DW Airlift stands

I like the snare stand, but I'm not a big fan of the double tom mount stand. The last thing I would want is my rack toms rotating out of position while being played. I always very much like stability in my drums.

Dennis

I'll put these in the corner with the pneumatic bearing edges and the tune bot

I like the snare stand, but I'm not a big fan of the double tom mount stand. The last thing I would want is my rack toms rotating out of position while being played. I always very much like stability in my drums.

Dennis

It has the same clamps though, the only thing about the airlift that is different is that the stand rises up when the clamp is off.

I think I'm actually offended by the level of marketing BS in that video. Hay guys, my stands already go up and down, and rotate too. Yes, geniuses, pretty much every stand ever made lets you rotate the top and base independently. That isnt a feature! And if you have to bend down to clamp it, what is the point of the thing? I can already bend down, unclamp, raise, and reclamp my snare stand.

I'll put these in the corner with the pneumatic bearing edges and the tune bot
Bah, don't diss the tunebot! You're just jealous that it's prettier than you are. :]

I think I'm actually offended by the level of marketing BS in that video. Hay guys, my stands already go up and down, and rotate too. Yes, geniuses, pretty much every stand ever made lets you rotate the top and base independently. That isnt a feature! And if you have to bend down to clamp it, what is the point of the thing? I can already bend down, unclamp, raise, and reclamp my snare stand.

I think you misunderstand the product. It has EXTREME ease of motion for less stressful adjustments and gravity does not affect the stand.

Obviously it is not for everyone, but still, bashing it?

I'm just a little confused about the purpose. Isn't that why we have memory locks??

They make a big deal in the video of having to adjust the stands once everything is set up and your behind the set. But, if you have the drums in the exact spots you've painstaking locked into the positions that you've personally chosen over hours of adjusting at home then why would you need to make vertical adjustments to the tom stands?? Did you grow taller that day or something?

These stands just seem like the answer to a question that has never been asked.

It has the same clamps though, the only thing about the airlift that is different is that the stand rises up when the clamp is off.

I understand, but at any height, the toms moved in a circular motion by just touching them with a finger. They didn't show that they could be locked so they wouldn't be so susceptible to very easy movement. In fact in the first demonstration showing the ease of rotating the toms, they quickly edited the shot as the drums started to turn by themselves in the opposite direction. This is the same for pneumatic drum thrones such as the Roc N Soc and Tama models. They'll stay put in a vertical fashion, but none that I know of will lock to to cease their movement in a circular rotation.

Dennis

To all the "why would you want your toms to rotate freely" people.....didn't any of you see the standard wingnut for adjusting the height on the base of the stand??? The FIRST thing that May did was loosen that wingnut (like you would do with ANY stand) to raise the stand. That mechanism isn't any different than a standard tom or snare stand. The toms don't rotate once you get everything in place, you turn the same wingnut you have always turned to lock everything in place.

The point of this is that as you adjust your stand, loosening the memory lock and loosening the height adjustment wingnut doesn't cause the whole thing to slide down and bang your toms into your bass drum or other equipment. I kind of like it. I can't afford it, but I do like it.

The FIRST thing that May did was loosen that wingnut
Yeah, and like I said, if you have to crawl under/behind it to loosen a wingnut, you've defeated the purpose of the device in the first place, as at that point it isn't really easier to deal with than any other stand.

Yeah, and like I said, if you have to crawl under/behind it to loosen a wingnut, you've defeated the purpose of the device in the first place, as at that point it isn't really easier to deal with than any other stand.

Seriously, what part of, "The stand is not affected by gravity, so you don't have to hold it up with one hand when the wing nut is loose" do you not understand?

Sometimes drummers are such divas.

I think this is a bit overboard. It probably has a nice price tag to. I honestly wouldn't use this stand even if it was given to me. How much do these stands weigh? I will stick with the old school stand they worked for me this long!

I watched the video for these last night and although it's an interesting idea, I don't see the use for most practical drummers. I use my memory locks, for my toms and floor tom legs, and typically don't fiddle with anything except for cymbal stands at a gig. I'm thinking about getting my pearl rack out again so I don't have to do that anymore. I bet they are expensive also. Most things with those two famous letters on them are!

To all the "why would you want your toms to rotate freely" people.....didn't any of you see the standard wingnut for adjusting the height on the base of the stand??? The FIRST thing that May did was loosen that wingnut (like you would do with ANY stand) to raise the stand.

Can you please give me the exact time when you saw him loosening the wingnut. I just looked at it again and didn't see his hands touching it. Not to be augmentative because I wouldn't purchase the stand anyway, but I would just like to see what you did.

Dennis

Can you please give me the exact time when you saw him loosening the wingnut. I just looked at it again and didn't see his hands touching it. Not to be augmentative because I wouldn't purchase the stand anyway, but I would just like to see what you did.

Dennis

1:33 and 4:50 for the snare stand.

The tom stand's wing nut was never touched and it should be obvious that it was not clamped.

And at ~2:06 Randall May, locks down the snare stand and says something like, "And now you can lock it down."

Last edited:
I like it. It makes total sense from its perspective.

Worth the extra $60?

Im assuming the replacement gas springs are $60 or more.

Cool, another rider demand, what rock star doesn't love that?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 375
1:33 and 4:50 for the snare stand.

The tom stand's wing nut was never touched and it should be obvious that it was not clamped.

And at ~2:06 Randall May, locks down the snare stand and says something like, "And now you can lock it down."

This is what I was saying about the wingnut on the double tom stand, no one ever loosened it on camera and the tom mounts wanted to turn on their own. I like the idea behind the snare stand since the locking mechanism is very easy to reach.

Dennis

This is what I was saying about the wingnut on the double tom stand, no one ever loosened it on camera and the tom mounts wanted to turn on their own. I like the idea behind the snare stand since the locking mechanism is very easy to reach.

Dennis

So, can we agree that in the video the tom stand's nut was loose the entire time and that the people in the video expected the viewer to understand that in a real life situation the would obviously tighten the nut so the toms don't move away from you?

Back