Jojo Mayer

JoJo is awesome, he's performing at the Drum Daze festival here in Columbus (day long clinic w/ many big name drummers). That will be a great day- and I use his little stick flip trick thing all the time too.

Well I'm still in awe of the guy. But... where are his "Nerve" CDs? And why does he tour in Austria and Switzerland but not the UK?

There is one cd of Nerve i think..
Well, ive download it, but it doesnt has a name.
It isnt very cool... stay with the modern drummer festival ... hahaha

Went to see Jojo at a drum clinic here in Cape Town last night. We never get this kind of thing, so seeing him in an awesome venue (I-max movie theatre with steep sloping seating) was a real treat.

What a humbling experience.

D&B, breakbeats etc. might not be everyone's cup of tea, but his whole approach to the clinic makes what he does so relevant. He manages to trace these modern styles back to old jazz, funk and soul roots and you realise what respect he has for MUSIC that speaks from a desire to create and move people, as opposed to a mere show of technique. Not that this man is lacking in the technique department.

At one stage he had to re-atttach his hi-hat clutch, but didn't stop his kick-drum improv or his chatting while doing so. He has incredible foot control, both on kick drum and hi-hat - sliding his special leather soled trainers back and forth across the pedal for a kind of up and down stroke.

And his hand speed and technique are inspiring. He pays great attention to getting many different voices from one instrument, so while he might just be playing on 2 snares, 1 kick, 3 toms and a modest selection of cymbals, his range of styles and sounds is almost endless.

Seems to be a pretty humble, grounded fellow too. I can highly recommend seeing him if he's ever in your neighbourhood.

Wish he did come to the UK! I think he is a brilliant musician and his technique is as someone mentioned inspiring. Just a joy to watch

Re: JoJo Mayer: Little Video

What a nice groove video. JoJo just impresses me with his groove, feel and skill. What a drummer...what a person.

PS: Wow, he was looking very shocked in the end though, haha what was the man in backround saying there?

Karl

He moves so smoothly. Just great. Man, what a player.

Sounds awsome. What is that sizzling rope thingy he has attached to his crash cymbal? I like the sound it gives.

What is that sizzling rope thingy he has attached to his crash cymbal?

It is the the same kind ogf ''rope'' that you hang army tags on, the one with a lot of tiny steel balls. It allmost makes the same sound as a rivet...

(You can also use the ''rings'' around the cabasa, that is what I use. Very practical...)

DogTag.jpg
MEINL_CABASA_300.jpg

Definitely one of my top 5 favorite drummers of all time, his right foot is not of this world. It's cool to see him just throwin' his chops around in a less-than-perfect manner...just casual.

I think he was getting into the zone and someone snapped him out of it there at the end...his eyes almost popped out of his head!

whoa! i always admired him for his drum'n'bass stuff, but now it turns out he's great in more downtempo beats! definitely one of the greatest of our times!

Hell....

Why does those fu... crazy events only take place in switzerland?! That's not fair... join the EU, for same conditions for everyone!

@Karl: Er sagt "Hey JoJo, d' hoascht koine CDs dabieh?" - "Neei."

Apropos, is the Nerve CD finally available, does anybody know?

But I'm pleased, he still wears the shirt... :)

Awesome Bernhard, Thanks. It was nice hear JoJo just laying down a great groove like that. Very tasteful and inspiring. I loved how the toms sounded as well.

Hah, Jojo is awesome. He came to South Africa for a drum clinic a few weeks ago and it was a humbling experience. Seems like a real down-to-earth guy too.

Back