Matt Helders

A

Andrew08

Cannot believe he did not have a mention before this.My favourite drummer at the minute unique,completly original,nice fills,powerful and i think he sets a good pace for the band

Favourite drum tracks

1.A certain romance
2.View from the afternoon
3.Balaclava
4.Old Yellow bricks
5. I'd bet you'd look good on the dancefloor

Any opinions about that.Also I think he uses a premier kit.Dont know about his cymbals.

Re: Matt Helders Arctic Monkeys

My old girlfriend were crazy about these guys. I despise them.

Regardless, he's a good drummer

is it him that didnt play drums before he joined the band. i think his mates needed a drummer so he thought he'd give it a go. a year later he had a number one album.

either he practiced hard or im wrong.

Ye it was the only instrument left and at the start he didnt have a kit at home he had leave in his friends house and could only practice with the band.....

Cannot believe he did not have a mention before this.My favourite drummer at the minute unique,completly original,nice fills,powerful and i think he sets a good pace for the band

Favourite drum tracks

1.A certain romance
3.Balaclava
4.Old Yellow bricks

Any opinions about that.Also I think he uses a premier kit.Dont know about his cymbals.
He used Zildjian, I think

Lol, i just posted on a topic same as this.. :-DD

anyway, here is his equipment

Equipment

-Premier Gen-X Series: Arctic White 24"x18" Bass Drum 16"x16" Floor Tom 13"x8" Rack Tom Ludwig Vistalight 14"x4.5" Snare

-Pearl 2000 Series: X2 Snare Stand (one for Tom and one for snare)

-DW 9000 Hardware: Kick drum pedal- 9500 Hi Hat stand X2 9710 Straight Cymbal Stand

-Evans Drumheads: Snare Evans EC Coated, EC2 Clear Toms, EMAD2 Kick Drum

-Zildjian: 14" Avedis Mastersounds Hi-Hats 18" A Custom Fast Crash 20" A Series Crash Ride Gibson SG as bass drum

Favourite drum tracks

1.A certain romance
3.Balaclava
4.Old Yellow bricks

My band play all those songs haha! We don't really like Old Yellow Bricks though.

Here's some more EQ:

RCI with Premier Hardware (LUGS):
Solid White and Clear Spiral
24"x18" Bass Drum
16"x16" Floor Tom
13"x8" Rack Tom
Ludwig Vistalight 14"x4.5" Snare
Pearl Drums 2000 Series: X2 Snare Stand (one for Tom and one for snare)
Drum Workshop 9000 Hardware: Kick drum pedal- 9500 Hi Hat stand X2 9710 Straight Cymbal Stand
Evans Drumheads: Snare Evans EC Coated, EC2 Clear Toms, EMAD2 Kick Drum
Zildjian: 14" Avedis Mastersounds Hi-Hats 18" A Custom Fast Crash 20" A Series Crash Ride (He has used a lot of Cymbals, all Zildjian though. Zildjian K, Zildjians A Customs, A Series. etc A lot of them.)

711DRUMMICS.web.jpg

Matt is my favorite drummer in the world. He's not the best but he's my favorite.

A pic of his kit from the RCI website.

http://www.rcidrums.com/gallery/white-clear-spiral-starlite-kit.html#lightbox-holder

I remember when they first put out this kit they had some stage pics with the kit back lit, and damn was it nice

And below is a vid of Helders on the kit in action with the rest of the band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4NqMezxqYU

And I'd have to agree with you Ced, very original drumming. At least a lot of other drummers in the similar genres aren't cookin' like Helders. I really like how he changed his sound on the new stuff as well (more tom oriented patterns). I was afraid it would've been another album full of blistering hi hat work, not that I don't like that.

Its kool people know alot about this guy! Hes my fave drummer easily because i drum very much like him ha :).
jus few questions thoe, i always thort he had a 24" X 18" bass drum, but ive recently bin doing alot of research into his kit because im interested in gettin a series kit and other websites are telling me tht he has a 22" X 16" inch bass drum. I would just think there making it up and guesin but there solid websites which may have got the info from premier or him. Where did u lot find out about his bass drum being 24"?
Owhh and also everywhere ses that he has a 13" X 8" rack tom, but there not in the specs on the premier webpage, altho they have prbly made that for him sepcially, jus like his white kit because its actually white "sparkle" and they do not sell that.
Would alos be very nice if anyone new a dealer who could get me the sizes of series drums i would like?

Thanks guys

Its kool people know alot about this guy! Hes my fave drummer easily because i drum very much like him ha :).
jus few questions thoe, i always thort he had a 24" X 18" bass drum, but ive recently bin doing alot of research into his kit because im interested in gettin a series kit and other websites are telling me tht he has a 22" X 16" inch bass drum. I would just think there making it up and guesin but there solid websites which may have got the info from premier or him. Where did u lot find out about his bass drum being 24"?
Owhh and also everywhere ses that he has a 13" X 8" rack tom, but there not in the specs on the premier webpage, altho they have prbly made that for him sepcially, jus like his white kit because its actually white "sparkle" and they do not sell that.
Would alos be very nice if anyone new a dealer who could get me the sizes of series drums i would like?

Thanks guys

he does not have a 24x18, his white premier series maple kit is a 22x16 bass drum, 13x8 rack tom, 16x16. ( http://www.premier-percussion.co.uk/newsarticle.asp?id=4351 ) (on the old premier website) they do and have always made 13x8 toms. his white kit is "arctic white" not sparkle

his previous premier kit was a premier seires gen-x in champagne sparkle

go to the new premier site and browse, you'll be able to find the same/similar spec ( http://drumset.premier-percussion.com/catalogue/drumsets/premier-series-elite-2 )

:)

btw everyone get a roc-n-soc throne!!, i've got a red one like matt, comfiest thing ever!!!!

Hey guys,

I was just wondering about the specs on Matt's new snare drum. I am building a custom snare drum and want to achieve the same sound as he does, so I was wondering if anyone knows or can tell what bearing edges/snare bed his new maple 14x6.5" May have.
Or how I could I achieve the sound

Favourite drum tracks

1.A certain romance
3.Balaclava
4.Old Yellow bricks

I am not a huge fan of Arctic Monkeys. I think Gordon Brown put me off :)

Needless to say I am a big Iggy Pop and Josh Homme fan and just watched Sunday on Graham Norton and thought the drummer had a nice groove and good use of dynamics and at the end they said it was Matt Helders.

I was surprised as I thought they would have chosen someone from the punk or rock community as unusual for a pop musician to crossover in that way but I enjoyed his playing and thought he was good and had a nice groove.

I am not a huge fan of Arctic Monkeys. I think Gordon Brown put me off :)

Needless to say I am a big Iggy Pop and Josh Homme fan and just watched Sunday on Graham Norton and thought the drummer had a nice groove and good use of dynamics and at the end they said it was Matt Helders.

I was surprised as I thought they would have chosen someone from the punk or rock community as unusual for a pop musician to crossover in that way but I enjoyed his playing and thought he was good and had a nice groove.

You think the Arctic Monkeys are a pop band?
They definitely fall into the indie rock bracket.

You think the Arctic Monkeys are a pop band?
They definitely fall into the indie rock bracket.

I do not really see them in the vein of The Vines and The Hives which is more what I would call indie.

Technically indie just means independent label so many bands are indie.

Definitely not rock though unless they are the sort of band who would get in Kerrang these days. Their influences sound more Oasis like than any proper rock bands.

Compared to what I listen to they are poppy but I take your point they are not insert your own pop band name here as I do not know any. Taylor Swift thought of one.

Back