Thinking about a Mini Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't waste your money. I have worked in the auto biz since 1975 and I can assure you that Mini's are crap.

I can't speak for the general brand reliability, but I had one of the very first "new" Cooper S models (supercharged) in the UK. Ran it for 3 years & over 120,000 miles without fault outside of service components. Great little point & squirt car. I recently drove the new turbocharged version, & found it to be a little boring by comparison, & a touch on the bulky side too.

I can't speak for the general brand reliability, but I had one of the very first "new" Cooper S models (supercharged) in the UK. Ran it for 3 years & over 120,000 miles without fault outside of service components. Great little point & squirt car. I recently drove the new turbocharged version, & found it to be a little boring by comparison, & a touch on the bulky side too.

Wow, Andy, 40,000 miles a year! I thought my 30K/yr was a lot.

Don't know anything about the mini-cooper sorry, but it looks like a practical buy.

Don't waste your money. I have worked in the auto biz since 1975 and I can assure you that Mini's are crap.
I had one of the very first "new" Cooper S models (supercharged) in the UK. Ran it for 3 years & over 120,000 miles without fault outside of service components...

Mmmh... different opinions, its it good or bad?

There's only one way to find out.....

.... FIGHT!!!!!

Wow, Andy, 40,000 miles a year! I thought my 30K/yr was a lot.
That was 10 years ago Jeff. Now I'm down to around 25,000/year.

Mmmh... different opinions, its it good or bad?

There's only one way to find out.....

.... FIGHT!!!!!
Noooo - Bob may well be right. I can only sight my experience with one vehicle. Bob's experience is likely encompassing many vehicles, as well as industry chatter.

That said (& here's were I really get into hot water), most NA made cars are so agricultural in their engineering that reliability is possibly the only bonus to owning one other than the satisfaction of burning cheap fuel with wild abandon ;)

Slightly off topic... Andy and I went for a ride in his Audi A6, I can tell you that the car can fly (literally),
More like "falling with style" ;)

The ride quality is below industry standard for the price range.
The ergonomics of the interior, seat comfort, controls, etc, are below average for the price of the vehicle.
The auto transmission is terrible.
The power steering system is a joke.
The cars are time consuming to repair, thus driving up maint costs.
There is no spare tire, so expensive Run Flat tires are required.
Crap is crap!
I do make a lot of money on them though :)

Bob, do they have an interference motor? im worried about engine damage that keeps being mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back