Best drum teacher in youtube

Well, in order for someone to have a valid opinion they're going to have to say they took lessons with so-and-so.

Nah, not at all. I know whether or not they've got something to teach me just by watching their youtube clips. I've picked up heaps of tips, ideas and new approaches from watching vids by many of the guys listed in this thread. They're still teaching and I'm still learning even though we've never spoken. There's lots of guys who I could confidently recommend someone else check out on that basis alone.

Hey Guys!

I think that there are very good teachers in Youtube, and I´m trying to be one of them.

Check out my Drum Lessons channel: www.youtube.com/vitorlambert
There you can find tips, technique, musical styles and song tutorials with full drum score.

I´m from Brazil, and all the videos have english subtitles, hope it can be useful.

All the best,
Vitor Lambert

Mike Johnston is probably one of my favorite, he's really good at explaining concepts or ideas. I also really like Troy Wright's video's, and he covers like every meshuggah song on drums which is one of my favorite bands as well as Animals As Leaders. But other than that there's just so many different people putting out lessons, I think it can be good to watch the same thing from multiple people. Sometimes it just takes someone to word it slightly differently for it to click in your head. Also there is so many highly rated and respected drum video's that have been uploaded to youtube that are really worth watching.

I honestly haven't seen a YouTube "teacher" that really motivated me and inspired me.

I get so much better information and inspiration from DVD's of established drummers who are true masters of their craft like Tommy Igoe, JoJo Mayer, Dave Weckl, etc.

These DVDs are great, and the beginner/fundimentals stuff noted by previous posters is useful.

But I have learned a lot from YouTube too. For example, I thing JohnX does a great job of breaking down the Purdie shuffle and Bonham triplets, among other things:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPvs5TYMCpir1TJaWLNXPNg

And young Rob at DrumsTheWord does a great job of demonstrating complex fills (e.g. Gadd on Aja) and songs:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx8U5D6PzuT09wQd6h7lOlQ

Stephen Taylor is a great youtube teacher. I've learned a ton from watching his videos. Alex Ribchester is pretty good too, though he's not as experienced.

I have to go with either Jenns Hannemann or Wailin Smash ;)

Jens's flam-rests are awesome, and very well explained.

Right now I'm working on something I invented myself. With a bit of work I think it could become the 41st rudiment.

I call it the Blast Rest (tm), pat pending. It's perfect for quiet heavy metal songs.

For stick technique and rudiments, Bill Bachman.
He doesn't have all his videos for free on YT, but there's a lot. I took his 2 week free course offer to soak up and download his lessons as much as possible.
No one "teaches" better than he- most others talk way too much; play too short a time to grasp completely; don't provide the "student's perspective" as well in their explanations or demonstrations-- I could go on and on. Bill speaks what is needed, walks through each step of the techniques in clear detail, visually shows exactly what he is speaking about close up, repeats instructions multiple times do ensure absorption. You can easily interact with his lessons, several times, a very hands on approach.

Some of the drummers mentioned might be very good drummers, but mediocre teachers, assuming they are imparting knowledge simply by speaking out too quickly their lessons or buzzing through a technique so quickly the fine points are glazed over.
Not so with Bill, who IMO is simply the best at teaching the material he does.

Another thumbs up for Dr. John Wooten. His playing is solid as a rock, gives great explanation, and is a professional teacher, so he knows how to best present material. Still, there is no substitute for a hands on, in person teacher.

I will LOL if anyone says Jared Falk

Why is that? I for one greatly appreciate his videos and i would recommend them for anybody who is new to drumming. Superfriendly, kinda funny, crystal clear...what qualities is he missing as a teacher in your opinion? Someone has to teach basics as well ;-)

Why is that? I for one greatly appreciate his videos and i would recommend them for anybody who is new to drumming. Superfriendly, kinda funny, crystal clear...what qualities is he missing as a teacher in your opinion? Someone has to teach basics as well ;-)
I've learned quite a few grooves by watching Jared and downloading his transcriptions.
He is no nonsense, with non-ego, clear instructions, and fun to watch!
You don't need a world-class drummer to be an excellent teacher, although he has chops for days in many respects. I can't say the same thing about some of the other drum-teachers on his site, however.
The most frustrating thing for me in trying to learn a groove, pattern, technique on video is to have some showboat rushing through a lesson, or speaking too little, or not showing the technique step by step, then madly showing off their chops full speed-- as if a student could absorb that info so quickly. One would have to be already proficient at performing the grooves these "teachers" explain in order to even follow along.

Keep going on as you have, Jared- you are truly unique and a pleasure to learn from- Same holds true for Bill Bachman, whose instructions are so clear to follow along.

Back