MIXER FOR DRUM RECORDING

timwilson17

Hey Guys,

Any advice on a good mixer / interface for recording drums? I recently bought a Macbook Pro and a Shure PGDMK4 mic kit, now I need something to bridge the gap between the two. I'm almost completely new to self-recording so any replies are welcome. Thanks!

- Tim

Hi Tim,

I use a MBP and the Shure PGDMK6 mic kit with a Yamaha MG166CXUSB mixer. It's a great combination, with perhaps a few short cummings if I wanted to be picky about it. It has USB but it's 1.1 and therefore only good for Stereo recording unlike the much better 2.0 the MBP has or better yet it's Firewire port. Either of those would allow for Multi Channel recording. The other thing on this board that could be better is the Compressor. It's a single knob 'one turn does all' type of thing as opposed to being able to control all the individual aspects that make up compression. But, at $399 it was still an excellent buy that creates great sound.

Get that Tascam US-1641 (or the newer upgraded one). It's got 8 XLR inputs and USB 2.0 and with your MacBook and GarageBand it'll be awesome. Of course, you might want to get better software, but GB will get ya' started.

I use a Korg D888 hard disk recorder. It's a really basic unit with an analogue mixer and a few FX thrown in but I love it for it's simplicity. It does what it says on the tin: records 8 tracks simultaneously and exports via USB. It's got 80GB of hard drive space I think - haven't used it for a while. Also means you haven't gotta take your computer with you to where you record and it eliminates possible weak links in a chain between an interface and computer.

If you're after something simple and easy to use and can make do with 8 tracks, I'd go for one.

I use a Korg D888 hard disk recorder. It's a really basic unit with an analogue mixer and a few FX thrown in but I love it for it's simplicity. It does what it says on the tin: records 8 tracks simultaneously and exports via USB. It's got 80GB of hard drive space I think - haven't used it for a while. Also means you haven't gotta take your computer with you to where you record and it eliminates possible weak links in a chain between an interface and computer.

If you're after something simple and easy to use and can make do with 8 tracks, I'd go for one.

When I was shopping for one of these things (which was the reason I went with the Zoom R16), the guys at Sam Ash told me the Korg was no longer being made and were trying to blow out the last two they had.

I forgot to mention that even my lowly R16, in addition to being a stand-alone recorder, can also be used as an interface to get stuff into your computer, but at almost $400, it costs more than the Tascam device because it is a stand-alone. But it's something else to consider.

I have a Yamaha N12 that comes with cubase AI4. It is a great mixer that can be used the old school way by mixing with the nobs, sliders, on board compressors, and reverb, or mixed with the computer. It uses Firewire, so it is fast and carries all the signals separately to your computer. It also has great pre-amps which is very important for the sound quality.

Back