Drummers Anxiety...

As of tonight I'm now dating this amazing girl which I've had my eye on for some time now. She means the world to me, which of coarse made crossing the friendship barrier one of the hardest things I've ever done. All the pressures you get working for and against you.

This brings up my question for you guys...

Are the anxieties of performing to an audience not just as mind boggling.

Tell me what you think...

I've never had experience drumming in front of an audiece but everytime I have to make a speech or something at school I get really scared :-(

But different people handle it different ways

i'd rather drum infront of a girl i liked than talk to her for the first time

maybe thats the nerd in me or maybe im just more confident with my playing than my chat up lines.....

Yea i'm more comfortable playing than chatting...

I'd rather play for her, have HER come up to ME and compliment me or something...lol.

Just gotta hope she doesn't go up to the guitarist...

Geez! And I thought girls thought too much about relationships! Here's some advice when talking to girls.

1. Compliment her in some way, but don't say anything about her weight. Compliment clothing, jewelry, hair, etc.
2. Take an interest in her recent activities.
3. If she isn't musical, don't talk about how Bonham is better than Peart or whatever. If she is musical, then you're lucky.
4. BE A GENTLEMAN! Don't ask her to do something that would get this thread closed. I think you know what I'm talking about.

HAHAHA. I know that's right. But yeah I've always been more comfortable when I'm playing than when Im talking to a girl. Because when I'm playing the sky is the limit and there are no boundaries, but when you're talking to women you have to keep on and off certain things.

Congrats sk8erpnkmt369

That's good news that you nabbed a girl that you feel is amazing and you have had your eye on.

In response to your question the only answer I can give is that you are more than likely more experienced with drumming compared to girls and relationships. With drumming you are more comfortable while the dating scene and girls are still somewhat of a mystery and nerveracking... probabaly much like your first gig was.

In time the nerves will settle... hopefully.

Congrats sk8erpnkmt369

That's good news that you nabbed a girl that you feel is amazing and you have had your eye on.

In response to your question the only answer I can give is that you are more than likely more experienced with drumming compared to girls and relationships. With drumming you are more comfortable while the dating scene and girls are still somewhat of a mystery and nerveracking... probabaly much like your first gig was.

In time the nerves will settle... hopefully.

Thanks man!

But yes, that is a great comparison, my first gig made me crazy. I was so nervous and curious to see the reaction.

I think we've all been there.

but you're absolutely right, I'm so much more comfortable with playing drums than talking to girls.

Yea i'm more comfortable playing than chatting...

I'd rather play for her, have HER come up to ME and compliment me or something...lol.

thats why i play guitar now. ha.

I've never really had anxiety playing for people or talking to girls. i just kinda see everybody as just people so I dont get to worked up over impressing them. I still might get a little nervous but not like the kind of nervous before you jump out of a plane. And with girls it seems like its all about confidence. the more confident you are the less likely things will end poorly. like when you play more confident, you are less likely to overthink and screw up.

Interesting, i've never picked up a girl before as a result of drumming. Lucky you lot.

hahaha

I did, been with her for over 25yrs now... :)

When I play live, I tune out the audience and tune in the band members to focus. Everyone that plays live has different tricks that work for them.

4. BE A GENTLEMAN! Don't ask her to do something that would get this thread closed. I think you know what I'm talking about.

You mean that thing involving the two of you, a drum throne and the seductive sound of your own reggae groove?

I'm sorry, I had to go there... I know you've all thought about it.

Hey, would you like to join drummerworld and start a pollitical / religious debate in the Drummers Anxiety thread for me? That would be great...

I too am better at sitting down behind a kit and breaking out a groove than talking to a girl out of nowhere.
I have the most amazing girlfriend, we got hooked up by mutual friends who sent us on a blind date but we got in touch before the date. The first time we spoke was over IM, which is easy since I am not nervous then... after IM we got to the stage of one-hour phone calls, and then came the date which was a double date with afforementioned mutual friends who had been dating for a while at that time... so it's been really easy for me so far.

You know i have to agree with most of you. I would rather play than go up to her directly. I would rather text or im. and that makes the last step so much easier.

Hmm i've always thought that whole IM thing was a bit of a cop-out. The last time i tried to pick up any girls was with this method. That was years ago and guess what? They already had boyfriends. My guess is that they're probably much more likely to go out with a lad that's actually brave enough to meet them face to face.

I remember my first show... and I was so nervous, but once I got behind the kit I was pleasntly surprised how comfortable I became... I still had a hard time remembering the songs LOL (only had 3 days to learn a set) but i was comfy none the less.

Back