PDP LTD Bubinga-Maple 20 Ply Snare

stellar92010

Looking fotr a really cracking snare that I can afford. I saw some of these PDP Bubinga-Maple 20 Ply snares on E-bay for $200. Anyone know anything about them? Why are they inexpensive? Would they benefit from better hardware? Also, what is the tonal difference between 7x13, 6.5x14, and 5x14? Anyone can explain it to me, I would appreciate it.

Re: PDP LTD Bubinga-Mzple 20 Ply Snare

I have the 6.5 x 14 and the 8 x 14 versions of this drum, simply amazing for the money and then some. already has DW mag throw and sturdy 2.3mm hoops so unless you put die cast on I don't see a need for upgrading hardware. They are so cheap because of cheap Chinese labor and I think DW is really trying to launch PDP. The tonal differences will be subtle, the 6.5 x 14 will have a little more body and depth than the 5 x 14 and the 8 x 14 will have even more but slightly less sensitive, that's why 6.5 is considered the most versatile size a good blend of body and sensitivity, the 13 x 7 is a good size as well and will be a bit punchier than the 14" sizes. I have a video on you tube where I compare my 6.5 x 14 and 8 x 14 and you can hear the subtle differences.

Mine comes today..hurry up UPS!!! I spent the last week plus deciding on a $200 snare..I prefer wood due to the band I'm in now (British invasion) I didn't want to go over 200 but narrowed it down to 1. a used Grestch 14 x 5 full range maple $200 shipped 2. used Tama SLP 14 x 6 power snare for 240 3. a DDrum vintone 14 x 7 mahogany (probably the best choice soundwise for my band) it was a new "B" stock $224 and last the new PDP 20 ply which I went with.. I realize for the money the Grestch or Tama was probably the best deal..used usually is..but really wanted to try this monster and if for some reason I dont like it I'll send it back or strip it for hardware which is worth the price paid anyway.
Zarrdoss- Thanks for the video..it helped with my desicion

Mine comes today..hurry up UPS!!! I spent the last week plus deciding on a $200 snare..I prefer wood due to the band I'm in now (British invasion) I didn't want to go over 200 but narrowed it down to 1. a used Grestch 14 x 5 full range maple $200 shipped 2. used Tama SLP 14 x 6 power snare for 240 3. a DDrum vintone 14 x 7 mahogany (probably the best choice soundwise for my band) it was a new "B" stock $224 and last the new PDP 20 ply which I went with.. I realize for the money the Grestch or Tama was probably the best deal..used usually is..but really wanted to try this monster and if for some reason I dont like it I'll send it back or strip it for hardware which is worth the price paid anyway.
Zarrdoss- Thanks for the video..it helped with my desicion

Did you go with the 6.5 x 14? I don't think you will be disappointed, be sure and get some decent heads on it, wires are OK, I am using them.

I'm really getting tempted to pull the trigger on a 13x7 Bubinga-maple 20 ply, but it will slow down my purchase of a 14x5 pearl reference snare by $199.

Ouch! 900 clams for a snare! I don't think I could bring myself to spend that much on just one snare $400 was bad enough. Some of my most favorite snares are my less expensive ones. Oh well to each his own.

I really can't justify the reference snare (New) when there are fine options for a couple hundred bucks. Looks like I'm going to have to get the.....13x7 PDP ltd and hope that a Reference snare turns up cheap someday on E-bay.

I really can't justify the reference snare (New) when there are fine options for a couple hundred bucks. Looks like I'm going to have to get the.....13x7 PDP ltd and hope that a Reference snare turns up cheap someday on E-bay.

I hope you enjoy it! If you find it lacking some bite, try some die-cast or S-hoops ($80 or $40 for a set, respectively). That will bring it even closer to a Reference type sound. Enjoy it!

Putting decent heads on it made a huge difference for mine. The Aquarian Hi-energy and Hi-velocity sound huge on this. Die cast hoops would be interesting, at least on the batter, hmmmmm.......

Got the 6.5 and really like it..I did change the top head to Evans HD dry (fav snare head)..and lookng into some die cast hoops for it..but for the big news it came damaged!! the adjuster on the throw-off was bent...just a little but enough to where you know it when you turn it..I put it back in the box and it was easy to see the knob lined up perfect with a hole in the box..I cant believe pdp doesnt protect the throw-offs with something..anyway the people at Explorer have been great and contacted DW and a brand new throw off is on the way..as for the sound with the new head..nice focussed crack with body..great backbeat snare drum.. I really believe it is one of the best if not thee best deals for a piece of new gear out there..hey sounds like that could be a new thread..best deal for new gear ever!

Got the 6.5 and really like it..I did change the top head to Evans HD dry (fav snare head)..and lookng into some die cast hoops for it..but for the big news it came damaged!! the adjuster on the throw-off was bent...just a little but enough to where you know it when you turn it..I put it back in the box and it was easy to see the knob lined up perfect with a hole in the box..I cant believe pdp doesnt protect the throw-offs with something..anyway the people at Explorer have been great and contacted DW and a brand new throw off is on the way..as for the sound with the new head..nice focussed crack with body..great backbeat snare drum.. I really believe it is one of the best if not thee best deals for a piece of new gear out there..hey sounds like that could be a new thread..best deal for new gear ever!

With the kinds of hardware and manufacturing processes that happen today, I think that that happens extremely often. There are so many great mid-level priced options out there that will work for practically any situation out there. Snares, kits, and hardware, there are just a ton of great deals out there. Cymbals- maybe not as much, but hey.

Found a 5x14 in a second-hand shop and grabbed it. Cranked it and was very happy with the outcome. Very fat. Little bit of ring but nothing with which I cannot live. Happy days.

Back