Best Starter kit?

expect

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a drum kit which is best for starters like me. I'm looking over the internet to see what is the best brand / model for my level. I've read a lot of reviews regarding:

TAMA Rhythm mate
Pearl Target
Ludwig Accent Series

Can you give me some tips / advise? Your suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm not a big fan of the double post tom holders used on the Pearl and Ludwig, so that alone would make me go Tama. Other than that, all three kits are pretty much on even ground. Very competitive, the entry level market. All the makers have to stay abreast of the competition, or be left in the dust.​

If you have a little more to spend, the Gretsch Catalina Club kits are great.
Of the ones you listed I would go with the Tama. In my opinion it has best hardware, best build quality, etc.

If you have a little more to spend, the Gretsch Catalina Club kits are great.
Of the ones you listed I would go with the Tama. In my opinion it has best hardware, best build quality, etc.

:( I cannot afford Gretsch Catalina kits. BTW which will you recommend in terms of symbals. For example I bought the TAMA. Sabian b8 or Zildjian ZBT?

Sabian b8 or Zildjian ZBT?

Neither. Buy used pro cymbals, like Paiste 2002 or Zildjian A Custom. You'll thank me later.
If you buy cheap cymbals, you'll end up throwing them away after like a year. But pro cymbals will last you a lifetime, and cost you about as much if you buy them used.

Also check out Mapex Voyager. Used drums and cymbals are the best way to go, if they are available where you live. Of course, checking them out personally is best. If you buy starter drums, they will not come with good heads.

If you have to, or just want to, buy new cymbals, try to at least get Sabian B8Pro, Zildjian ZHT, or Paiste PST5. Some of those sound OK. Even better would be Sabian XS20.

Good luck, and welcome to drumming. We get to hit things, and people like it.

Compare the brands and ask yourself theses questions:

1) Do the drums sound good? Are they too loud/soft/boomy/etc. for the music I want to play? Most kits in your price range probably use the same wood and sound the same, with a nice open warm tone. Also does the kit come with a wood or metal snare and what kind do you want? Metal is brighter and cutting with a nice ring, wood is warmer sounding with a nice fat tone.

2) is the hardware good? Beginner kits used to come with horribly bad hardware that wasn't functional and would break (I should know!) but now they all have great hardware. See how heavy the stands are, how the pedals adjust and feel, how the cymbal stands adjust, etc.

3) Do you like the finish? Once you buy the kit the color will be there always, unless you go to the trouble or repainting them.

4) Are they too expensive? Will I have enough left to buy cymbals and a nice throne? Don't go cheap on the throne and cymbals unless you plan to buy piece by piece. Get nice everything, not just nice drums!

Go on guitar center and look at the used drums. You can find nice drums for $300-400. Cymbals and hardware might cost you a little more. You might just want to look for used hi hats and maybe a crash or ride. Save for later on the cymbals you don't have to have.

I prefer kit which is less than $500. Would it be enough?

I was just in the same boat as yourself, and you should be able to get a great deal if you buy a used kit. You can get into something like a Yamaha Stage Custom at that price, they are all over craigslist. You can find some full Yamaha Stage Custom kits for around $250 to $500, and then you can use whatever you have left over for a good cymbal or two.

Like you, I am new to drums, so I cannot comment on other brands, but most people here at Drummer World suggested the Yamaha Stage Custom. I picked up a used all birch Stage Custom and I couldn't be happier. I am sure there are some other great brands out there you can get too, but I suggest getting a good used kit. Good luck.

Agree with everything here:

1) look used. It's a bit more hassle, and a little more risk, but the rewards are much greater. If it is CL ad or similar, you can always post it here for the members opinions on it.

2) cymbals and heads are more important than drums. Don't blow all your budget on drums and spend $12 on cymbals because you'll wince every time you hit them. You can alter the tone of a drum, but not a cymbal.

3) quality over quantity. It's better to have a 4 pc kit with a good hi hat and ride cymbal, that a 3 trillion piece kit make of spit and balsar wood with cling film heads. Heck, even if you start with just kick, snare and hi-hats, and they are cool sounding, you can learn a hell of a lot!

Good luck and welcome to the world of the tub thumpers!!!

:( I cannot afford Gretsch Catalina kits. BTW which will you recommend in terms of symbals. For example I bought the TAMA. Sabian b8 or Zildjian ZBT?

I'm going to go against the grain here. I would recommend the B8's over the ZBT's. B8's are fine for beginners. You might not even stick with drumming. I would suggest buying used B8's off ebay or something. If you can afford better gear than go for it. But since you're a beginner, worrying about pro level gear is a little ridiculous at this point since you don't even play yet.

I'm going to go against the grain here. I would recommend the B8's over the ZBT's. B8's are fine for beginners. You might not even stick with drumming. I would suggest buying used B8's off ebay or something. If you can afford better gear than go for it. But since you're a beginner, worrying about pro level gear is a little ridiculous at this point since you don't even play yet.

That's a good point, but if he decided that drumming was not for him, he could probably resell the better quality cymbals and drum set and get his money back.

Also check out Mapex Voyager. Used drums and cymbals are the best way to go, if they are available where you live. Of course, checking them out personally is best. If you buy starter drums, they will not come with good heads.

If you have to, or just want to, buy new cymbals, try to at least get Sabian B8Pro, Zildjian ZHT, or Paiste PST5. Some of those sound OK. Even better would be Sabian XS20.

Good luck, and welcome to drumming. We get to hit things, and people like it.

Thanks! Do you have any idea how much does a brand new MAPEX Voyager, Horizon and Meridian cost?

ask 12 pros and you'll get 12 different answers.

the Tama kit and Sabian B8's will be fine.

you want to start at a good place. the Tama kit has universally respected hardware and a Tama kit all for $599. the throne is crap. you'll need a new one. you can do that in time.

can you find a better deal going used ? yes. but....you don't know what you're looking for. do you know good hardware from bad ? do you know a good used kit from a bad one ? do you know what out-of-round means ? probably not. do you want to pick and choose items one at a time as they become available ?

get the Tama. it will come with a warranty. get B8 cymbals. they are fine for starting. as your ear develops and you know what you ultimately need, you can add other items one at a time or so.

in the meantime you will have a good foundation in kit, hardware and cymbals. and hardware that will not need to be replaced unless you just fancy something different later on.

Last edited:
ask 12 pros and you'll get 12 different answers.

the Tama kit and Sabian B8's will be fine.

you want to start at a good place. the Tama kit has universally respected hardware and a Tama kit all for $599. the throne is crap. you'll need a new one. you can do that in time.

can you find a better deal going used ? yes. but....you don't know what you're looking for. do you know good hardware from bad ? do you know a good used kit from a bad one ? do you know what out-of-round means ? probably not. do you want to pick and choose items one at a time as they become available ?

get the Tama. it will come with a warranty. get B8 cymbals. they are fine for starting. as your ear develops and you know what you ultimately need, you can add other items one at a time or so.

in the meantime you will have a good foundation in kit, hardware and cymbals. and hardware that will not need to be replaced unless you just fancy something different later on.

Thank you so much!! Your suggestion really help. I got your point on building my foundation first and so on I can decide which of which am I looking for.

Back