Brush Drumming Inspiration

Without a doubt, Vernal Fournier was the greatest master of the brushes. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of videos of him (that I know of). But, every student of the brushes should get the Amad Jamal trio albums that Vernal plays on.

I agree, Vernel Fournier is amazing, and one of my biggest inspirations. He does some of his best work with the Ahmad Jamal Trio on the Cross Country Tour 1958-'61 album. The solo he takes on "Cherokee" is an incredible display of musical dexterity, not to mention the beat to "Poinciana" is so catchy I could play it for days!

A few years late...but Paul Motian needs to be on this list. Check out some of his brush work, particularly with the Bill Evans Trio (Scott Lafaro on bass). Tasteful, colorful, not confined to any construct - easily my favorite brush artist.

Ed Soph has some nice youtube videos on brush technique. Vernel Fournier with Ahmad
Jamal Trio (1958 cross country tour) for listening....but these guys are jazz.

Got to give some love to Art Taylor here. I believe, a very underrated brush player. Check out his work with Red Garland for a good place to start. "A Garland of Red" is great. "Red in Bluesville" is all brushes.

There's also the classic "Overseas" record by Tommy Flanagan with Elvin Jones. It's all brushes as well.

I like Billy Higgins a lot-- give a listen to Pat Metheny's Rejoicing and Don Cherry's Art Deco. Joey Baron is also a great-- check out Bill Frisell's Where In The World for a lot of good non-straight-ahead brush playing. You have to listen to Vernel Fournier, too. Also Elvin Jones's record The Ultimate.

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of Florian Alexandru Zorn's "The Brush Secret" DVD.

On this he demonstrates many non-traditional brush grooves and some seldom seen approaches. I was especially motivated to work on my horizontal articulation
He has a YouTube channel as well.

Jim

+1 for Zorn.

A couple of names to add from the jazz world: Connie Kay of MJQ fame, and John Poole who played and was manager for Anita O'Day for over 30 years. John Poole is my personal favorite. Truthfully every name mentioned here is great.

Dittos on John Poole! I love Anita's singing and found John through her. (also have read her
bio) John's brushes are great!

Florian Alexandru-Zorn was mentioned already... He has a fresh/modern approach to the brushes and also experiments with the context brushes can be used in.

Here's his frame drum solo from his 2012 DVD "The Brush Secret":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS_wBIA0WqU

And another solo (Orchestral Solo) from his upcoming new DVD "The Brush Revolution". Florian has some world music background that adds to his style apart from the pronounced use of the linear motion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3I5S2CoE68&feature=em-uploademail

One guy who never gets enough attention is Steve Williams (Shirley Horn).

He swings as hard as anyone and plays the brushes beautifully.

Amazing player.

Check out Horn's "The Main Ingredient" to start... That album also features Billy Hart and Elvin Jones. Incredible album.

I've been getting a lot of mileage out of Florian Alexandru Zorn's "The Brush Secret" DVD.

On this he demonstrates many non-traditional brush grooves and some seldom seen approaches. I was especially motivated to work on my horizontal articulation
He has a YouTube channel as well.

Jim

This guy is awesome ... totally agree.

Davo

Back