Instantly recognizable drummers

And some people believe L. Ron Hubbard. Doesn't mean that makes any sense either.

You know, for a forum that is supposed to welcome and respect all ideas and opinions, some people seem to be pretty closed minded and negative towards that very thing. I guess I should just join the conga line of people who want to praise Ringo's playing and also say that Yamaha drums are the best thing ever.

You know, for a forum that is supposed to welcome and respect all ideas and opinions, some people seem to be pretty closed minded and negative towards that very thing. I guess I should just join the conga line of people who want to praise Ringo's playing and also say that Yamaha drums are the best thing ever.

I hear you, bro. Loud and clear. It's like the Borg.

Best got the boot because he was better looking than the other guys. They just got lucky with Ringo.

Last edited:
You know, for a forum that is supposed to welcome and respect all ideas and opinions, some people seem to be pretty closed minded and negative towards that very thing.

I respect the right others have to their opinions and ideas. I have no respect for the notion that those opinions and ideas can't be held up to scrutiny though.

Some opinions are ill-conceived, ignorant or just plain idiotic. I'd suggest the ability to understand the difference is about as open minded as it gets, wouldn't you?

I guess I should just join the conga line of people who want to praise Ringo's playing and also say that Yamaha drums are the best thing ever.

Talk about missing the point.

Your opinion on Ringo's playing was never in question here. Your willingness to latch onto the utterly ridiculous in order to support it was.

I respect the right others have to their opinions and ideas. I have no respect for the notion that those opinions and ideas can't be held up to scrutiny though.

Some opinions are ill-conceived, ignorant or just plain idiotic. I'd suggest the ability to understand the difference is about as open minded as it gets, wouldn't you?

Talk about missing the point.

Your opinion on Ringo's playing was never in question here. Your willingness to latch onto the utterly ridiculous in order to support it was.

Actually YOU didn't hold anything up to scrutiny, you just threw a foolish jab without contributing anything intelligent at all. Others offered contrary opinions to mine and that is fine. You didn't see me attack them.

In addition, you insulted an entire recognized religion, which is against forum rules. My guess is that you wouldn't have made the same criticisms towards Islam, Judaism or Christianity. The only thing "utterly ridiculous" "ignorant" and "idiotic" is your closed minded approach to how you conduct yourself on a forum.

I can see a few vacations coming in the near future. Back on topic or move along. Thank you.

Gavin Harrison,

I'll literally hear 4 bars of a song, and know it's him playing. ( This happened when my friend showed me the new pineapple thief album without telling me he was on it ).

The drum sound, snare, toms, tuning. The crispness and how tight it is. Nothing like it.

Agree with this.

Also, for me, players like Stewart Copeland, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Neil Peart - basically, the guys I copied when I started playing!

My hero would be David Garabaldi. NO ONE plays like him. I can do the intro to Squib Cakes, but for me it's a "hit and miss" type of thing that requires a LOT of concentration, and he just does that stuff effortlessly. He invented that stuff, counter-rhythyms on the hat, all that complex funk stuff, the guy is an absolute GENIUS!

My hero would be David Garabaldi. NO ONE plays like him. I can do the intro to Squib Cakes, but for me it's a "hit and miss" type of thing that requires a LOT of concentration, and he just does that stuff effortlessly. He invented that stuff, counter-rhythyms on the hat, all that complex funk stuff, the guy is an absolute GENIUS!

I think the drum world has yet to get its collective head around what DG was doing in the 1970s!

Others that come to mind as instantly recognizable are Gadd, Elvin, Tony, Purdie, Bruford.

Yep, Gadd is the perfect "technician". Didn't he play on "Josie" by Steely Dan?

Actually YOU didn't hold anything up to scrutiny, you just threw a foolish jab without contributing anything intelligent at all. Others offered contrary opinions to mine and that is fine. You didn't see me attack them.

In addition, you insulted an entire recognized religion, which is against forum rules. My guess is that you wouldn't have made the same criticisms towards Islam, Judaism or Christianity. The only thing "utterly ridiculous" "ignorant" and "idiotic" is your closed minded approach to how you conduct yourself on a forum.

Scientology not open to ridicule? Wow. That's news.

Yep, Gadd is the perfect "technician". Didn't he play on "Josie" by Steely Dan?

No, that was Jim Keltner. Gadd played on "Aja", the title track of the same album. He was another guy that turned not just the drumming world, but the whole music world, on its ear.

ringo-he-was-the-drummer_zps43b28eb3.jpg

All I can say.....

Carl Palmer, that's a name I have not heard mentioned in a while. What a great solo artist he is/was....I went to the first "Laserium" in Seattle, and they had a 20 minute drum solo of Carl Palmer while the lights were tripping (so was I, on mescaline!) and it was waaay cooool!

There are a lot of easy examples in jazz too: Joe Morello, Buddy Rich, Art Blakey. I can't really distinguish some of the older-era drummers as easily as true jazz nerds (said lovingly) can, but there are definitely people who can tell you right away if it's Elvin playing, or Philly Joe.

For rock, Copeland is a great call-out. What really made this apparent to me, besides all his great drumming, is when Sting released "Love is the Seventh Wave". I have a lot of respect for Omar Hakim ... but he just can't cop that feel like Stewart could.

And, ignoring the tiresome and never-ending arguments about the man, I can also quickly tell if a Beatles track is Ringo or not. If you've drummed along to Back in the USSR you've felt the time drag in the beginning.

Carl Palmer, that's a name I have not heard mentioned in a while. What a great solo artist he is/was....I went to the first "Laserium" in Seattle, and they had a 20 minute drum solo of Carl Palmer while the lights were tripping (so was I, on mescaline!) and it was waaay cooool!
But is he instantly recognizable, has a style or sound that is unique? I doubt it... Even Carmin Appice is more recognizale IMO with his "Karate-drumming"... Hiiia- tschaka tschaka!!!

Back