Dw exotic / Yamaha HexRack

AnxMc

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this fantastic site. Just after investing in some pretty decent gear (in my opinion) and I have a few question. I hope I can get some help.

The kit in question is a DW Exotic. Now I do have some pretty OK hardware as it is but I also want to invest in a drum rack. The Yamaha HXR3L rack comes with 4 X HXTC Tom arms. My question is this: will these tom arms accomodate the DW toms or will I have to get DW tom arms seperately?

The reason I need to know this is because the Kit I'm after purchasing is a shells only deal. There is no hardware whatsoever. Living in Ireland makes it tricky to get DW gear as there are very few dealers here.

Thanks for your time. ;)
Andrew

Well, Yamaha and DW tom holders aren't compatible, so if the ones that come with the rack are designed to fit Yamaha toms, they probably won't fit your DW.

Also, be aware that the Yamaha Hex Rack is discontinued, so you'll probably have increasing trouble finding parts and extras for it as time goes by.

Just realised that the Hexrack has 4 L-Rod arms. That sorts out hanging the toms. The only issue would be adding extra clamps. There are Hex clamps available from other manufacturers. I don't think there should be any problems.

Just realised that the Hexrack has 4 L-Rod arms. That sorts out hanging the toms. The only issue would be adding extra clamps. There are Hex clamps available from other manufacturers. I don't think there should be any problems.

If you're getting the HexRack new, in the box, as that link suggests, those are not DW-compatible L-Arms. They are hex L-Arms (part HXLR) designed to thread into the Yamaha tom mounts, and only those mounts. The DW tom mount is for a 12.7 millimeter cylindrical peg. In order to use the DW toms with their factory mounts with the HexRack, you will very likely need to buy at least 12.7mm compatible L-arms, if not something more substantial.

Please see the pictures below for more clarity on what I'm saying.

The first is a Yamaha HXLR L-Arm for hex-mount Yamahas.
c5fa0cd8-5f79-45a9-8fb2-9d3a010e55d0_358x280.jpg

The second is DW's 12.7 mm L-arm.
eb4ceb38-a33a-43f4-8ccb-9d2800afd0df_354x280.jpg

I know it looks like the same thing. Unfortunately, the Yamaha L-arm is about 10.5mm in diameter, so the DW arm **possibly** might fit over it, but might not snug down on it properly. I just put one of my 12.7mm cymbal booms up against one of my Yamaha mounts, so this isn't just saying.

That is seriously appreciated alparrot. Thanks a million. I've no real way to check this stuff out in front of me as there are literally no decent stores anywhere nearby. Thanks a million for the feedback. ;)

I've one more question:

If I bought the DW L-Rods seperately can I easily switch them for the Yamaha L-Rods (withing the same clamp)?

Thanks again!

All in all I guess I'd be better off going with a Pearl/Gibraltar rack. They seem to be more versatile from what I've read.

Here I go again with more nonsense.

I just got the answer to my question (in case anyone is reading this in the future it may be helpful). All one has to do is get different L-Rods. The Hex clamps will take even larger Peal/Mapex etc. Tom arms.

Thanks for the support. I'll shut up now. ;)

I have a hex rack, and they are great racks. However, as previously stated, they are no longer made. Its going to be tough to add anything beyond what you initially get. The hex rack clamps do not adjust at all, as far as the diameter of pipe they accept. They only accept a 7/8" pipe, which is the diameter of Yamaha tom arms and mini boom cymbal arms. If this is equal to 10.5mm, then you can find compatible arms. I found one very easily at Musicians Friend. Its for PDP, but I assume it would work for other DW:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/PDP-TA0105-Tom-Arm-?sku=443553

I bet Gibraltar also has L-arms with a 7/8" pipe that would work with DW. I'm sure I've seen them somewhere online.

My other comment would be on the price. Is it 565 euros? Is that equal to $745US? If so, you'd be paying twice as much as these sold for in the US. The 3 leg rack sold for $399 and the 2 leg rack sold for $299 over here. Have you compared this price to other racks?

The DW double tom stands are the direction I'd go unless you have tons of cymbals...

Good advice. That price would be a deal breaker for me (by far). I didn't spend anywhere near even the US price, and wouldn't have bought one for the US retail price. By the time I got mine, I knew they were out of production. The deal I got was for exactly that reason; Yamaha was unloading them to liquidate their inventory about a year ago. I believe I read on this site that it was a 'legal' reason. Maybe they infringed on another company's patent or something. I never knew the details.

Good advice. That price would be a deal breaker for me (by far). I didn't spend anywhere near even the US price, and wouldn't have bought one for the US retail price. By the time I got mine, I knew they were out of production. The deal I got was for exactly that reason; Yamaha was unloading them to liquidate their inventory about a year ago. I believe I read on this site that it was a 'legal' reason. Maybe they infringed on another company's patent or something. I never knew the details.

It was actually more that Yamaha and the company that was manufacturing them for Yamaha had a falling out, causing them to no longer be manufactured. I can't find the thread where this was expanded on, after 15 minutes of searching, so take my word for it.

@BGH: 7/8" is nowhere near 10.5mm, not to sharpshoot you. 7/8" is the diameter of both ends of a Pearl tom arm. 12.7 mm is the diameter of the part of a DW L-Arm that the tom mount slides on, and is also the diameter of most industry standard cymbal booms. 10.5 mm is the diameter of the mount part of Tama and PDP L-arms, and 9.5 mm is the usual diameter for most cowbell and percussion mount posts.

BGH: 7/8" is nowhere near 10.5mm, not to sharpshoot you. 7/8" is the diameter of both ends of a Pearl tom arm. 12.7 mm is the diameter of the part of a DW L-Arm that the tom mount slides on, and is also the diameter of most industry standard cymbal booms. 10.5 mm is the diameter of the mount part of Tama and PDP L-arms, and 9.5 mm is the usual diameter for most cowbell and percussion mount posts.

Right, I knew that 7/8" is the diameter of the Pearl arms and Yamaha arm base shaft (which is why I stated it), but now I see which part of the L arm is 10.5mm. The dimension he needs to be concerned about (for the rack) is the diameter of the base shaft of an L arm. If that part is 7/8", he can use it with a hex rack. Then the 10.5mm dimension concerns the compatibility of the L-arm with the mount on the tom, so there are two issues: the fit of the base an L-arm with the clamps on the hex rack - 7/8" and the fit with the tom mount - 12.7mm 'L.' So the part on MF that I linked to may or may not work for him.

All this 10.5 vs. 12.7 .... that's the size of the L arm itself. The important thing is the Yamaha rack clamp will accept a 7/8" tube ... now ... whether it's a cymbal arm or a tom arm, that's the important size. I have 2 Yamaha hex racks.​
Since your DW drums come shells only, I'd go with RIMS suspension, throw a Yamaha tom mount on the RIMS plate, and you're good to go ... plug the Yamaha tom arm (4 come with the hex rack you showed).​
The reason I bought 2 racks, is to up my rack clamp count (to 7).​
My Ludwig/Yamaha combo....​

Attachments

• ludwig1.jpg
    ludwig1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,545
  • ludwig2.jpg
    ludwig2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,498
You have all been extremely helpful. Thanks so much!

Here's an L-Arm I have found from the same seller:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/dw_sa_ta_12.htm

It's a 1/2" Rack fitting so I think that would fit into the rack mount. Basically Tom to DW L-Arm to hex clamp and onto the rack pipe.

I sure hope I don't sound like a total idiot!

Thanks again. ;)

@BGH - Yeah I've compared it to a lot of other racks. Things are majorly over-priced here, I'm afraid. I was in the States about three years ago and I swear every music store I entered I almost suffered from a nervous breakdown. Unfortunately it's impossible to import from USA also as customs will likely hold the item and charge a pretty high % of the insrument's European Value.

The only other racks I can find are pearl fr about €380. They come with no clamps and have only 2 legs, Anything after that would be Millenium gear. It's pretty sturdy German made gear but you're not going to be guaranteed a great life time. I guess the way it works where I'm from is you either cheap out and get something shifty or you go the full whack and get something that will last.

The only thing that is making life easy is that I found the kit for €2000. It's a DW Exotic mapa burl/candy Black fade. It's used but in absolutely immaculate condition. The primary drum Wholesaler in Ireland was having a sale and managed to get in there before anyone. Also picked up a Taye Wood - Hoop snare for 300 marked down from 750. Please remeber that a DW Exotic is listed as €6000-€7000 in Europe. I landed a monster deal.

You have all been extremely helpful. Thanks so much!

Here's an L-Arm I have found from the same seller:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/dw_sa_ta_12.htm

It's a 1/2" Rack fitting so I think that would fit into the rack mount. Basically Tom to DW L-Arm to hex clamp and onto the rack pipe.

I sure hope I don't sound like a total idiot!

Thanks again. ;)

Not sure about that one. It says '1/2" Tom Arm.' If the base of it is 1/2" it won't work with the hex rack. If the L is 1/2" you still need to get the dimension of the base shaft. That part needs to be 7/8", as we've stated here. Anything much smaller won't work.

Here's the one that Gibraltar makes, which is exactly what you need if you can find it over there:

Clamp-style L-rod tom arm for easy and solid placement. Choose 10.5mm or 12.7mm L-Rod. 7/8" down tube.

Gibraltar Clamp-Style L-Rod Tom Arm Features:

Choose 10.5mm or 12.7mm
7/8" down tube

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-ClampStyle-LRod-Tom-Arm?sku=490628

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,441
Ok I get what you're saying. Well the L-Rod is 12.7mm whereas the base is 1/2". the yamaha hex clamp requires a 7/8" Tube. Would this mean it will take 7/8" only or would it take 7/8" and smaller. Obviously it wouldn't take larger. Just wondering if the clamp could br tightneded to hold a base of 4/8".

Thanks again.

It only takes 7/8", not smaller. 1/2" is way too small.

The Gibraltar piece in my previous post is exactly what you need. Aren't there any US retailers that will ship over there?

If you want to Paypal me a bunch of money, I'll ship it to you :) !!

It only takes 7/8", not smaller. 1/2" is way too small.
Indeed. 7/8" is almost 1" pipe ... just shy of ... by 1/8th of an inch.​
12.7mm is 1/2" is 4/8" (to reference that 7/8 is almost twice the size). Those would all be L-arm sizes (10.5mm and 12.7mm are the 2 standard sizes).​

Back