I have a problem.

joshisaces

Gold Member
I'm always buying stuff and this week alone I've spent $331 and I asked my parents about chipping in cause I'm buying almost EVERYTHING on my own and they only pay for the stuff that costs like $5 such as moongell and think they're helping me out drastically.

Out of the $330 they payed for not even $30

I'm just ranting is all. :(

I'm always buying stuff and this week alone I've spent $331 and I asked my parents about chipping in cause I'm buying almost EVERYTHING on my own and they only pay for the stuff that costs like $5 such as moongell and think they're helping me out drastically.

Get used to it, you'll be doing all of that when you are on your own. I had to reel in my spending habits and get "needs" and not wants. Now if I can just get that [colorful metaphor] cubase 4 le to work, I'll be happy. That with the presonus fire studio set me back $500.

That doesn't sound like a problem. Well except for maybe spending too much money on drums? I wish I was able to spend 300 a week on my hobbies.

Why should they pay for your drumming? I think the biggest problem is the first sentence there. It's quite simple - stop buying things.

I assume that if you have spent over 3 bills you have a job, right? If not, get one. If you have a job & spend your own money, then don't buy more than you can afford, pretty simple. It's really not your parents job to help you buy everything that you want, I'm sure they have enough bills of their own to take care of. I bought every piece of drum gear I've ever owned from the time I was 14 years old starting with paper route & lawn mowing money until I was old enough to get a better job. I was just thankful that my folks allowed me to even do that. I'm done preaching now. Pay your own way, you'll appreciate what you have even more, trust me.

I assume that if you have spent over 3 bills you have a job, right? If not, get one. If you have a job & spend your own money, then don't buy more than you can afford, pretty simple. It's really not your parents job to help you buy everything that you want, I'm sure they have enough bills of their own to take care of. I bought every piece of drum gear I've ever owned from the time I was 14 years old starting with paper route & lawn mowing money until I was old enough to get a better job. I was just thankful that my folks allowed me to even do that. I'm done preaching now. Pay your own way, you'll appreciate what you have even more, trust me.

I TOTALLY forgot about lawn mowing. I'll do that this summer.

Oh, and shovel driveways in the winter. It's about a million times easier than mowing lawns, and you can get paid around the same.

But I buy all my drum stuff myself...if your parents paid for stuff, you wouldn't appreciate it as much.

When I turned 16, I was cut off from the parents buying drum gear (except for B-day and Christmas gifts). Anything I wanted, came from hours of work. So I got a job after school and earned money for drum gear.

At least now you have the internet, so you can make better choices as to what to buy, and save money in a lot of areas. Back then, I was dependent on dealers and catalogs. And the choices for stuff were drastically limited compared to now.

The other good thing is, now you get better quality stuff for your money.

Oh, and shovel driveways in the winter. It's about a million times easier than mowing lawns, and you can get paid around the same.

But I buy all my drum stuff myself...if your parents paid for stuff, you wouldn't appreciate it as much.

I live in Florida. Maybe cleaning pools would be an option. ;P

When I turned 16, I was cut off from the parents buying drum gear (except for B-day and Christmas gifts). Anything I wanted, came from hours of work. So I got a job after school and earned money for drum gear.

At least now you have the internet, so you can make better choices as to what to buy, and save money in a lot of areas. Back then, I was dependent on dealers and catalogs. And the choices for stuff were drastically limited compared to now.

The other good thing is, now you get better quality stuff for your money.

Good point, it must have been terrible not knowing what to get back then! Plus, when you're living with your parents, all the money that you have is yours! No rent, utilities, or child care! Every cent you earn is yours to spend.

My parents bought me the essentials- 1. a 5 piece Ludwig drumset. 2. a bit of the hardware, all by Tama (oh yea) 3. A pair of sticks that i broke within the first week. and 4. a cymbal and a pair of hihats. There was no throne, i used a lawnchair.

but now i have alot more, including a throne. I work, save, and spend. I dont expect to have my set the exact way i want it anytime soon. I like to think of it as, once i am really good with this amount of stuff, i might be able to get some more. like im ready to get that extra cymbal, ya know?

Good point, it must have been terrible not knowing what to get back then! Plus, when you're living with your parents, all the money that you have is yours! No rent, utilities, or child care! Every cent you earn is yours to spend.

You have the easiest job on the planet! You're a youtube partner that get's payed $2.50 for every 1k views. You're probably making more than minimum wage...

My local dealer (the one that I could go to on the way home) Sold student stuff, slingerland and ludwig. They discounted 40% off catalog.

Ok fine but:

If I could have gone down the road a ways to a bigger town, they sold Tama. I could get awesome tama titan for the same price as the crappy student level gear I could get in town.
Slingerland student pedal with leather strap in 1979= $49.95. Tama pedal= $49.95.

Now, it's all about one click mail order, and GC. Almost paradise by compare.

My local dealer (the one that I could go to on the way home) Sold student stuff, slingerland and ludwig. They discounted 40% off catalog.

Ok fine but:

If I could have gone down the road a ways to a bigger town, they sold Tama. I could get awesome tama titan for the same price as the crappy student level gear I could get in town.
Slingerland student pedal with leather strap in 1979= $49.95. Tama pedal= $49.95.

Now, it's all about one click mail order, and GC. Almost paradise by compare.

woah! That's crazy

woah! That's crazy

Back then, not only did you pay for the name, you either got Asian firewood kits, or full on maple or birch.

If I had access to Tama, I'd have gotten an imperialstar kit, because it was one of the very few kit's I could afford (eventually) that would sound decent for it's time and hold together.

My parents were very helpful, they told me I could play the drums in their nice quiet house. They also enrolled me in school band and paid for a few private lessons. I'm actually glad that they made me work for it, it got me hungrier to do it & have greater appreciation for what I could afford to buy. Probably the best thing they ever did for me.

my parents never really bought me gear except for on holidays. i mean yea if we were at gc theyd get me a pair of sticks, but the bigger stuff, snares, cymbals, even heads that was all me.

My parents were very helpful, they told me I could play the drums in their nice quiet house. They also enrolled me in school band and paid for a few private lessons. I'm actually glad that they made me work for it, it got me hungrier to do it & have greater appreciation for what I could afford to buy. Probably the best thing they ever did for me.

Well, another thing is that they don't understand that stuff doesn't last forever. It took me a week to talk my mom in to letting me buy new snare batter and res heads with my own money, even. I've had the batter for a good year and the reso head was stock.

Also, sticks are something they can't comprehend. Oh well

Back