3 up 2 down setup

Pimento

Im looking for a drum company that can produce a 3 up 2 down setup for me. For some reason i cant seem to find one in the sizes i want.

Im looking for 10,12,14,16,18" toms with a 22" bass drum.

Am i going to have to go custom for this, or is there a company that is close to what i want. I was also looking for something similar to DWs lemon burst with black hardware (if im gonna pony up the cash for a pro kit, i want it to look kinda how i want haha).

I need some ideas, my gretsch catalina ash just isnt really cutting it for the music i play. Plus i would like the option of gigging my catalina kit when other drummers are going to be playing on it. This wont be a purchase i am taking lightly. Realistically it may be another year depending on the cash i need to save up, but its something ive been trying to research on my own and have come up short.

Part of my problem is that no stores in town stock pro kits,i ts all entry level stuff, so if you want it brought in then you need to pay for it first. I have been looking at DW, Sonor and Gretsch (i love the sound of gretsch, its just a bit bright for metal, though i have played on one of their maple kits at a studio once and i loved it)

I know i dont make much sense haha but if someone sorts through this and can help me out id appreciate it :)

Any of the big manufacturers can do it for you: DW, Ludwig, Gretsch, Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, Mapex, etc. Just anticipate you're going to pay for it!

Shop Music Go Round, Guitar Center (used), etc - you're more likely to find a good deal on a late-70s - to - late-80s kit in the configuration you're wanting...companies just don't make big drums anymore unless you order it ($$$). If you go into the 70s, you're going to have a hard time finding 10" and 12" toms.

Depends what you mean by 'custom.' Just because you don't see it in a store, doesn't mean you can't place an order for those sizes-you absolutely can. An authorized dealer for Pearl, Yamaha, Ludwig, etc can order those sizes for you. They wouldn't be custom drums, per se.

Now if you want some special finish and hardware, that's another story. Then you most probably would need to go custom. You could look at custom drum makers. You could also consider Pearl's Masterworks line, which gives you the ability to specify shell construction, size, finish and hardware (within certain limits). The Masterworks isn't a full custom line.

You could get the sizes you want,and probably the depths with any of the majors top lines,but you could get the Diameters within the intermediate lines of most of the major companies too,and save some money to boot.The intermediate kits by ludwig ,and Tama are terrific build and sound wise,of course finishes are nice ,but limited and custom colored lugs are probably cost prohibitive.I believe crush drums are offering powder coated lugs as an option within their middle lines.A custom finish on a Keller build with powder coated lugs could probably be done somewhere between the cost of and intermediate and upper level kit if you research it long enough

DW has the finish/hardware and drum sound i want (as far as their samples go) i just dont want to pay $3000 for $1500 worth of drums.

But if its worth it to save the hassle, DW might be the way to go.

DW eh... Here's the deal... People who Don't like DW usually don't own a set. Is DW the best? I don't think that can be answered. I own a set of DW's and I wouldnt trade them for anything, but more DW's.

Pearl, Tama, Gretch, Yamaha... they all make comparable equipment. Heads, tuning, and YOU the drummer make them sound good, IMO. Just can't go wrong with any of their top tier sets.

Buy a used top model by any of the company's listed above and your totally fine! If money is no object... order your favorite One.

Happy Drumming

Just wondering - have you actually played this configuration? 10/12/14 rack toms take up a lot of space & many players wouldn't feel so comfortable with it. Also, with a 22" BD you really need to watch how high the toms are going to be, using a "normal" diameter / depth ratio.

It wouldn't suit me, but that's not important! It's whether you like it or not... I just hope you have tried it properly first.

No Rich, honestly the amount of drums i can try around my area are fairly limited, i just wanted toms with a deeper sound to them.

Right now im playing 8,10,12 up and 16 down which i like quite well, maybe ill go for this setup plus a 14 or 18" floor tom in a deeper sounding wood, since im aware that ash is quite bright.

Back