Chad vs Will

jdsg

Anyone watch the Chad Smith/Will Ferrell drum off on Jimmy Fallon? Kind of funny. At least it showcased some drumming.

Ehh.

When they started off, and Will's part was so obviously and completely dropped in... I dropped out. Immediately. It became a comedy act, it felt like drumming was being lampooned as "so easy anyone can do it".

When I was a kid I saw Louie Bellson and Ed Shaughnessy duking it out for real on the Tonight Show. That inspired me to play the drums for the next twenty-something years. I don't see this mess inspiring anyone to play drums.

I don't see this mess inspiring anyone to play drums.
Who said/claimed this would have to be inspiring for anyone to play drums to the slightest degree? It was about fun, and IMO it delivered. The fact that Will's parts were dropped in didn't ruin it for me. I think your requirements are a bit over the top.

Who said/claimed this would have to be inspiring for anyone to play drums to the slightest degree? It was about fun, and IMO it delivered. The fact that Will's parts were dropped in didn't ruin it for me. I think your requirements are a bit over the top.

As entertainment, sure, I get it, and I've been watching the run-up to this with a smile. But drum-wise, I think it dumbed down drumming and drummers. Other drumming showcases as of late (Dave Letterman's Drum Solo Weeks, for example) showcased the instrument and its practicioners in a bit more productive light.

Of course, I'm on my fourth or fifth sleepless night in a row due to a sinus infection, so I might just be cranky.

Okay, I get your view, too.
The facebook reactions from my drum feeds were overwhelmingly positive. Everybody's liking that drum-off - that is, ALMOST everybody ;-)
It was nice to see that even with those perfectly prepared shows, something can go wrong. Not only the stick tricks but also repositioning a clamped microphone or stuff like that.

When he pulled out that cowbell, I couldn't help cracking up. That old SNL skit was classic.

I couldnt stop laughing during the interview!! Just seeing them trying to keep a straight face through it was hilarious!! Chad Smiths drumming was a definite surprise and I have new found respect for what he does! And come on now....It just needed a more cowbell..... :)

Great Job, I loved it!

D

N&C

you guys can't be taking this seriously can you ?

c'mon !

Will Ferrrell is a comedian .... this was a bit from it's inception

this is no different than the Jerry Lewis Buddy Rich drum battles form way back in the day

it's shtick .... it's comedy

comparing this to a Bellson / Shaughnessy battle is quite ridiculous

hmm ...look familiar ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=141o_jwG7cA

an old idea is new again

Hilarious. I loved the cowbell tie-in and the RHCP appearance. I probably should have, but I didn't see either of those coming. And the pre-battle interview was the funniest part of all.

you guys can't be taking this seriously can you ?

c'mon !

Al is just tired and he is coming across as a little cranky. No worries, it happens to all of us. I have been avoiding a certain thread for just such a reason, nothing of value to contribute and I'd just be mean...

I thought it was great. Got a big cackle out of me when he broke out the cowbell. That singer really didn't sound very good doing Blue Oyster Cult though. I do love that the drummer becomes part of the show, of course it's schtick but they're still talking to the drummer and not that fellah' that butchered the vocal part.

Its all good fun, in good spirit, and raising money for charity!

Al, hope you feel better, sinus infections are no fun.

I think it would have been more amusing to see him genuinely try to play the drums. This felt like a cop-out. There's nothing funny about Will Ferrell miming along to something while the camera shows only his face.

I am disappointed and would like my money back. All of it.

Ehh.

When they started off, and Will's part was so obviously and completely dropped in... I dropped out. Immediately. It became a comedy act, it felt like drumming was being lampooned as "so easy anyone can do it".

When I was a kid I saw Louie Bellson and Ed Shaughnessy duking it out for real on the Tonight Show. That inspired me to play the drums for the next twenty-something years. I don't see this mess inspiring anyone to play drums.

Let me explain the joke Will was doing: by dropping in a part that anyone could recognize as fake, and even further screwing up his mimes, the joke becomes about the expectation that Will would have actually prepared himself and learned some basic drumming. The joke was partially that Will is so lazy he didn't even learn how to play for his drum off, yet his character was so oblivious and attuned to his shortcut that he keeps this tough guy persona because in his mind, there's no way he can lose. Now it's not funny anymore, but hopefully that clears some stuff up.

Back