One man's trash is another's treasure... post your secondhand or cheapskate gems

alparrott

Diamond Member
As I have been playing for going on 30 years now, I have very carefully upgraded hardware as needed; I have scrimped and saved for gorgeous, glittery, shimmery cymbals; I plunk down hundreds every year for sticks and heads. But for the life of me I can't bear to replace this cheap, 50-dollar secondhand snare.

It's a cheapo Japanese knockoff of a Supra. It has a concave bead, like a Yamaha snare, but it almost certainly is not a Yamaha. It came with really fragile pot-metal Imperial lug knockoffs, about half of which have broken and have been replaced with generic Taiwanese lugs. I had to do a whole new throwoff and butt because the originals were crap. It's slightly out of round and tuning it is an adventure in patience. But it's more sensitive than my wife talking about my ex, and it cracks like a twenty-one-gun salute. It does everything -- records great, plays live like a champ. I can't quit it! I can't replace it!

I'm posting mine. What's that absolute basement bargain piece of gear you have that is worth more to you than all the DW Collectors limited editions polished with unicorn tears?

Attachments

• snare1.jpg
    snare1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Remo 13" Piccolo for the same price. Not trash, but cheap, and just as good as any other snare out there, I have 6 under my possession right now. I use it more than any other snare, and everyone I play with loves it too! I have it tuned like Steve Jordan has his.

Last edited:
Back