DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Drum wood sources

Hi guys, I have been having some thoughts recently due to my intention to buy a new mid-range kit for touring with my band. One of the kits that I have been thinking about is the Gretsch Catalina Club. The wood is Philippine mahogany, but I have not been able to find out how the wood is sourced, and what the environmental impact is of using such woods for drums. There is a huge problem with deforestation in the Philippines. I am wondering if anybody else takes these things into consideration when choosing a new drumkit? I have not been able to find anything on this topic.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum wood sources

I completely agree with your concern. I think that drum makers should be open about their wood sources, & certainly indicate if they're sourcing from sustainable forrests. If the manufacturer doesn't publish such information, & it's of concern to you, try contacting them & asking the question.

My new kit is being made from reclaimed wood. Not only is this generally a good thing, it also yeilds huge sonic benefits IMO. The mahogany is taken from old church pews, & is in the region of 2-300 years old. I realise this isn't a reasonable way forward for mass market volume makers.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I completely agree with your concern. I think that drum makers should be open about their wood sources, & certainly indicate if they're sourcing from sustainable forrests. If the manufacturer doesn't publish such information, & it's of concern to you, try contacting them & asking the question.
Yes, this seems like the only way of finding out. In terms of the actual kit, am only concerned with having a decent sounding kit that stands up to the road, so there are plenty of options other than the Gretsch. It is not clear how the wood is sourced with most of these kits though, and at these prices I would be surprised if the wood was sourced responsibly. Perhaps I will end up spending some extra cash on a renown maple instead. And the Sonor Force 3007 looks pretty cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
My new kit is being made from reclaimed wood. Not only is this generally a good thing, it also yeilds huge sonic benefits IMO. The mahogany is taken from old church pews, & is in the region of 2-300 years old. I realise this isn't a reasonable way forward for mass market volume makers.
Wow, that sounds like a fantastic idea. Looking forward to hearing your up coming recording of the set.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

This is a big issue with me. My kit was made from trees harvested under license from the Australian government. The loggers sold the wood directly to the drum maker, so there is no chain of middlemen to cloud accountability.

I do wish drum makers would talk about this. The only time they do is when they want to brag about it, so that must mean they're using unsustainable methods when they don't mention it.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
This is a big issue with me. My kit was made from trees harvested under license from the Australian government. The loggers sold the wood directly to the drum maker, so there is no chain of middlemen to cloud accountability.

I do wish drum makers would talk about this. The only time they do is when they want to brag about it, so that must mean they're using unsustainable methods when they don't mention it.
Agreed. It's a selling feature, so if they're not mentioning it, they're either stupid, or not bothered about some customers concerns.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Yeah this is my take on it too. It's a shame really. I admire the attempts to bring prices down and make good quality instruments accessible to more people, but there is an environmental cost. I think I will be doing a lot more research before I choose a kit.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinozalove View Post
Yeah this is my take on it too. It's a shame really. I admire the attempts to bring prices down and make good quality instruments accessible to more people, but there is an environmental cost. I think I will be doing a lot more research before I choose a kit.
In general, the more a kit is made in sourced in a First World nation, the more likely the government regulated the harvest and had laws in place to protect workers and the environment during manufacture. The more the kit was made in Asia or the Third World, the more mud and blood it will have on it.