DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Has anyone bought pro endorsed products or want their set-up?

Is there a cymbal or sticks you've bought because a big name used them? Be honest. Me- The 30th anniversary Neil Peart snare and Neil Peart and Carter Beauford sticks although I would like Neils drum set without the electronics. It could easily be transformed to a Beauford arranged kit if need be.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Has anyone bought pro endorsed products or want their set-up?

The only thing i've bought with an artists name attached to it was a pair of Chad Smith Funkblaster Drumsticks. I didn't like them all that much and never bought anymore of them.

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Hellwyck

Josh Freese drumsticks... They were superb
Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

I bought Gadd's sticks.brushes solely because they are Gadd's. Gladly, I ended up liking them a lot.

Next time I change my snare heads, I'll try Gadd's head combo: PS3 batter, Diplomat snare.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I've purchased an occasional signature product because I liked the product, but never simply because it was connected with a player. And as much as I love Ringo and Ludwig, I've never owned an oyster black finish drum. Not really a conscious decision to not have one... I've just never taken that step.

Bermuda
Old 04-19-2011, 06:05 PM

I have the 7" and 11" Sabian Max Splashes (Mike Portnoy signature) I'd heard him using them but at that point didn't realise they were his signature series and never got round to looking up his specs. It wasn't 'till I heard the same sound on Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" that I looked them up and found out what they were...to be honest I didn't even realise they were splashes at the time (not quite sure what I thought they were) but there we go! These days I'm really a fan of his playing so it's no longer a name attachment.

Sonically they're the splashes that appeal to me the most, very punchy and quite a distinct tone from other splashes I've heard over the years.

Kev

Last edited by K.Howden; 04-19-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

i own two endorsed items. one is a pair of k custom session hats endorsed by steve gadd. they are awesome! i once had a studio engineer tell me they were the best sounding hats he'd ever heard. i also own a "signature" sabian saturation crash endorsed by virgil donati. it's pretty awesome too. i bought both of these things not because i was infatuated with either drummer but because i thought they sounded great.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

I've never owned signature products, but I've definitely been influenced by pro players when it comes to buying gear. I've never bought anything "blind" just because some player uses that particular piece of gear, but I've definitely checked something out because some drummer plays that particular piece and I liked the way it sounded.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Never intentionally, however I got a set of Travis Barker stick/mallet combo from a discount bin and I liked them so much I went back and picked up the other couple that were in the bin..
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Gold Member

I have a Sand Ride on the way. I'll maybe get the hi-hat as well.
I don't count 'em as signature gear.
Otherwise, I never use any kind of "signature" gear.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I've purchased an occasional signature product because I liked the product, but never simply because it was connected with a player. And as much as I love Ringo and Ludwig, I've never owned an oyster black finish drum. Not really a conscious decision to not have one... I've just never taken that step.

Bermuda
I would love an black oyster pearl kit, it's just a classy look.

Bermuda, why don't you have a signature drumstick? That's a pair of sticks I'd buy just for the name. You could call them "Bermuda Blasters" or "Schwartz Rockers". Sell them with "Put some Bermuda in your groove!"

Other than that I can't say I've been driven to buy a product because an artist uses it. This forum if probably full of guys that have bought Ludwig kits and Paistes because Bonham played them. C'mon! Confession time guys.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 PM
sticks4drums

Well I use Sabian because Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy use them, plus they are made in Canada. I bought many Paragon cymbals because I like the way Neil's sound, Yes I tried them first, and Neil helped develop them.

I am in the process of buying Danny Carey's signature Sonor 14 x 8 Bronze snare, because it looks really bad ass, I love the sound of his, Bronze is my favorite material for snares, and I really dig his playing.

I guess I am a little pathetic. I figure I am helping out the economy. :)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I would love an black oyster pearl kit, it's just a classy look.

Bermuda, why don't you have a signature drumstick? That's a pair of sticks I'd buy just for the name. You could call them "Bermuda Blasters" or "Schwartz Rockers". Sell them with "Put some Bermuda in your groove!"

Other than that I can't say I've been driven to buy a product because an artist uses it. This forum if probably full of guys that have bought Ludwig kits and Paistes because Bonham played them. C'mon! Confession time guys.
I can say right now that I will never ever buy a Ludwig black oyster pearl kit.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, almost forgot. I'm also in the process of outfitting my whole kit with dice "cymbol toppers" because Jay endorses them. They really open up my sound and bring in the dive bar ladies.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 AM

I own a Sabian Paragon ride. I did not buy it because Neil Peart endorses it or helped develop it, I liked the sound better than any other I could find. But I do think it is a cool thing that Neil is behind this line.
Motion Pro Throne
Roland TD30KV
Pearl Demon Chain
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

I've been lusting after Dave Weckl's 5x14 signature snare. I absolutely love the way that thing sounds on every recording I've ever heard it on. But I can't justify the hefty price tag.

I had an Evolution Ride once. I didn't know Dave Weckl's signature was under the bell until years later and I didn't know that it was his signature line when I bought it.

Other than that, nope, can't say I've ever gone for something because so-and-so had one.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:30 AM

Well, I first heard tommy igoe use a 20in. k custom dry light ride for jazz, and really liked the sound of it so I got one.

I'm considering getting a jojo mayer fierce crash by sabian, because I also recently heard one and really like the sound. He wasn't playing it though.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

I have Evolution, Legacy, and Paragon cymbals, but not because of the names on them. I REALLY like the sounds. I also play Benny Greb sticks when I need hickory and Sucherman sticks when I need maple.

I'd own Jo Jo Mayer and Virgil Donati cymbals in a heartbeat, same goes for the Weckl, Torres, Rose, Blackwell, Mangini, and Jordan snares. I just like the sounds.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:55 AM

I just ordered the 24" ZHT ride that Dave Grohl had Zildjian make for him. They don't really position it as a signature cymbal or anything, but I didn't get it because of Dave Grohl exactly, anyway. Being able to listen to something like a cymbal when an artist plays it within the context of their band isn't a bad way to shop.

When I ordered that ride I also picked up the 20" EFX cymbal last week in part to Taylor Hawkins using it for all these TV appearances for the Foo's new album, and me wanting some 20" crashes anyway.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftoverPenguin View Post
Being able to listen to something like a cymbal when an artist plays it within the context of their band isn't a bad way to shop.
That's an excellent point.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a K Constantinople Bounce Ride a while back. I don't think of it as a signature product, but it was developed and endorsed by Kenny Washington.

I would have bought it regardless of whose name was attached to it.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 AM
Silver Member

I play a Pearl Morgan Rose signature snare because I like the sound. Not at all a fan of the man's playing however. To each his own...
Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

I got the Stewart Copeland snare from Tama. But even though I'm a fan, I got into it more because it reminded me so much of a modern-day Rogers Dynasonic. It's basically the same construction without the crazy snare strainer mechanism. I've been lamenting the old Rogers stuff and kicking myself for letting the only Dynasonic I ever owned get bought by somebody else. When I tried the Copeland it was like I went home to the Rogers sound.

The fact that I can crank it up like Copeland himself is just an added bonus!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:16 AM

It's the other way around for me... A few years ago I shopped around on eBay in search of a snare (the previous years I had only been playing my Yamaha DTXplorer and I wanted to brush up on my brushing technique). I ended up buying a Yamaha Manu Katche signature snare and I love it! But more importantly, through the snare I discovered Manu Katche's drumming (particularly his ECM-recordings) and he has become my favourite drummer..

Dutch
Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 AM

I used to want a Zildjian Avedis China High just because Carter Beauford used. And now I want the Chad Smith Holy China just because I got to see Chad running around in a preist outfit smashing the thing
Old 04-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
I have a Sand Ride on the way. I'll maybe get the hi-hat as well.
I don't count 'em as signature gear.
Otherwise, I never use any kind of "signature" gear.
you will love the sand ride.....I do

I have Byzance all around aside from a Meinl medium 18" crash and the Gen X trash hat stack
Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 AM
Silver Member

a bunch of years ago I bought a Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum because I thought thats what Bonham played.......turns out he never even played a Black Beauty he played a Supraphonic 402....but there was no internet or anything in those days and I thought is was a Black Beauty.....

long story short....

I havent played another snare but my Black Beauty in over 20 years .....and I have several

nothing sounds better to me
Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 AM
audiotech

I've never bought any piece of equipment because it was endorsed or used by any one individual. I buy equipment because I love the way it sounds or plays (as in hardware choices). I actually cringe when I read about someone wanting a set of drums or cymbals because their favorite drummer plays the same.

Dennis
Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
I bought Gadd's sticks.brushes solely because they are Gadd's. Gladly, I ended up liking them a lot.

Next time I change my snare heads, I'll try Gadd's head combo: PS3 batter, Diplomat snare.
Same here, but I didn't like the sticks. The brushes add another color to the brush arsenal. Trying his snare head setup at next change (soon) because I like that sound.

I've never bought anything just because someone played it though, except the Gadd sticks, because I'm from Rochester so it's like you're issued them out here. ;) I play Vic's Buddy Rich stick because it has this funky kinda weight-forward balance to it that I like. I haven't been able to channel Buddy with them though.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I've never bought any piece of equipment because it was endorsed or used by any one individual. I buy equipment because I love the way it sounds or plays (as in hardware choices). I actually cringe when I read about someone wanting a set of drums or cymbals because their favorite drummer plays the same.

Dennis
Do you still cringe if the person actually likes the way the cymbals sound. :)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

i think most drummers are influenced by what their favorite drummers play during those early "budding" years. when i was starting out who didn't want to use what Buddy, Ringo, Mitchell or Bonham used?

today kids want to play what Jordison, Barker, etc., use. and there's still guys 40+ years old who feel the need to play what Peart plays because of the idol worship.

now, i couldn't care less what anyone else uses or endorses as it doesn't influence me in the least.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 04-20-2011, 08:55 PM

I bought the Benny Greb sand ride too! But I bought it because IT'S AMAZING! I have no doubt that being a huge fan of Benny's drumming had something to do with its appeal, but it really was mostly because of the sound of that thing.

I usually hate using signature products, because I don't want people to think I'm a mindless fanboy! (case-in-point... I play Pro Mark Oak 747's... also known as the Neil Peart signature model. I hate it! Neil is great, but I picked out these sticks because I loved them. It was before they started slapping his name on the model)

For years, I had been looking for a ride that was less pingy... with more of a wash, that is drier and trashier than rides that are typically used for rock drumming but still had enough cut/brightness to be used for that kind of music.

Not that there probably aren't plenty of other products that came before the sand ride that might fit the bill, but when I saw Benny's promo video on YouTube (which was extremely well produced, btw. Audio AND video), I called up my local shop and asked if they had it in stock. They did, and I bought it the same day. I just had to have it.

Drum/cymbal manufacturers should really take notice of what Benny has been doing with Meinl and Sonor. He sells this stuff so well. High quality video, great audio, and REALLY good demonstrative drumming to show off the products.

And by the way, I've been playing the sand ride for 3 or 4 months now, and I am SO happy with it. It sounds great in person, but records even better.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

It's funny, the gear aspect of it never occurred to me. When I first heard Ian Paice's intro to Fireball, the first question I had was..."how can I duplicate his playing".

I've never even considered what equipment he was using, it didn't matter.
To me it's comparable to reading a great book and then trying to find out what kind of paper it was written on. It just doesn't matter.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Do you still cringe if the person actually likes the way the cymbals sound. :)
No, only if a person bought the product primarily because it was an endorsed product or his, or her, favorite drummer uses it, so they believe it has to be good for them. Buying anything uneducated is not a very smart thing to do.

Dennis
Old 04-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahector View Post
And by the way, I've been playing the sand ride for 3 or 4 months now, and I am SO happy with it. It sounds great in person, but records even better.
Oh, great to hear! Today's the day when I'll finally get it - with the new drumset, Gretsch Renown Jazz. :)
Old 04-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

I've bought a few signature sticks, not because of the name necessarily, but because I was looking for a specific size or feel, and that stick felt good when I tried it at the store. A friend of mine got me a 6-pack of Neil Peart signature sticks for my birthday once. And I bought a set of HHX Evolutions for the church drumset once, not because of Dave Weckl, but because I was getting a killer deal on some great sounding cymbals. So ... I've bought signature gear, but never because it was signature gear, if that makes sense.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneida1 View Post
Is there a cymbal or sticks you've bought because a big name used them? Be honest. Me- The 30th anniversary Neil Peart snare and Neil Peart and Carter Beauford sticks although I would like Neils drum set without the electronics. It could easily be transformed to a Beauford arranged kit if need be.
When I was young I bought a pair of Pro Mark Bill Bruford sticks. They did not suit me.

Never again.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Chris Adler drumsticks - I like 'em
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

I used Taylor Hawkins signature sticks and still do. They sound great and feel great! :D
Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

When I got more into drumming again I got a bunch of sticks, but ended up with the Colaiuta sticks. See no reason to change. They're great. I do have a few others though, just becaus they are better for a few things. Mainly a pair of Tom Gauger sticks.