Todd Sucherman here!

Thanks for your reply Todd.

I think that's why I like the book so much, it is indeed a catalyst for my creativity and has given me plenty to think about. I'm finding that I'm playing stuff that somehow had never occurred to me before. Its exciting to feel all fired up again about drumming.

One last thing, although I'm sure you have already been asked this, is there any likelihood of any clinics in the UK?

Hello Todd, first time exposure to your playing after purchasing your DVD. I really like your solid playing and the your lucid instruction style. I was wondering this: Do you find that wearing in-ear monitors actually protect your hearing from the sound pressure levels of drums and cymbals? It seems that they would if one was able to adjust the level coming in. It seems that you could be playing ff while the ears are hearing mf, no?

Thanks for your thoughts. Happy drumming!

Hi Todd,

Got the new DVD man, all I can say is AMAZING! Your playing has been really inspiring since I bought the first DVD. I even started taking lessons again because I wanted to take my playing to the next level. I guess you know my drum teacher! His name is Eddie Valley. We have been working with parididles A LOT lately and the plethora of stuff you have on the DVD's has been a wonderful aid to help corrolate some cool stuff. I started doing this thing with two single paradiddles and two inverted paradiddles. Anyways I am ranting, I definitely plan on buying the M and M book. Thanks for all the inspiration man take it easy!

last man---

That's great to hear. I'm glad you are digging the book! As far as clinics go, well, I haven't been invited by any dealers or festivals over there. That's what it would take. I do not decide where I do them... I have to be invited! Maybe you can start bugging dealers and festival organizers to get me over there! I will be at the Frankfurt Music Messe on March 22nd and I'll be at Adams Drum Fest in Belgium on March 25th. I sure hope I make it to the UK sometime soon...

Jeremy--

Absolutely. You can control your environment entirely. I mean, you can choose to blast your head off too, but using in ears is so much healthier on your ears than dealing with the decibel levels that drums and cymbals make.

krayziemex--

Thanks for sharing that with me---and glad you are digging the DVDs! Yeah, the book will help with the materials on MM1. Brad Schlueter did an incredible job with the transcriptions!

My best to you all-
Todd

Todd,

I got out of drumming for several years and just recently picked it back up. The reason I say that is to say that I didnt know who you were untill a friend recently told me to look you up on youtube. And just like that, you have become one of my very favorite drummers ever!!!! Your style, technique, and teaching ability are just awesome.

Welcome to the site, and thanks so much for showing people like me how to play things we have never played before in a way that we can understand and enjoy!!!!!

I hope to be able to catch you live in the future at either a concert or a drum clinic.

Later
Jeff

Hi Todd,

I have a couple questions....

1: With the Vault crashes you use with Styx live, how tick are they? I'm comparing agianst A custom crashes by Zildjian. These are thin cymbals. Knowing you have good knowledge off the things you play, what are they? Thin, medium, thick?

2: Do you even change you main hats for a 13 inch model? To change up maybe? If not, why?
Me, myself, I use a 13 mostly, KZ by Zildjian

3: With the old precision ride, where they not natural in finish? With the Harmony Central interview you stated it is brillijant finish. Custom made at the time for you? Now a days the Liquid ride by Chester would be pretty much the same right?

That's all my questions for now. Hope you don't mind me being so..... full of questions!

cheers!

Roger

maybelooking---

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it. Hope you get to check out the "real thing" with my dvds. Over 9 hours between the two of them. And welcome back to the world of drumming too!

http://www.toddsucherman.com/methods-and-mechanics-2.html

Swiss---

Thanks! Man, it was just "throw and go"...no soundcheck, nothing! So I appreciate the kind words. Glad you were there.

Roger----

1. The Vaults are somewhat similar to the A Customs that were a bit thicker...I forget what they called the line. But they are bright and sturdy and most importantly musical. I use live 17", 18" 19" and a 20" AA Thin.

2. I haven't used 13"s since the 90s. I used KZs from '89-'97. That was the style then, but I really dig the 14"s. The 13"s seem thin and shrill in comparison but it really depends on the music, right?

3. The Precision ride is COMPLETELY different from the Liquid Ride. Chester had TWO rides and they were both renamed in the Vault series. They made both in Brilliant or Regular....whatever the customer wants.

There you go!

Cheers from Ontario, Canada

Todd

Hi Todd,

I've got another question....
If you would have to use a set with only 3 toms, what sizes would you use?
What is most versitile in your opinion?
You can imagine, me as a non-pro drummer, have 5 toms, no way :p at home maybe, but on stage, my band would kill me :p

so.... what's your opinion?

thank you Todd!

Cheers,

Roger

Uniongoon--

I did 4 Canadian dates with Lawrence Gowan last week.

Roger---

It depends on the music. So it really doesn't matter. 10, 12, 14 works, or 10, 12, 16. You can shuffle the sizes around but really....what's the music and what's the size rooms? That will dictate your answer!

I have some clinics coming up next week if anyone lives in these cities. Come out at say hello!

Todd

Monday April 16th
Mozingo Music
4689 Highway K
O’Fallon, MO 63368
7PM
$7 at the door
636-300-9553
Tuesday April 17th
Daddy O’s Music
Event held at,
Erins Pavilion Southwind Park
4965 S. Second Street
Springfield, IL 62703
7PM
$10 at the door
217-529-4840
Wednesday April 18th
Hauer Music
120 South Patterson BVD
Dayton, Oh 45402
7PM
$5 at the door
937-222-2815

Wednesday April 18th
Hauer Music
120 South Patterson BVD
Dayton, Oh 45402
7PM
$5 at the door
937-222-2815

Damn! Wednesday is drum lesson night. Wonder if I can convince teach we need to drive up from Cincy and have lessons in Dayton that night? :)

Hope you can make it to Cincinnati some time as well.

Hi Todd,

Just a quik question about sticks.
With your sticks being Maple, how much do you tend to break?
How long do you use one pair?

I've just recieved Vater 5B sugar Maple.
If I like these I'll order you sig maybe.
The vaters were easy to get so.....
But I sometimes play hard hitting stuff.
Mind you, Hickory 5Bs I wear out, they become thin.
I get rid off them when they break, arn't straight any more or do'n feel nice anymore....
Never broke one stick though!

Is maple for me? I know you tend too hit hard.

thank you!

Roger---

A pair can last a song or an entire night. After all, they are wood. And wood is a natural product so it depends on the piece you get. I have found that to be true whether it's Maple, Hickory or Oak....and whether it's Promark, Vater, Vic, etc.

The nice thing (for me) about Maple is that they don't shred like Hickory. They just sort of dent, and when it's time they just snap. Also the tips never chip. They often do with Hickory, but playing Maple sticks for the better part of 30 years, I've seen maybe 3 tips chip in that time frame. Pretty impressive.

I hope you check my stick out and that it works for you. I feel it's a unique design and I've never been happier using the 330Ws since they were designed in 2004.

Cheers,
Todd

Hi
Just wanted to say how inspirational your musicianship is. After "discovering" you on the 2008 Modern Drummer DVD last year, I have now gotten (oh, I bought them for my own money of course, still old fashioned in that sense) your DVDs as well as most of the Styx stuff with you on them (both Cds and live dvds). I thought that I had heard and "knew" all the bands, records and drummers that I could imagine and wanted to. Now I can add Styx and you to that list. Not putting down John Panozzos original parts, you have certainly raised the bar the way you play them.
Your Methods and Mechanics dvds are awesome, so inspirational, beautifully shot and musically brilliant and relevant. Watching a lot of drum-instructional dvds (and I got a lot of them), some makes me give up, some just full of technical and über-fast playing and some are just a show-off.
Although I'll never reach your level, your playing makes me want to play more, practice more and try to get better.
What more can you ask for? Now excuse me, but I'm off to my rehearsal space.

Cheers from Norway. (Don't rule out a couple of questions on this web in the future)

Kjetil

Kjetil,

Thanks for that note. I really appreciate your feedback and I'm so happy to hear that you enjoy my DVDs and my work with the band. Ask anything you wish.....
Thanks again!

Cheers from McAllen, TX.

Todd

Todd,

Have a great tour, stay safe and if you need any assistance on the road don't forget to check out Methods and Mechanics 2, lots of good tips in there for the traveling musician.

Hope to catch you at Meadowbrook NH. Best of luck.

2B

I caught the show at Cynthia Woods tonight and was completely blown away. The musicianship of you and your band was outstanding and very inspirational! Love that gong drum.....

Back