Gerry Rafferty Dies at 63

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
LONDON — Gerry Rafferty's agent says the Scottish singer behind hit songs "Baker Street" and "Stuck in the Middle With You" has died. He was 63.

Paul Charles confirmed Tuesday that his client, whose 1978 hit record "Baker Street" reached No. 3 in the U.K. and No. 2 in the U.S. music charts, had passed away following a long illness.
Rafferty wrote hit single "Stuck in the Middle With You" in 1972, while performing as part of the Scottish folk-rock band Stealers Wheel. The ode — or mocking tribute— to Bob Dylan's raspy voice grew new wings in film maker Quentin Tarantino's movie "Reservoir Dogs," and has sold more than a million copies worldwide.
He made headlines in recent years for his public struggles with alcoholism and had reportedly suffered liver failure.

I'm sorry to hear that.
I play Stuck In The Middle at many gigs.
I love the cowbell part!
R.I.P. Gerry

*sigh* another one bites the dust.

He gave us a couple of excellent pop tunes. I was crazy about Baker Street when it came out - the ethereal intro, the smoothness and the gentle, poignant lyrics leading to Clarence C's dramatic sax melody and ballsy lead solo. Very satisfying arrangement.

*sigh* another one bites the dust.

He gave us a couple of excellent pop tunes. I was crazy about Baker Street when it came out - the ethereal intro, the smoothness and the gentle, poignant lyrics leading to Clarence C's dramatic sax melody and ballsy lead solo. Very satisfying arrangement.

Per wiki, the saxophone part isn't Clarence, it's a session guy by the name of Raphael Ravenscroft. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street_(song)

It is a great song, one that easily gets stuck in your head.

Alcoholism and liver failure? But I thought he gave up the booze and the one night stands.

The human body is a incredible machine ,but to much of the boozing lifestyle, i guess 63 is about right...... Loved Baker street when it came out.......RIP Gerry

I've had Baker Street stuck in my head non-stop since the news broke.

To be honest, I'm not even that familiar with anything else he did (outside of "Stuck in the Middle"). But that one song, such a classic.

Baker Street, a masterclass of melody writing, & not just the sax line, every line. You could make at least 4 hit chorus lines out of this one song. A true classic in that sense, & almost without equal. Shame to waste away in those circumstances, but a legacy that's beyond anything I could ever hope for. RIP Gerry.

Back