Who invented the push pull technique?

It probably just happened naturally, with multiple people over time. I remember discovering it on my own when I was about 12 or 13, but didn’t have the sense to do much with it at the time, because I hadn’t noticed anyone else doing it. I didn’t start messing with it much until I read an article by Gordy Knudtson back in the late 90s.

I saw a vid in which Buddy did it with his right hand at blistering speed. It may have been from the "At the Top" video but not exactly sure.

I imagine that it wasn't invented, but rather it just started happening with various people. As they noticed what was happening, they started to focus on it and hone it, making a distinction between that and other techniques. I think it was George Kolias that said his swivel technique on his kick drum, just started happening on it's own. When he realized what he was doing, he started doing it on purpose, and focusing on it.

That's an interesting technique but I wonder about its "dangers" for older, beginning drummers. I've already dealt with carpal tunnel and trigger finger having returned to drumming after a 25 yr. hiatus and played catch-up on the rudiments. I got the shots and recovered. Meanwhile my friend and mentor decided to get back into drumming after a similar break and developed trigger finger. I decided to work on matched grip to allow my left hand to heal a bit after trad grip led to the carpal tunnel problems and I can feel the trigger finger tightness developing in my left hand and will stay away from the push-pull technique.
But for younger drummers it's probably not a problem.

Back