Making A Band

HUdrummer

Hello everyone, I have not yet ever been in a band yet, but would really like to be in one. I have written alot of songs, and recorded a few, so I have a little experience doing that, but all that was all solo. Now I think I should start a band. How would I find people to join. and also how would I find a place to practice at. And later places to gig at. Any advice?

My advice would be to say you are starting a band and are looking for other musicians on the many social networking sites. There are other sites just for musicians who are looking for others to start a band or audition for current ones.

Once you have your band together and rehearse for a while then you can create a web page and start advertising. You can also advertise in the local newspapers. If you are really serious about this you can also hire a manager later that can book you gigs. Just don't hire family or friends to be your band's manager, that can get really messy.

Just go down to the band room, bound to be great musicians of your liking there.

Well obviously if you have any friends that play instruments see if they want to get together. Or see if your friends know anyone that plays. I'd do that as a first resort because it's a bit easier when you know the people already. Other than that craigslist is the place to find bands and musicians now. It's fairly populated with musicians and you should be able to find some people on there. Also don't be afraid to post your own ad saying you are looking for a band. I actually find that I get more emails that way. Where do you practice now? If that's not an option then you either gotta go to someone in the bands house, or rent a space. There are hourly practice studios and also monthly places you can rent. After you got the band, get some songs down good, and get a few recorded. It doesn't have to be great, just a good home recording will do. Then send those to local bars, and venues. Or hit up the open mic nights usually if you do well at open mic you'll get invited back to play a real set.

The only problem with my friends is that they really arent very good at anything they do. Some of my friends say that they can sing ( But he is only "ok", He isnt quite good enough to sing in front of a stage, at least now anyway. I think he has potential though) and "have" (not learned) a guitar. they say that they will take lessons and stuff. Should I just wait til they take lessons and stuff, or just forget about them. The only reason I struggle with this is that all my friends like the same type of music, and all are absolutely amazing at writing songs. If I were to wait for them to take lessons for about a year or so, then let them progress as we practice as a band I think we honestly will be really, really good. Anyway I am only 15.

Anyway I am only 15.

Occupation
Unemployed... Im only 14

Date of Birth
May 9, 1994 (16)

It does sound like Joey 182....LOL

The only problem with my friends is that they really arent very good at anything they do. Some of my friends say that they can sing ( But he is only "ok", He isnt quite good enough to sing in front of a stage, at least now anyway. I think he has potential though) and "have" (not learned) a guitar. they say that they will take lessons and stuff. Should I just wait til they take lessons and stuff, or just forget about them. The only reason I struggle with this is that all my friends like the same type of music, and all are absolutely amazing at writing songs. If I were to wait for them to take lessons for about a year or so, then let them progress as we practice as a band I think we honestly will be really, really good. Anyway I am only 15.

If your friends can't play I would really think twice about asking them to form a band with you. One of the bad things about making a band with friends is that it is very tough to break up the band without pissing someone off. Do you really want to wait around for your friends to get better? I've been in a "band" with my friend for 3 years. While he is a good guitar player, we just can't seem to get stuff together and have had a revolving door of singers. So 3 years later and we haven't played a single show, have about 5 songs written. But I don't really want to be the one to say I think the problem is you.

How are you and your friends who don't play instruments writing songs????????????? Do you just hum and record it?
On another thread you're asking for advice that you'll probably not follow,on what drum kits to buy.You're not in a band,and you've never giged in your life,and you want to buy a custom made kit?
Two things.One is that you really need to slow down and learn to play first,and not rely on your instrument to make you a better player.If you can play it doesn't matter what you have.One of Steve Gadds drum techs once remarked that "he could make tuppware sound good".
Two....you need to realize that the kit you have is good enough for now,unless it is unrepairable.Don't let money burn a hole in your pocket.
Gundersdad....you're right......joey182......same thing...different day...rant over

Steve B

I see what your saying. I am in a big hury and I should slow down. It's just that drumming is almost literally all I think about. I love it. Ive had a passion for it for as far as I can remember. Just to tell everyone, all these questions I'm asking are questions I've wondered about for as long as I've been drumming. Now that ive joined this site I can get these finally answered. Sorry if im being anoying or whatever. You guys are just giving me so much advice and I guess Im just taking advantage of that. Please explain to me what imm doing wrong on here so that I dont turn up like this "Joey182" person...?

Thanks everyone

And Tamadrm when I say writing songs I mean lyrics, Ive lessened to some of the lyrics they have writen and all them are very good.

If you wait for friends who may or may not bother to learn to play their instruments, you'll be waiting a hell of a long time IMHO.

Advertise locally, seek out likeminded people to jam with and build on it from there - doesn't necessarily mean they have to have the same musical tastes either......one of the most creative bands I've played in was the result of each guy coming from different musical influences.

Place ads at school. Speak to people who already play and ask if they know anyone looking to jam. Network, ask questions, talk to people and let them know your intentions.

Back