Need info on Gretsch model Oak stave snare drums

johnwesley

Silver Member
I have an Oak stave snare drum. It has the Gold series badge. However some of the Oak stave snares have a different badge and are referred to by Gretsch as "full range". The drums appear identical with exception of the badges and the reference as either "full range" OR "gold series". I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge of Gretsch can give me the answer. JW

Attachments

• oak gold series.jpg
    oak gold series.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 181
  • oak full range.jpg
    oak full range.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 169
I guess no one knows the difference. Looking close at the photos I do see a difference in the grains, but does that constitute badge differentiation and classification? Sure wish a Gretsch expert or even a currentpert had the answer.

All I know (and I'm not sure about it) is in 2014 Gretsch started using the names "gold series" and "silver series" instead of "full-range". They've gone back to using the full-range name.

Both are made from 30 7/8" staves, have 45-degree bearing edges, triple-flange hoops, and same strainer.

The only difference I could find is that the round badge version appears to be made in Taiwan and the square badge is made in the USA. And I'm not sure that's even correct. Links for reference:

Taiwan reference: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/gretsch-drums-gold-series-oak-stave-snare-drum#productDetail

USA reference: https://reverb.com/item/6950905-gretsch-6-5x14-solid-oak-stave-snare-drum-mint

The square badge version number is: S-6514SSO-SN
The round badge version number is: S1-6514SSO-SN -notice the "1" difference.
Link for reference: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=gretsch+oak+snare&rh=n%3A11091801%2Ck%3Agretsch+oak+snare

IF the above is true, then according to Amazon, an American-made version is cheaper than the Taiwanese-made version.

It appears to me they possibly switched manufacturing locations for the snare and thus rebranded it at that time. I'm not a Grestch expert and I'm sure there's more to this than what I found. I may just pull the trigger on one of these myself, but if I did, I would want verification the less expensive version is truly American made.

Edit: ok, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on one since the price was under $250 and I couldn't find another place online selling them new for anywhere near that -regardless of where it's actually made, that's a good deal on an oak stave snare.

Last edited:
Lee-Bro thanks for the info. Clarifies all, I think. At least it's a plausible explanation. You scored on the price for that drum for sure. Hope you enjoy it.

I contacted Gretsch (DW) about the differences and they said they're the same drum. When the badge was changed, they added a digit to the model number. Both from Taiwan.

picture.php

Mine arrived just a few minutes ago and it looks great and yes, has some weight to it. I wasn't sure if I'd get the round or square badge. I rec'd a square badge version.

Interestingly, even though the DW/Gretsch rep said both are from Taiwan, mine has a "HAND CRAFTED IN THAILAND" sticker on the inside. Regardless, I'm looking forward to tuning it up and giving it some playing time.

picture.php

picture.php

Back