App to measure the angle of snare drum

pt3407

I'm quite particular on the angle of my snare drum, and I'd like for it to be completely flat. I've used the iphone compass app to make it to 0 degrees, which is flat, but I've found it's not that accurate.

Any techniques or apps or whatever you guys use to acheive this?

I'm quite particular on the angle of my snare drum, and I'd like for it to be completely flat. I've used the iphone compass app to make it to 0 degrees, which is flat, but I've found it's not that accurate.

Any techniques or apps or whatever you guys use to acheive this?

Measure highest point distance from floor from bottom of snare.
Measure lowest point from floor. from bottom of snare
Subtract these two numbers
This gives you adjacent B.
Diameter is A.
A^2 + B^2 = C^2 (C is hypotenuse)
Calculate Adjacent / Hypotenuse
cos^-1 the result (adj/Hypotnuse)

Or wait.. something like that... Go here instead of listening me try to remember trig.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/trig-finding-angle-right-triangle.html

Not to sway you from doing whatever you want, but if you can't tell the angle by playing it, what difference does it make?

And sorry to be unhelpful, but I have no idea about an app for leveling purposes. However, a small level costs next to nothing at the hardware store. throw it in the drum case/cymbal bag pocket and you're ready.

I mean, if you're that weird about perfect flat (in relation to the floor, or sea, or building foundation?) then just go buy a freaking bubble level, ya freak.

On a side note, getting hung up about stuff like this is detrimental to your musicianship. Worry more about the sounds and the rhythms and less about what you're hitting and how it's setup. The longer we play, the less it matters, so it pays to be cautious about relying on weirdities like this.

Just set up for the gig, play a moment and then quickly adjust if you're hitting the rim too much or whatever.

every snare basket has several adjustments, and one sits right in the middle = flat. Thats as good as you need it.
I really hope there is not an app for this level of detail.

Glass of water placed on top of the snare.
If the water is level ,it's flat.

I'm guess the Compass on the iPhone is withing 1 Degree give or take 1 millimeter. I used it to measure the porch slant in front of my house to cut a 4 x 4 post. Put a level on it when done and it was plumb. You can buy a circle level for peanuts. I remember my brother in law after he and I put together one of those monster stereo cabninets loading it gear and then discovering one side was 1/8th inch further from the wall than the other. Really? Your snare looks level from here. Do you measure tilt on your cymbals as well.???

Glass of water placed on top of the snare.
If the water is level ,it's flat.

Well done pgm554!

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Don't listen to all of this silly advice you are getting here.

Simply bring one ball bearing with you. Put the ball bearing in the middle of the drum.
If you have a smooth drum head and if the ball stays in the middle of the drum, then it is level.
Keep adjusting the stand until the ball stays in the middle. (That ought to keep you busy for a while.)

Lol I agree with this.

The more you play, and gig, the more your will realize that setting your kit exactly how you want it is superfluous. Not to mention, stressful as well.

I'm all for individual subtlety and nuance......it plays a big part in our overall comfort levels at the kit. Certainly not a bad thing in and of itself. But this is just utterly friggen' ridiculous.

If you can't play your kit without obsessing over micrometric measurements, then I'm gonna argue that the minuscule differences in the angle of your snare drum from one set up to the next is the very least of your concerns.

In my experience, you can either play or you can't. And it's never lost on me how the latter group seem to clutch at any reason, no matter how far fetched or absurd, in order to mask it.

OP, don't be one of those guys.

Simply bring one ball bearing with you.

Wouldn't a glass marble be better? A ball bearing could be subject to magnetic interference...

As someone who has a tendency towards obsessive behaviours, I sympathise with the OP. And while the best advice is clearly just to relax and play what feels right, I'm thinking custom hoops with spirit-level inlays at 3 and 9 o'clock would be awesome.

I would use a golf ball. Gently lay the ball of the head and see whnich way it rolls. Repeat until it's proper. Just be sure to use a ball marker before lifting the ball each time. Failure to do so is a two stroke penalty.

I really think you should stop thinking about this. Worrying about your setup to me is a worry you have before you are a good drummer. That does not mean I am saying you aren't a good drummer. But good drummers should be able to sit at any drum set and still be a drummer!

Wouldn't a glass marble be better? A ball bearing could be subject to magnetic interference...

As someone who has a tendency towards obsessive behaviours, I sympathise with the OP. And while the best advice is clearly just to relax and play what feels right, I'm thinking custom hoops with spirit-level inlays at 3 and 9 o'clock would be awesome.

I think noon and three would be better. Don't you want to check the level in both the X and Y axis? ;) In for a penny, in for a pound.

Back