DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin. Right now I want to focus on getting my limbs to play in unison, I've noticed for instance that the hi hat/right hand tends to be a bit after the bass drum. My goal is to improve all limbs to be exact to a microscopic level as you put it.

I have an electronic drum kit hooked up to a computer and it's very easy for me to record and zoom in. It will tell me exactly how much after/before I am. The problem is, how do I use all that in the most effective way?

What kind of exercises should I do? Right now I've been doing this one but I don't know what else I can do to practice these things in the most effective way:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9_MpVt8Eok

Skip to 01:10 if you want to see the exercise slow.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 PM

Gavin,

Do you have any suggestions for working on our timing when we're away from the drums? Say traveling on the bus from one place to another or waiting at the doctors office, for instance.

Thank you!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Sir,
I don't know if you've watched this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u6JI...ature=youtu.be

It's a cover of Sound of Muzak by a drummer who is Physically Challenged.
It's a matter of pride for you to have inspired someone so much to over come a disability and I'm sure he'll be extremely honored if you'd watch it.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:35 AM

Hi, Gavin!

I just bought and listened the most recent OSI album (Fire make Thunder). I must say it sounds great and as usual you did an amazing job. I'd like to know, at the beginning of the second track (Guards), you can hear drum loops. Did you record these? If so, did Jim and Keven had this intro in mind while they were recording or you just came up with these idea?

I've been following this thread for long time now and over the years you answered lots of questions about micking, mixing and recording the drums. Did you get all this knowledge from yourself (books, self-experimentations, videos, forums, etc.) ?, from sound engineers ?
Or both?

Thanks, again for answering these!!!!
Ethan (Quebec, Canada)
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 PM

http://youtu.be/5oEFOlrjg2s

Hey here is a link to my first Youtube video, let me know what you think!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrummer View Post
Hey Gavin. Right now I want to focus on getting my limbs to play in unison, I've noticed for instance that the hi hat/right hand tends to be a bit after the bass drum. My goal is to improve all limbs to be exact to a microscopic level as you put it.

I have an electronic drum kit hooked up to a computer and it's very easy for me to record and zoom in. It will tell me exactly how much after/before I am. The problem is, how do I use all that in the most effective way?

What kind of exercises should I do? Right now I've been doing this one but I don't know what else I can do to practice these things in the most effective way:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9_MpVt8Eok

Skip to 01:10 if you want to see the exercise slow.
Hey EvilDrummer, although I'm not Gavin I know some of his warm up exercises, just go on youtube and look for "Gavin Harrison warm up", you'll find a lot of different videos with great exercises ;) In my opinion this video is the best answer to your question of how to play precisely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs25CQyBaoc
Have fun and keep up practising ;)
Cheers
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi EvilDrummer

Right now I want to focus on getting my limbs to play in unison, I've noticed for instance that the hi hat/right hand tends to be a bit after the bass drum. My goal is to improve all limbs to be exact to a microscopic level as you put it.
I have an electronic drum kit hooked up to a computer and it's very easy for me to record and zoom in. It will tell me exactly how much after/before I am. The problem is, how do I use all that in the most effective way?What kind of exercises should I do?

You need to really hear what it sounds like when the bass drum is exactly with the hi hat...and get that sound in your memory. Looking at it on a computer will drive you crazy and won't help you whilst you're playing. You need to recognise when they're are not together and be able to adjust. Try playing quarter notes on the bass drum and hand to hand 16ths on the hi hat. When that sounds ok play the 16ths starting with the left..and when that sounds ok play triplets on the hi hat (keep the quarter notes on the bass drum) and just concentrate on hearing the bass drum and hi hat together.

Hi paulegavin

Do you have any suggestions for working on our timing when we're away from the drums? Say traveling on the bus from one place to another or waiting at the doctors office, for instance.

I usually just think of different polyrhythms and tap them out on my legs.

Hi drumbumhamza

Sir,
I don't know if you've watched this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u6JI...ature=youtu.be

It's a cover of Sound of Muzak by a drummer who is Physically Challenged.
It's a matter of pride for you to have inspired someone so much to over come a disability and I'm sure he'll be extremely honored if you'd watch it.

yes I've seen it before and he's very good.

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

I just bought and listened the most recent OSI album (Fire make Thunder). I must say it sounds great and as usual you did an amazing job. I'd like to know, at the beginning of the second track (Guards), you can hear drum loops. Did you record these? If so, did Jim and Keven had this intro in mind while they were recording or you just came up with these idea?

I didn't record those loops - they were already there when I got the track to play on.

I've been following this thread for long time now and over the years you answered lots of questions about micking, mixing and recording the drums. Did you get all this knowledge from yourself (books, self-experimentations, videos, forums, etc.) ?, from sound engineers ?Or both?

I learnt a lot from working in studios and noticing what was going on with the mics and and the outboard gear. I talked to a lot of engineers and also experimented a lot on my own in my home studio...and I'm still learning!!

Hi bmawatson

http://youtu.be/5oEFOlrjg2s
Hey here is a link to my first Youtube video, let me know what you think!

sorry but I don't comment on videos folks post here for me.

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin, I'm wondering about a passage in the song Free, starting at 1.03. I'm counting two bars of 7/4 followed by 5/16, is that correct? How did you count that part?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Sjogras

I don't know a song called "Free". What band/album are you referring to?

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM

Hello Gavin,

thanks for the great drum clinic yesterday in Hannover. We enjoyed it and learned so much. The most important thing is to listen, as you said. How true, I keep telling that my young musicians all the time...

My question: when you say you try to think like e.g. a piano player, I think you think/feel in phrases. Do you switch between thinking in phrases and in bars?

Regards

Andy Lux
Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Sjogras

I don't know a song called "Free". What band/album are you referring to?

cheers
Gavin
The song is on Rebirth by Alberto Rigoni.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Hi Gavin,
I'd be really thankful if you could post a picture of your current Axis-pedal setting.
Ive been experimenting with my old Axis for months now,but I never really get satisfied.
It would be great to see your setup.

(My left pedal is basically the same...)

Thank you very much!
Chris
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyCopelandCameron View Post
Hi Gavin,
I'd be really thankful if you could post a picture of your current Axis-pedal setting.
Ive been experimenting with my old Axis for months now,but I never really get satisfied.

(My left pedal is basically the same...)

Thank you very much!
Chris
To my knowledge Gavin doesn't play Axis pedals anymore. He now uses Tama Speed Cobra pedals.

Here is a link that might be useful:
http://www.askgavinharrison.com/arti...edal-settings-

But remember that you're not Gavin so, what works for Gavin might not work at all for you.

Dre
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Thank you!
Sure,Im not Gavin,I was just curious about his setup.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 PM

Hi Gavin,

I saw you 5 days ago in Hannover and it was just stunning. You played absolutely incredible and explained everything very well.
I want to know if you could explain or name a rudiment or have a transcription for the pattern you play for example in the creator has a mastertape at 3:29. you play it in other songs as well. there are some ghost notes on the snare that i cant figure out. and there are 2 bass drum kicks within and 2 toms every time the pattern ends i think.
Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Philipp
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipp View Post
epic chop
I'm pretty sure the sticking is RLRRLKK
Old 04-20-2012, 01:56 AM

Hello Gavin,

Here's my dilemma...I've been playing for about 10 years now and never really put proper technique to use when playing with bands (I play mostly fast aggressive music). I've recently been practicing proper stick/hand and foot technique and do fine on my own on a pad or my kit but, when I start playing with someone it all goes by the wayside. I'll find myself halfway through a jam session and realize I'm doing everything the way I always have rather than the way I'm practicing now.

I guess what I'm asking is do you have any tips that will help me break those old habbits?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyCopelandCameron View Post
he plays tama speed cobras now...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm sitting a practical examination in May for my music course at university and one of the pieces i've chosen to perform is your rendition of Slippin' Away. I am in need of a backing track for this piece and I was wondering if there is one available for download/purchase on the market and where I could get hold of it?

Many thanks,

Sam B.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 PM

Hi Gavin,

While you were recording the drum tracks for the new OSI album did you use the BC2 or Gigster? If so, how did it change your experience while tracking? Did you make adjustments with your headphone mix, for example. Do you hear, and/or feel, a difference in your playing by using the BC2 or Gigster?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipp View Post
Hi Gavin,

I saw you 5 days ago in Hannover and it was just stunning. You played absolutely incredible and explained everything very well.
I want to know if you could explain or name a rudiment or have a transcription for the pattern you play for example in the creator has a mastertape at 3:29. you play it in other songs as well. there are some ghost notes on the snare that i cant figure out. and there are 2 bass drum kicks within and 2 toms every time the pattern ends i think.
Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Philipp
Here you go Phillipp:

http://www.askgavinharrison.com/transcriptions/3

Hope it helps!

Terry
Old 04-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Gavin,

I recently purchased "The Man Who Sold Himself" and already have 2000 questions to ask. But this first one should be easy, in the 1st chorus of Prize I can hear a cymbal that sounds off, I can tell your thrashing away on the China's but at 1:23 and 1:31 in the song I can hear a cymbal that sounds like a mix of splash/china.. it has a very unique sound that I have not heard in your other works (with 05Ric, or PT), did you happen to get a new cymbal that hasn't been recorded before?

Eric
Old 04-26-2012, 04:19 AM

Gavin
I was listening to Bonnie the Cat, and was wondering how you feel the main groove of that song. To me it seems like a bar of 7/8, a bar of 5/8, and a bar of 2/4. This all adds up to 4/4 time, but what's the best way, in your mind, to feel this? Regardless, it's still an extremely tasteful groove!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_C View Post
Gavin
I was listening to Bonnie the Cat, and was wondering how you feel the main groove of that song. To me it seems like a bar of 7/8, a bar of 5/8, and a bar of 2/4. This all adds up to 4/4 time, but what's the best way, in your mind, to feel this? Regardless, it's still an extremely tasteful groove!
Hi there, it's all 4/4 :)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 PM

Gavin, hi. First off, thanks a lot for being such a nice, modest, down to earth genius and for spending your extremelly limited time with fellow drum freaks here at this forum.

I just wanted to pop up a simple question: any plans in the near future to come to Brazil, play and do some clinics??

If you tell me you already have done that, it would probably mean you only came to So Paulo. What happens musically in So Paulo, rest of the country never hears about. :-(

I know you played with Heitor TP some many years ago, so I guess brazilian music is not so unfamiliar to you.

Thanks, and peace and music in your heart, always!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM

Hey Gavin!
The audition went great! The tutor said i had great feel and some really interesting ideas while still keeping true to the song. He also said that I should start learning the things they do in first year so hopefully thats a hint that I played well enough to get in!
By the way I was wondering would you (or anyone on this thread) know where I can get a good version of The Chicken? The stuff they do in first year is very similar to that so I wanna get started!
Also I asked Xmusic in Dublin if they could get you back for a clinic soon, they said they'd try there best so im hoping to see you soon! If it happens it would be great if you could stop by the college, if its at the right time of course. I know you know Graham Hopkins, hes one of the drum tutors.
Many thanks!
Jakk
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi astroandy

when you say you try to think like e.g. a piano player, I think you think/feel in phrases. Do you switch between thinking in phrases and in bars?

I just mean to think outside of being a drummer and try to play melodically - play in phrases like a sax or trumpet soloist. I never lose where the bars and downbeats are.

Hi Sjogras

I'm wondering about a passage in the song Free, starting at 1.03. I'm counting two bars of 7/4 followed by 5/16, is that correct? How did you count that part?

yes I think that's correct.

Hi CareyCopelandCameron

I don't have any photos of my Axis settings - I haven't played them for more than a year since I started playing Tama SpeedCobras. There are a lot of adjustments on the Axis and of course they all have an affect on each other. If you move the cam bar setting it really changes the feel of all the other settings. Looking at your photo it seems that your beaters are not straight - kind of pointing off to the right. Am I right? I found those Sonic Hammer beaters quite hard to play.

Hi philipp

thanks to the transcription master Terry Branam for helping us out with that.

Hi AndysJunkyMusic

Here's my dilemma...I've been playing for about 10 years now and never really put proper technique to use when playing with bands (I play mostly fast aggressive music). I've recently been practicing proper stick/hand and foot technique and do fine on my own on a pad or my kit but, when I start playing with someone it all goes by the wayside. I'll find myself halfway through a jam session and realize I'm doing everything the way I always have rather than the way I'm practicing now.I guess what I'm asking is do you have any tips that will help me break those old habbits?

Playing and practising are quite often completely different things. It takes a very long time to break old habits - I think you'd have to make a very conscious effort to hang on during jam sessions.

Hi Sam Bidgood

I'm sitting a practical examination in May for my music course at university and one of the pieces i've chosen to perform is your rendition of Slippin' Away. I am in need of a backing track for this piece and I was wondering if there is one available for download/purchase on the market and where I could get hold of it?

Sorry but it's not available. It's a very simple song so maybe you could get a keyboard player to sequence it for you. (That's what I did).

Hi JeffV71

While you were recording the drum tracks for the new OSI album did you use the BC2 or Gigster? If so, how did it change your experience while tracking? Did you make adjustments with your headphone mix, for example. Do you hear, and/or feel, a difference in your playing by using the BC2 or Gigster?

I used the BC2. It just makes playing the bass drum a bit more comfortable and feels like you have a little more control of your articulation.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I recently purchased "The Man Who Sold Himself" and already have 2000 questions to ask. But this first one should be easy, in the 1st chorus of Prize I can hear a cymbal that sounds off, I can tell your thrashing away on the China's but at 1:23 and 1:31 in the song I can hear a cymbal that sounds like a mix of splash/china.. it has a very unique sound that I have not heard in your other works (with 05Ric, or PT), did you happen to get a new cymbal that hasn't been recorded before?

I think it was a Zildjian 15" Custom Hybrid Trash Crash. I don't recall if I've used it on a recording before that song.

Hi Clay_C

Thanks - it is all in 4/4 and I think Terry Branam has also made a good transcription of this somewhere. Has it already been posted on this thread?

Hi mabhz

I just wanted to pop up a simple question: any plans in the near future to come to Brazil, play and do some clinics??

No plans at the moment. Of course I'd love to come and do some. I had a great time there when I toured Brazil for a month in 1994 with Heitor.

Hi JakkP

By the way I was wondering would you (or anyone on this thread) know where I can get a good version of The Chicken?

KFC ?

cheers
Gavin
Old 04-27-2012, 07:12 PM

Hi Gavin,

Can you please break down the fill you did just before the last chorus of "Sound Of Muzak" on your Modern Drummer performance?
It's absolutely brilliant and I keep thinking I'm missing something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxqWiRCg4mM&feature=fvst Fill starts @ 4:04

Thanks,
Amir.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agd8 View Post
Hi Gavin,

Can you please break down the fill you did just before the last chorus of "Sound Of Muzak" on your Modern Drummer performance?

Thanks,
Amir.
I'm pretty sure it's this sticking:
askgavinharrison.com/transcriptions/9 - the first bar is being repeated and the accents moved around the kit
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Hi mabhz

No plans at the moment. Of course I'd love to come and do some. I had a great time there when I toured Brazil for a month in 1994 with Heitor.

cheers
Gavin
Thanks a lot for the reply, Gavin. Im glad to hear you have fond memories of the time spent here with Heitor. By the way, he just dissapeared! At least, we dont hear from him for quite a long time now.

Lets say, if I wanted to try and make arrangements so a few performances and clinics could happen here in Brazil in the medium future, how should I proceed and who should I talk to?

Has "anyone" from Brazil already aproached you concerning this? Is anything already in the process (like Sonor Brasil sponsoring or something like that)?

Thanks for any info! As they say, theres a wish, theres a wil, theres a way.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
I'm pretty sure it's this sticking:
askgavinharrison.com/transcriptions/9 - the first bar is being repeated and the accents moved around the kit
It does sound similar, thanks.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agd8 View Post
Hi Gavin,

Thanks,
Amir.
Hi Amir,

Here is a transcription that I did of that fill.

And also this one for Clay_C:

Old 04-28-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Branam View Post
Hi Amir,

Here is a transcription that I did of that fill.

And also this one for Clay_C:

Awesome! Thanks Terry.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:01 AM

Hi Gavin,
sorry if this question was asked and answered before, couldn't find anything here or on the askgavinharrison site...

I enquire about the hardware/cymbal holder you use for the 5 custom bells/chimes, is it Sonor or a different maker? If you (or anyone else) could give me a hint...

Cheers.

Keep up the good work, Gavin for your inspiring creativity and Bernhard for the site and forum.
Looking forward to the next PT album and tour.

Kind regards
Stef
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 AM

Hey Gavin,

I was just wondering if when you first joined PT, how much of an interest you had in the band's music. Did you like their music? I know you've stated that you were ready to finally join a band, but didn't know if their music prior to you joining was a big factor for you or not.

Cheers,

- Danny
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Agd8

Thanks again to Terry Branam for the great transcriptions.

Hi mabhz

Im glad to hear you have fond memories of the time spent here with Heitor. By the way, he just dissapeared! At least, we dont hear from him for quite a long time now.

I knew he moved to LA more than 10 years ago. In fact the last time I saw him was there in 1998.

Has "anyone" from Brazil already aproached you concerning this? Is anything already in the process (like Sonor Brasil sponsoring or something like that)?

no - nobody has approached me concerning drum clinics in Brazil.

Hi heaven'stef

I enquire about the hardware/cymbal holder you use for the 5 custom bells/chimes, is it Sonor or a different maker? If you (or anyone else) could give me a hint...

It is made with the Sonor 'Basic Arm' parts...but the lowest three cymbal holders had to be customised so that the threads go a lot lower than usual. That way those 3 cymbals can be lower than the higher two. Does that make sense?
Name:  IMG_1081.JPG
Views: 2998
Size:  183.9 KB

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

I was just wondering if when you first joined PT, how much of an interest you had in the band's music. Did you like their music? I know you've stated that you were ready to finally join a band, but didn't know if their music prior to you joining was a big factor for you or not.

I wasn't following PT and didn't really know their music - nor was I really looking for a band to join. I had heard a little bit of their stuff through Richard Barbieri and I thought it was interesting. When the opportunity arose and I was asked to join - then I thought it was worth a go. After that I thought it was probably a good time for me to try being in a band anyway.

cheers
Gavin
Old 05-05-2012, 01:59 PM

I absolutely love your Vic Firth signature sticks. My favorite color too ! They just feel so right. So versatile. Great job ! They are my favorites overall, and I have a lot of styles, all Vics of course.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Hi heaven'stef

It is made with the Sonor 'Basic Arm' parts...but the lowest three cymbal holders had to be customised so that the threads go a lot lower than usual. That way those 3 cymbals can be lower than the higher two. Does that make sense?
Attachment 48647

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin,
thanks a lot for your reply, 'course it makes sense. Did Sonor customise the 3 holders for you or did you do it yourself? Or should I ask, would it be possible to customise them myself?

Thank you, once again, apprechiate you're taking your time to answer all those questions, I think I can speak for all us us here.
Kind regards

Stefan

Last edited by heaven'stef; 05-07-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Hi Gavin, I've got a question about your custom chimes.

You've said before you have made them yourself - but those 5 chimes you play nowadays seem to have a full "Zildjian" logo. It is pretty unusual for a 14" and bigger cymbals to have the "Zildjian" logo so close to the bell. Are those some new chimes, that Zildjian made for you? If so, is there any way of buying them :)? They should make that "Gavin Harrison signature chimes"!

Thanks in adv.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Here's more info on how Gavin made those bell cymbals:

http://www.askgavinharrison.com/arti...ur-left-bells-

That inspired me to do some myself... Modded 6 (cracked) cymbals into bells - and got addicted doing more in the future. Need to build a cymbal holder now.

@ Meksyk
If you browse a bit through this thread you'll find some more info on those bells. The link I mentioned is repeatedly brought up in the thread, too. Do you have cracked cymbals? Modify them! (I didn't have any cracked cymbals but bought some off Ebay.)