DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post

Hi Dont Taze Me Bro

I've been thrilled about the new OSI album sampler, it sounds killer, and to add to this excitement... I see that OSI has planned a large tour.

if you look at that page again you'll see that OSI are not in the artist list and are not making a tour. That is a list of all the acts on Metal Blade records. Sorry to disappoint you.

cheers
Gavin

Ah no! I figured it was a bunch of stuff OSI was opening for.. I got there from the 'tour' link on the OSI website, so that is misleading :(.

Thanks for correcting me before I took the initiative to go to one of these shows!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Taze Me Bro View Post
Ah no! I figured it was a bunch of stuff OSI was opening for.. I got there from the 'tour' link on the OSI website, so that is misleading :(.

Thanks for correcting me before I took the initiative to go to one of these shows!
OSI opening for Nile? I'd die to see this...
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen it secifically in this thread. With respect to tuning your toms, I'm curious about the relative pitch/tension between your batter and resonant heads.

Thanks for the info. I'm a big fan of your drumming, and I think your drum sound is perfect.

Rick
Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 PM

Hi Gavin!

Sorry in advance for the long letter, It's a wrong habit of mine lately.

My first question is about your Hardcases. I saw a Youtube video about those, where I saw that yours got foam (or something) inside them to give your drums some extra protection. But for this to happen, you needed bigger cases obviously. My setup is very similar to yours (8-10-12-14—22, 14snare), so I’m interested in what sizes do you use for which drum. I’d think that you use the following, please correct me, If I’m wrong somewhere. 8” drum into a 10” case, 10” drum into a 12” case, 12” tom into a 13” case, 14” drum into a 15” case (buti f I’m correct you’re using a 15” floor tom, so It’s probably a 16” case) but I have no idea about the bass drum and the snare. 22” bass drum into a 23? Is there a 23” bass drum case? Or a 15” snare case?

My second question is about your double bass technique. You stated that you always do single strokes, and you’re always leading with your right feet. Well, I’m only in my beginner studies, but at faster stuff I sometimes feel that starting with the left is what comes more naturally. Basically if it’s an „upstroke”, I’m starting with the left. If a „downstroke”, I’m leading with my right. I’m not sure that this upstoke-downstoke stuff is applicable to feet techique, but thats the only way for me to describe the situation (upbeat-downbeat maybe?). Do you think my approach is wrong? Can this approach be a problem for me later on at more complex stuff? Meaning: I might end up „on the wrong feet at the end of a fill or something”?

The third is about sticks. I know that sticks are soooo personal, that there is no real way to suggest me a stick, but my question is about HOW to choose. I’m currently keep switching back and forth between a Vic Firth X5AVG and a X5BVG. I know, not a big difference, but sometimes the 5A is perfect (feel, rebound, etc.), but sometimes it feels too thin. In case of the 5B is the same, but sometimes it feels too thick. Sometimes I got blisters from one, or my wrists hurt from the other. There’s probably some minor technique problem too that needs adjusting, but still. Do you have any workout or exercise or a "magic trick" that could help me to figure out which sticks works best for me? I’d really love to use only one kind. Choosing a 55A (the stick in between these two) is not an option, because there is no way I’ll ever use a stick again without Vic Grip, and a 55A does not come with that option, plus it's shorter too.
Any ideas could help!

Thank you for your time in advance, and I hope it’s not that cold in London. Here its -15! :(
Cheers from Hungary,
Matthew

Last edited by szokematyi; 02-04-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Hey man, it's -25 in here!

Cheers from Lithuania
Old 02-05-2012, 12:22 PM

Hi Gavin,

I recently moved away from home in order to study at university. Therefore I don´t have a drumset to practise on and after having played only on a practise pad for a while it is really strange to sit behind the kit again because it feels like I´ve lost a major part of my strength and especially accuracy.

So my question would be if you ever had to bypass a longer period of time you didn´t have access to a proper drumset and if you have any advice how to keep in shape the least.

cheers
Nikolas
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have a question about the song What happens Now from Nil Recurring. There is a part after 5:00 I really don't get. I think it's one of the most trickiest parts I've ever heard so far. Even the other PT guys look very let's say concentrated while playing this part on your DVD Anesthetize.

So I guess the whole thing starts with the guitar alone playing in 5/4. After 9 bar the drums come in with a groove which destroys my feeling for the guitar riff completely. After a few bars the guitar starts to play something which sounds like triplets because every 3rd note fits with your ride. But I'm always confused when you play the "1" on the crashes together with the chords from the guitar.

So please tell me about this part. Usually I don't have any problems to get what people play but not this time
Thank you
Old 02-06-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post
Hi Gavin,

I have a question about the song What happens Now from Nil Recurring. There is a part after 5:00 I really don't get. I think it's one of the most trickiest parts I've ever heard so far. Even the other PT guys look very let's say concentrated while playing this part on your DVD Anesthetize.

So I guess the whole thing starts with the guitar alone playing in 5/4. After 9 bar the drums come in with a groove which destroys my feeling for the guitar riff completely. After a few bars the guitar starts to play something which sounds like triplets because every 3rd note fits with your ride. But I'm always confused when you play the "1" on the crashes together with the chords from the guitar.

So please tell me about this part. Usually I don't have any problems to get what people play but not this time
Thank you
I guess that ride bell is played on every third sixteenth note. Gavin likes to use this one, you can also hear it on Be The Hero by O.S.I.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Hey gavin,
Silly question but still can you tell me which headphones you use..??
Does anyone know any good make headphones for drums specifically with good isolation??
Thanks..
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nils View Post
Hi Gavin,

Thank you

It's " easy " : a 7/8 pattern beetwen bass drum and snare against 3/16 on the bell of the ride ...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 AM

I thought about the 3rd/16th pattern too (since I like to watch Rhythmic Horizons all the time) but nevertheless I didn't get it :(
Guess I have to listen to it once again with the 'easy' 7/8 part in mind
But thanks anyway
Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Schnitzelhead

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I haven't seen it secifically in this thread. With respect to tuning your toms, I'm curious about the relative pitch/tension between your batter and resonant heads.

I don't really tune to exact notes - but my resonant heads are between a semitone and a tone higher than the batter heads.

Hi szokematyi

My first question is about your Hardcases so I’m interested in what sizes do you use for which drum. I’d think that you use the following, please correct me, If I’m wrong somewhere. 8” drum into a 10” case, 10” drum into a 12” case, 12” tom into a 13” case, 14” drum into a 15” case (buti f I’m correct you’re using a 15” floor tom, so It’s probably a 16” case) but I have no idea about the bass drum and the snare. 22” bass drum into a 23? Is there a 23” bass drum case? Or a 15” snare case?

Yes you have guessed correctly but the snare drum cases and bass drum cases are not 'over sized' like the tom cases are.

My second question is about your double bass technique. You stated that you always do single strokes, and you’re always leading with your right feet. Well, I’m only in my beginner studies, but at faster stuff I sometimes feel that starting with the left is what comes more naturally. Basically if it’s an „upstroke”, I’m starting with the left. If a „downstroke”, I’m leading with my right. I’m not sure that this upstoke-downstoke stuff is applicable to feet techique, but thats the only way for me to describe the situation (upbeat-downbeat maybe?). Do you think my approach is wrong? Can this approach be a problem for me later on at more complex stuff? Meaning: I might end up „on the wrong feet at the end of a fill or something”?

What you're doing is not wrong. But if you get really used to your right foot always being 'on the beat' and you left foot always playing the 'off beats' you might feel uncomfortable when playing odd time signatures as many times it will throw you into the reverse of that footing.

I know that sticks are soooo personal, that there is no real way to suggest me a stick, but my question is about HOW to choose. I’m currently keep switching back and forth between a Vic Firth X5AVG and a X5BVG. I know, not a big difference, but sometimes the 5A is perfect (feel, rebound, etc.), but sometimes it feels too thin. In case of the 5B is the same, but sometimes it feels too thick. Sometimes I got blisters from one, or my wrists hurt from the other. There’s probably some minor technique problem too that needs adjusting, but still. Do you have any workout or exercise or a "magic trick" that could help me to figure out which sticks works best for me?

I have no magic trick for you. I have changed sticks many times over the years - and it depended on what style (and volume) I was playing in. It depends how big your hands are too. Since I developed my own signature stick with Vic Firth I've just been using those. The balance feels perfect to me but what stick you end up choosing is a very personal thing.

Hi de Nick

So my question would be if you ever had to bypass a longer period of time you didn´t have access to a proper drumset and if you have any advice how to keep in shape the least.

I hate being away from my drumset for more than a few days maximum. I need to play it everyday ideally. Playing on pads or an electronic kit is a very different feeling - but it's better than nothing at all.

Hi Nils

It is a tricky part to play. Forget about the 5/8 guitar loop at the start of that section. Basically I'm playing a 7/8 rhythm between the bass drum and snare drum - and a 3/16ths override on the bell of the ride cymbal. There is a crash every four bars of 7/8 to change with the guitar chords - but sometimes they fall in odd places against the 7/8 + 3/16 pattern.

Hi allanthomas

Silly question but still can you tell me which headphones you use..??
Does anyone know any good make headphones for drums specifically with good isolation??

when I'm playing at home in my studio I'm using my Ultimate Ears UE10s with a pair of maximum isolation shooting muffs over the top of those. On stage I use Sensaphonics 3D Ambient 'in ears'

cheers
Gavin.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:09 AM

Hello Gavin,

I cannot state how much I enjoy listening to your playing, and how much I feel inspired by your playing and rhythmic ability. I have come to a very unusual problem with my practicing, and was hoping to get a little bit of advice from someone who practices several hours in a day (so I have read).

Lately, I have gotten this app for my iPad called Tempo Advanced and I have been using the feature of increasing the BPM during practice. I set it to increase 2 BPM every 20 measures and In an effort to get my arms to move a bit quicker between the drums, I have been practicing the Swiss Army Triplet while not allowing either hand to hit the same thing twice in a row. After countless hours behind my kit doing this, I did get the desired effect and I feel much more comfortable and confident in transitioning between drums. However, the problem lies in my hands. Well, my right hand to be specific. No matter how slow I start practicing, when I start getting to play faster or heavier, my right thumb starts to ache and starts slipping off where I like it to be. I am almost constantly dropping my stick at tempos I would normally feel comfortable with, and the pain gets so annoying after a while, I just can't play for an hour or so. This has been going on for quite a while, and it's really getting frustrating. Do you have any advice for helping me with this issue?

Also, I do want to thank you for taking the time to answer the questions that are posted on this board. I often come here to see your answers and I want you to know they do not go to waste. A while ago, I heard No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun on Pandora, and recognized your playing almost immediately. For months I was mesmerized by that song, and it repeat, dissecting it as best I could, and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to play along with it. That song is the epitome of what I love about music and drumming. Upon cruising the posts, I came across your answer to how to play it. Shortly there after, I programmed my metronome to 21/8 (4/4 4/4 quater note, two dotted eighth notes) as described and after a few weeks practicing, I was able to play threw it. I cannot tell you how satisfying it is to be able to play along to it, I never thought I would be able to. As a side effect, my timing has greatly improved with odd times, and compound time signatures. Your work and your time is greatly appreciated, and I'm sure several hundred people who post and read on here would agree. Thank you again!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Venimal

No matter how slow I start practicing, when I start getting to play faster or heavier, my right thumb starts to ache and starts slipping off where I like it to be. I am almost constantly dropping my stick at tempos I would normally feel comfortable with, and the pain gets so annoying after a while, I just can't play for an hour or so. This has been going on for quite a while, and it's really getting frustrating. Do you have any advice for helping me with this issue?

there could be something odd about your grip. Or maybe you're using sticks that are the wrong size (too thin perhaps)? Have you tried Vic Firth sticks with "Vic Grip" ? Since I've used those in the last few years everything feels better - I don't grip as hard because I don't feel like the stick is moving away from me. I can't imagine I'd ever go back to sticks without it.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 PM

Hi Gavin

Excellent your new cd with Ric. I love the tom sound, and how you played them. Also love the ride cymbal sound. Is it the prototype you discussed on your RD dvd?

Congratulations and thanks!

Gustavo
Old 02-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gavin,
My old drumming pal Elliott Henshaw tells me you're doing the Buddy Rich 25th Memorial concert, along with Dave Weckl & Gregg Bisonnette. Do you know what tunes you're going to play - do you get to pick them? Not sure that I can make it, but hoping it will be recorded?!

Loving the O5Ric albums + the Rhythmic Designs book/dvd I got in Cleveland last summer. It's an amazing piece of work! All the best.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:32 AM

Hi,
I'm an old drummer (60+) and grew up listening to greats such as Cobham, Bruford, Gadd, Bozzio. I don't listen to much music anymore at all, it all seems to sound the same for some reason. In the past 2 years, people have bought me 3 CDs, 2 of them were PT. I've been a fan of your drumming since I first heard you, around 2006. You are one of the very few drummers that I feel are pushing the drumming envelope, if you will, raw talent combined with the need to explore your own abilities.
My question,,when are you going to take the next step? You hint at melodic play, but avoid things like harmonic playing on the set, scale usage, melodic playing with the bass..
You are amazing, with great skill. It seems like this would be the direction to go next.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 PM

Hi I've got a question about you touring. There has been an announcement on PT site of Steven's Grace for Drowning tour second leg. But - for some reason - it states in a tour section of PT site as "Steven Wilson and Band - Grace for Drowning Tour". Is it gonna be you and rest of PT guys playing Steve's stuff or is it announced there for no reason and it's just Steven and his guys?

Dying to see you play, keep it up :).

By the way, why is askgavinharrison.com down ;(?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meksyk View Post
Hi I've got a question about you touring. There has been an announcement on PT site of Steven's Grace for Drowning tour second leg. But - for some reason - it states in a tour section of PT site as "Steven Wilson and Band - Grace for Drowning Tour". Is it gonna be you and rest of PT guys playing Steve's stuff or is it announced there for no reason and it's just Steven and his guys?

Dying to see you play, keep it up :).

By the way, why is askgavinharrison.com down ;(?
Hm, You've right it's down. I'll contact the author. Thanks for noticing.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:17 PM

Hi Gavin!

I'm currently in the market for a new double kick pedal, Ive tried and I really like the Tama Speedcobra. Its a great pedal for the price. But my question is what made you make the switch from Axis to Tama, what impressed you the most about the Tama, and what other pedals were you considering to use on your main set-up?

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to seeing you with PT soon.

Greg.

Twitter.com/GregDCDrums
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Gus

Excellent your new cd with Ric. I love the tom sound, and how you played them. Also love the ride cymbal sound. Is it the prototype you discussed on your RD dvd?

thanks - I used a few different rides on the album - mainly a 21" Constantinople Big Band ride and a 22" Crash Of Doom prototype (as a ride).

Hi richkenyon

My old drumming pal Elliott Henshaw tells me you're doing the Buddy Rich 25th Memorial concert, along with Dave Weckl & Gregg Bisonnette. Do you know what tunes you're going to play - do you get to pick them? Not sure that I can make it, but hoping it will be recorded?!

Yes I will be doing that show. I did get to pick the tunes - and probably it's best if I don't announce them for anyone who is coming to the show. There is a rumour of it getting filmed but we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Hi jimtyler

My question,,when are you going to take the next step? You hint at melodic play, but avoid things like harmonic playing on the set, scale usage, melodic playing with the bass..

I don't really want to get into tuning the drums for the key of the song - that would be difficult and pretty limiting. I am currently practising on my new marimba. Now there's a challenge!!

Hi Meksyk

I've got a question about you touring. There has been an announcement on PT site of Steven's Grace for Drowning tour second leg. But - for some reason - it states in a tour section of PT site as "Steven Wilson and Band - Grace for Drowning Tour". Is it gonna be you and rest of PT guys playing Steve's stuff or is it announced there for no reason and it's just Steven and his guys?

No - it's just Steve and his band - touring the next leg of his "Grace For Drowning" solo project.

Hi IceMonster

I'm currently in the market for a new double kick pedal, Ive tried and I really like the Tama Speedcobra. Its a great pedal for the price. But my question is what made you make the switch from Axis to Tama, what impressed you the most about the Tama, and what other pedals were you considering to use on your main set-up?

I happily played the Axis Longboards for 9 years and they are great pedals. Tama sent me the new SpeedCobras to try and I really liked them. I wasn't looking to change nor did I try any other pedals. I found the SpeedCobras to have more power - so I felt like I was only using half the energy to make the same volume - and it's always better to have some energy and power in reserve. I can't play any faster on these than I could on the Axis pedals but I like the feel of the Tamas a lot.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 PM

People,

http://askgavinharrison.com/ is fixed now!

Enjoy! (Thanks to Richard!).

Very soon I'll add some more question/answers! ;)

Groovy hugs to all!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:31 PM

Hi Gavin,

I've got a couple questions about the new signature sticks from vic firth.

1: Why Blue grip? not red or any other color?

2: How do they feel compared to the Rock model? (I play that model for heavier stuff and pad use) I mean, do they have more bounce? ect? I'd like to know becouse we don't have any in stores near me. So maybe i'll order them.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Thanks to Richard Holland and Vladimir for keeping this going and updated

http://askgavinharrison.com/

Hi Roger//

I've got a couple questions about the new signature sticks from vic firth.
1: Why Blue grip? not red or any other color?

I noticed that Blue had not been used before whereas there's a lot of Vic Firth's sticks already out there with the red grip.

2: How do they feel compared to the Rock model? (I play that model for heavier stuff and pad use) I mean, do they have more bounce? ect?

I played the "Rock" model for a few years and (in my opinion) my signature stick is better balanced (for me anyway). You'd need to play them side by side to really feel the differences.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-18-2012, 08:54 PM

Dear Gavin,

hope you're fine. Heard the new OSI album's stream and it's super, looking forward to it.

I'm here for an advice of yours really. I've got a little problem with developing my single bass pedal abilities. I do have a Sonor kit and the pedal was included with the kit. It is this one I have - http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/s...artikelid=4569. The problem I've got is that I cannot quite normally learn and get comfortable playing bass drum fast and accurate. I've also got a problem with tuning the head. I know that you have a large and heavy pillow inside your bass drum. Have you always had pillows inside your bass drums? Have you had them when you were playing single bass pedal in the old days? I do also have a semi heavy pillow in my bass drum and it feels good, as you said in the PASIC clinic that it feels that you are playing on a quite hard surface. My biggest problem is that I cannot accurately perform multiple strokes on my bass drum and I don't know what is the main problem (of course it can that I've just played not much because I've been playing on a drumset for less than 2 years). Is it because it is hard to do that because the head is hard because of the pillow and the pedal do not get enough rebound from the head? Or is it something in the settings of the pedal. Did you have any experience with these cheap entry-level Sonor pedals? Do you think I should consider switching do better and more professional pedals? In your opinion, how do think that the quality and level of a pedal can effect on drummer's abilities to play fast, solid and accurate? Could you tell me please how tight do you tighten the spring tension on your pedals? Could you tell me how low or how high do you raise your throne? How long did it take you to become very experienced in getting the best feeling on the foot when hitting the bass drum? Because it is not just about getting the right sound but also about getting a good feeling right?

I am very grateful for your support to young and starting drummers like me. Thank you Gavin and I wish you all the best.

PS.: sorry for so many questions.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:11 PM

Gavin,

Do you still use Safe-hoops (S-hoops) on your toms? If you do, or when you did, where did you find the 10" 5-hole version? Do you know where I could get a set for my 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 Delites?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 PM

Gavin,

Do you know of any plans to release a 'live recording' from one of the Incident shows sometime this year?

Thank you for reading
Old 02-20-2012, 06:31 AM

Hey Gavin,

I remember a while back (at least a year ago) there was a website with a series of interviews with you. It was just a list of audio samples (probably about 20-30) with interviews with you and what sounded like the same guy on all of them. I might just be crazy, but do you remember what I'm talking about? If so, do you remember the website?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

Hi Gavin!

I know you're using the MD421 mics on your toms right?
I bought to MD421 (old version) on ebay and they sound great and my floortoms.
But I have the problem that they pick up a lot cymbals (ride, crash and china) which are placed above them.
Do you have any tips how to reduce that?
Same problem with the i5 on the snaredrum.. Picks a lot Crash and Toms..

Do you have those problems too??

Thanks in Advance
David
Old 02-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalma View Post
Hi Gavin!

But I have the problem that they pick up a lot cymbals (ride, crash and china) which are placed above them.
Do you have any tips how to reduce that?
Same problem with the i5 on the snaredrum.. Picks a lot Crash and Toms..

Thanks in Advance
David
1/ downwards angle placement towards the centre of the head
2/ exchange for hypercardoid mic's
3/ gaffer tape (wonderful stuff:))
4/ lift cymbals

BTW, very obviously, I'm not Gavin ;)
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 AM

Hi Gavin.

That's my first time in this Forum. My name is Roberto, am from Mexico, I realy hope you are doing fine. Am a drummer, and i have to say that you are the most influence drummer in my carrier. I really admire and respect your music and carrier. i have a lot of questions to you, but the most important question right now, is.. what about you little custom bells, up of your hi-hats. That's are a custom bells, i know but, that bells was made by your self? if it is like this, what kind of cymbals you cut to get this sound in the custom bells?

Thanks so much for your time.

Greetings.

Last edited by J.Rob.Charles; 02-21-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Hi J.Rob.Charles,

Check this out: http://www.askgavinharrison.com/arti...ur-left-bells-

Alex P.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi scottishhaggis

I've got a little problem with developing my single bass pedal abilities. I do have a Sonor kit and the pedal was included with the kit. It is this one I have - http://www.sonor.com/pbas/Sonor_FE/s...artikelid=4569. The problem I've got is that I cannot quite normally learn and get comfortable playing bass drum fast and accurate.

playing accurate bass drum patterns takes a really long time - I wouldn't worry about playing fast.

I've also got a problem with tuning the head. I know that you have a large and heavy pillow inside your bass drum. Have you always had pillows inside your bass drums? Have you had them when you were playing single bass pedal in the old days?

yes

Is it because it is hard to do that because the head is hard because of the pillow and the pedal do not get enough rebound from the head?

there's very little rebound from my bass drum head.

Or is it something in the settings of the pedal. Did you have any experience with these cheap entry-level Sonor pedals? Do you think I should consider switching do better and more professional pedals? In your opinion, how do think that the quality and level of a pedal can effect on drummer's abilities to play fast, solid and accurate?

I know those pedals but I haven't played them much. If you've been playing less than two years you just need to practise on slow accuracy. Don't get freaked out by kids on YouTube who can play at ridiculous speeds. Good pedals can make a difference but nowhere near the amount of difference that having good technique can have.

Could you tell me please how tight do you tighten the spring tension on your pedals? Could you tell me how low or how high do you raise your throne? How long did it take you to become very experienced in getting the best feeling on the foot when hitting the bass drum? Because it is not just about getting the right sound but also about getting a good feeling right?

It sounds like you're frustrated with your lack of ability on the pedal. All the settings don't really matter. Sit at a height that makes you feel comfortable - and set the pedal to a 'medium' setting (basically not too loose or too tight) and do lots of practise with it. The development of your feet take ten times longer than the development of your hands.

Hi formula428

Do you still use Safe-hoops (S-hoops) on your toms? If you do, or when you did, where did you find the 10" 5-hole version? Do you know where I could get a set for my 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 Delites?

yes I have them on my toms and years ago they used to make a 5 hole 10" hoop. I can see there's a few hoop variations they don't offer. 8 hole 12" for snare drums would be nice too. I don't know where you can find them now.

Hi gibeachhead

Do you know of any plans to release a 'live recording' from one of the Incident shows sometime this year?

we do have some recordings of some live shows from that tour and we are thinking about it.

Hi pixelbreaker

I remember a while back (at least a year ago) there was a website with a series of interviews with you. It was just a list of audio samples (probably about 20-30) with interviews with you and what sounded like the same guy on all of them. I might just be crazy, but do you remember what I'm talking about? If so, do you remember the website?

I don't remember ever seeing that. There's some interviews on the Vic Firth site - but I don't think that's what you mean.

Hi Kalma

But I have the problem that they pick up a lot cymbals (ride, crash and china) which are placed above them. Do you have any tips how to reduce that? Same problem with the i5 on the snaredrum.. Picks a lot Crash and Toms..

yes I've been using MD421 on my toms. I'm not aware of them picking up excessive amounts of spill. Of course in isolation I can hear all the other drums and cymbals from every mic - but that's to be expected. If I put a lot of high frequency EQ on any of the mics then it will start to attract the cymbals.

cheers
Gavin
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
yes I've been using MD421 on my toms. I'm not aware of them picking up excessive amounts of spill. Of course in isolation I can hear all the other drums and cymbals from every mic - but that's to be expected. If I put a lot of high frequency EQ on any of the mics then it will start to attract the cymbals.
Thanks for your answer!

Here's a little snippet from my 14" Drum Mic. No EQ or something:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17340676/tom14.mp3

Is this the amount you also have on those mics when you haven't edited anything?

And btw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlq4...eature=related
On 0:48 - what's that above your 16" tom mic?

Thanks!
David

Last edited by David Floegel; 02-27-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
(...) The development of your feet take ten times longer than the development of your hands.
Gavin, this is soooo reassuring! Ok then, back to practice.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Hi Gavin,

After looking at the equipment on your website, I wondered why your 14 x 5 snare is made out of birch, and the 12 x 5 out of maple. Is there a big difference between these wood types? If so, could you describe the difference in sound?
I don't have the opportunity to compare both, since my local drum shop only offers maple snare drums.
I am also curious about your thought on beech shells.

Thanks!

Jeffrey
Old 02-24-2012, 06:33 AM

Hey Gavin! It's been quite a while since I've been on here. But then I guess that means that I haven't had many drum related problems as of late, or just overall any questions. But that all stops today. Just a couple questions I'd like to ask:

1) I recently burst into a craving for listening to The Incident many, many times. In that time I finally thought about asking the question that first came to me me when I first heard the album. That question being, is there a definite time signature for Occam's Razor/ Degree Zero of Liberty. I mean, there has to be some way that you and the band know when to play, and I've given up on trying to figure it out myself.

2) Do you think that PT will still continue to play "The Incident" as just as single song on your next tour? I mean, it could be odd in that regard, as it was meant to be heard as one 54 minute long piece (or however long it is), but then you have songs that can stand alone such as "Time Flies" and "The Blind House." I think it could be done, though, as it's really a good song.

3) Unrelated to The Incident, do you happen to know why PT never released XMII as a download, whereas the original XM was? I've listened to it on Grooveshark and a few songs from it on youtube, and I gotta say it'd be cool to have. So do you know why?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Cheers --Peter
Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 AM

Being a fan of Gavin's I naturally had to get a pair of his signature sticks to simply try. I knew they wouldn't replace my normal stick. I normally play with X5Bs and I'm quite small and skinny to begin with; but I couldn't resist.

They are massive, so when Gavin says that, believe him! My favorite thing about them are the blended taper/tip, I really wish it was an option for all sticks, it is top notch.

As Gavin said it's most similar to a ROCK model stick.

Great stick Gavin, very impressive design!
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Hi formula428

yes I have them on my toms and years ago they used to make a 5 hole 10" hoop. I can see there's a few hoop variations they don't offer. 8 hole 12" for snare drums would be nice too. I don't know where you can find them now.
Just a heads-up,

I talked to the manufacturer (Big Bang Distribution in CA, US) and they are considering making a 12" 8-hole version for snares. They are waiting to see how much interest there would be. I would like one too for my GH Sonor 12x5 (which sounds absolutely amazing).

I spoke with bob@bigbangdist.com
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 PM

Hi Gavin,

I was watching your DVD "Rhythmic Visions". I believe that you was playing in a Sonor Delite drumset. What‘s the difference in sound in the studio recording betwen the delites and your SQ2 Euro set?

Thank you