16th Note Accent Source for Latin

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi guys,

I've got a recording session next Friday and I'm just having a refresher on some latin soloing over a vamp. Does anyone have any suggestions for 16th note reading/accent sources with a particularly latin slant? Lots of syncopation, e's and a's, 3s and 5s, that sort of thing.

I have a lot of the common ones, like Advanced Concepts, Chaffee, and Syncopation, but wondering which ones you'd turn to for more latin esque phrases.

Cheers

If you must have it written as 16th notes, maybe look at the reading in New Breed? I just use Syncopation for that-- if you play the hard part of the book in 2/2, you get the same result. I think knowing the context is more important than is the particular rhythm, as far as playing correct-sounding stuff is concerned. Like, if you're playing clave, every rhythm you play is either going to line up with clave, and be an embellishment on it, or it's going to lock with clave, and be the opposite of it, which also works.

There's an easy linear solo method I wrote which would work fine, if you play it with the right sound and energy. The only example has both hands played in unison, but you can also alternate, at flams or ruffs, or whatever. If you root around in my Reed methods there are probably some other things that might make a difference for a session a week away.

Keep the vamp going and leave a lot of space , the way a timbalero would.
Listen to some Tito puente solo and try to do domething similar. Can't go wrong with that !!!

Back