Saw a UFO at band practice tonight!

I believe that you saw a UFO Andy,alien or human made,that's hard to say.

What bothers me most about UFO sightings is the fact that 'higher instances' are constantly lying and covering information about this matter.They are always making 'scientific' explanations for what a person or group of people saw flying in the sky.
Call me stupid bit I didn't know there are super-fast weather baloons flying around at 10 times the speed of sound!?
Wait,I get it - The Superman is back!

C'mon...

P.S. To alien visitors:
Show yourselves or beat it!

I believe that you saw a UFO Andy,alien or human made,that's hard to say.

What bothers me most about UFO sightings is the fact that 'higher instances' are constantly lying and covering information about this matter.They are always making 'scientific' explanations for what a person or group of people saw flying in the sky.
Call me stupid bit I didn't know there are super-fast weather baloons flying around at 10 times the speed of sound!?
Wait,I get it - The Superman is back!

C'mon...

P.S. To alien visitors:
Show yourselves or beat it!

We have no evidence that life has ever existed anywhere in the universe beyond earth. Some people use that starting point to become very certain that advanced alien civilizations are on our planet and our government is part of a conspiracy to cover it all up. I don't get it.

What we know, we don't believe. What we don't know, we believe.

The rules of probability give a real probability of there being life on other Worlds other than our own. The sheer size of the Universe and the number of stars similar to our own combined with what appears to be a high incidence of exoplanets around most stars demonstrates a statistical likelihood of life. That even assumes that all life is like the life on Earth (carbon-based, etc; although carbon-based life is likely the most prevalent due to the chemistry of carbon).

Combine that with the latest findings on Mars - evidence of water flowing and organic chemistry in the rock and evidence of water on mars, as well as theories on Europa, I think there's a real chance that not only is there life on Earth but there was life in other parts of the Solar System at one point or another.

Interstellar distances are the real killer though when it comes to UFO arguments. As for intelligent life? Well, I'll quote Monty Python:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

What we know, we don't believe. What we don't know, we believe.

This is pretty profound, DMC. I don't know if you authored it or not, but it's quote-worth/internet forum signature-worthy. It speaks to the anti-science contingent that, sadly, seems to be almost a majority in the U.S. these days.

2001 has nothing to do with anything other than being a great film.

I edited my original post. Trust me, physicists have imagination. I've met a few. Same with mathematicians - my brother is one.

It's actually more than that.I read an interview with Kubrick years ago,when he had finally gotten tired of people asking what the film was all about.

He spoke about space exploration and type one civiliazations.

He said..."what's the first thing we started doing in the exploration of space,and what do we continue to do to this day"?

We send probes,and we would send robots and autonomous machines to different planets,before sending people.That's what the monoliths were.Machines that could self replicate,sent to educate,contact,evaluate,build and possibley seed life on other worlds.

They were sent to this solar system by a type one civilisation,infinitly more abvanced than ourselves.

Pretty cool stuff.If ET were going to contact us,they would send machines first,which they may or may not,have already done.Baby steps.Think about the panic that would ensue if a space craft landed in the middle of Hyde Park or the White House Lawn.

Steve B

This is pretty profound, DMC. I don't know if you authored it or not, but it's quote-worth/internet forum signature-worthy. It speaks to the anti-science contingent that, sadly, seems to be almost a majority in the U.S. these days.

Science challenges the fundemental status quo.It dispells fiction and myth with truth.

People don't want to hear that something that they believe in dosen't exist, most if not all miracles,have a scientific explaination and man has been here a lot longer than 6-10 thousand years.

They love their cell phones and widescreen TVs,but try to tell them it's science and not something supernatural and miraculous.

Steve B

We have no evidence that life has ever existed anywhere in the universe beyond earth. Some people use that starting point to become very certain that advanced alien civilizations are on our planet and our government is part of a conspiracy to cover it all up. I don't get it.

A lack of evidence doesn't mean there is/was no other forms of life out there,IMO.
Conspiracy? I don't buy it,if speaking of what's generally accepted as conspiracy.
But I do believe someone of higher public influence (i.e. group of renown scientists) could step out with REAL evidence (not blury photos of something-hovering-somewhere) FOR and AGAINST UFOs/ETs on Earth.

That's all I'm humbly asking for.

Unlikely to happen in our lifetime,though.Daugh!

It's actually more than that.I read an interview with Kubrick years ago,when he had finally gotten tired of people asking what the film was all about.

He spoke about space exploration and type one civiliazations.

He said..."what's the first thing we started doing in the exploration of space,and what do we continue to do to this day"?

We send probes,and we would send robots and autonomous machines to different planets,before sending people.That's what the monoliths were.Machines that could self replicate,sent to educate,contact,evaluate,build and possibley seed life on other worlds.

They were sent to this solar system by a type one civilisation,infinitly more abvanced than ourselves.

Pretty cool stuff.If ET were going to contact us,they would send machines first,which they may or may not,have already done.Baby steps.Think about the panic that would ensue if a space craft landed in the middle of Hyde Park or the White House Lawn.

Steve B

Having read all of the books in the '2001' series (there are four), yes - the supposition is that the monoliths are indeed just the machines left from a species that has transcended known space and time. That's what the 'stargate' is in the first film when David Bowman transcends our known time and space to become one of the higher beings.

I used to hugely into the very hard Sci-Fi. I always liked 'Rendezvous With Rama' for the same reasons.

There have been so many famous mass observations, (Mexico City in the 60's) documented abduction stories, (Betty and Barney Hill) and statements of eyewitness accounts made by credible pilots, plus Duncan's rule of probabilities, that I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that there is other intelligent life. Whether it's here or not? I think so, after all, there are mass sightings.

There have been so many famous mass observations, (Mexico City in the 60's) documented abduction stories, (Betty and Barney Hill) and statements of eyewitness accounts made by credible pilots, plus Duncan's rule of probabilities, that I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that there is other intelligent life. Whether it's here or not? I think so, after all, there are mass sightings.

Many mass sightings of religious deities too Larry, but that's not enough to convince me on that front either.

The only evidence that I find compelling when it comes to intelligent extraterrestrial life is the so-called 'Wow!' signal. Essentially, an Earth-based radio telescope detected an enormous, unexplained radio signal from space in 1977. It's never been well-explained or even relocated (which was made trickier by the configuration of the receiver) but wasn't an atmospheric phenomenon and I'm of the view that it's the best evidence we have of extra-terrestrial intelligent life.

That isn't, though, enough to make any kind of statement of verification or anything other than an unexplained incident - albeit one that is consistent with some of the current theories of interstellar communication. Combine a few dozen of those incidents with a regularly-occurring pattern and there might be more to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

Larry, I don't trust mass sightings. We all have the same sensory equipment and capable of being fooled by our senses in the same way. Funny thing that the first thing people assume is aliens - that should be only considered after checking out possible earthly causes.

It's not only tyranny of distance but tyranny of time. There are just so many places and times that aliens could be living in that are utterly inaccessible to us - gazillions of miles or billions of years.

Martin, I'm also a fan of "What we know, we don't believe. What we don't know, we believe".

Thing is, science becomes counter intuitive at very large and small scales - people tend to find it unbelievable because physical laws that affect things of our size are different at the scale of the very large and very small.

For instance http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/science/something-from-nothing-is-a-quantum-possibility

Bizarre as the info in the article is, it's less wild than the usual religious belief systems ... but the big man in the sky idea seems familiar to us because we have been told about it since childhood. By comparison, quantum mechanics is alien ...

The Mexico mass sighting was also caught on film. IDK, that's pretty compelling evidence to me. There's no doubt in my mind, but I am not out to debate the point or try to change minds.

Congrats on your UFO Sighting !!!

i have never seen one, but i know one who has.

What's the consensus on Roswell?

The Mexico mass sighting was also caught on film. IDK, that's pretty compelling evidence to me. There's no doubt in my mind, but I am not out to debate the point or try to change minds.

Lazza, film is just compelling evidence that something we don't know about happened.

Yet we know for sure that the military and spy agencies all over the world are working on secret stuff. We also know for sure that it is their strategic advantage not to reveal any part they may have had with UFO sightings.

We also know that various military and civilian agencies conduct experiments - and that these experiments don't tend to be well publicised. Not like football or political polls.

We also know that intelligent life would need to be capable of time travel to reach us, something we're not sure is physically possible at this stage - let alone possible with time travellers actually arriving in one piece.

But ... there is a terribly small chance that some highly evolved critters from another world could master time travel and come to Earth. It's possible.

However, if I was betting my house I'd put my money on all UFOs being man made or natural phenomena. Pretty boring rationalist outlook, I know :)

I tend to think that the possibilities of other intelligent life being real far outweigh the possibilities that it's just us, no one else, we're it. The numbers are so stacked against that. Technology is moving so fast, we should crack the space/time travel puzzle within, and I'm being generous, 150 years, which is nothing in evolutionary terms. Surely there are life forms that are further along in their evolution than we are, well that's what I go with.

So Grea, how about when we die, what then? Is that it, or do we live on?

I tend to think that the possibilities of other intelligent life being real far outweigh the possibilities that it's just us, no one else, we're it. The numbers are so stacked against that. Technology is moving so fast, we should crack the space/time travel puzzle within, and I'm being generous, 150 years, which is nothing in evolutionary terms. Surely there are life forms that are further along in their evolution than we are, well that's what I go with.

So Grea, how about when we die, what then? Is that it, or do we live on?

Larry. We agree on something based on science! Hooray!

I'll get the cake and party hats. You get the booze and the dancing girls. No rubbish lager.

With regard to alien life forms visiting Earth? I'm not going to rule it out but I still don't agree that mass-sightings are necessarily evidence unless they're backed up with hard data.

Again, Dunc my worthy debate rival, what's your thoughts on Roswell? One one hand, because it was 1947, I tend to give it more weight. Things seemed more honest, more innocent then. It is well documented. I have a hard time believing that aliens smart enough to make it here are as inept at driving as we are lol. But there are stories of materials strewn about that had properties unlike any seen on earth. IDK, there's SO much evidence, that even if only one is true, just one, well that proves it as far as I'm concerned. In 1947, what benefit to the authorities would a fabricated alien crash have? I mean other than a million dollar a year alien trinket business?

Back