Problems with electronic drums

hi,
I recently joined this forum, last week, and have been enjoying reading threads and looking around here. I have been having a couple of issues with my kit that I have not been able to resolve though. I'll be playing along and the drums just lock up, no sound whatsoever, the module remains on, lit up and everything, just no sound, through amp or headphones either. I hooked up a midi keyboard this morning and it did not cut out on me after around 45 min of play; however, that doesn't mean it wouldn't ?? I also have problems with bass drum hitting multiple times and rattling alot, even after making multiple adjustments on pedal and drum head, I just can't get it set right, I always get more hits than I play. I have been working with BOTH companies with no luck. I spoke with Hart Dynamics this morning and he believes the pads are not the problem, but the Alesis DM5 IS the problem. However, it is difficult for me to believe that TWO of these things are bad? I had one that I got that was a "scratch and dent" model that I sent back for locking up on me, now this one is doing the same thing? seems fishy to me, but this guy swears it is not the pads. He says it must be the module. I don't have any experience with electronic drums as these are my very first ! so, I don't know.
I had acoustic drums since I was 14, and I'm 43 now..the same set in fact, so??
He said all of the drums would NEVER go out at the same time, it just would not happen.
I have contacted Alesis but they have not replied.
However, I did read in Harmony Central forum that the power supply for the DM5 is not quite powerful enough for the module or something and that it requires you NOT plug it straight into the wall, but to use a power strip, like a computer, or something..Has anyone heard this before, or know anything regarding the DM5 that may help?
It cuts out on me, I have to turn it off then back on. This makes it useless for live playing.
The Hart Dynamic rep recommended getting a Roland . (okay, but??)
I'd rather fix this if possible and spend the extra money on upgrading the pads or getting cases for them to protect them, etc..
Thanks for any help provided at all..
Melinda

I've got a Roland TD-6 kit that is maybe 5 years or more. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times triggers start acting up. At college here, there is a TD-12 (some $4000 kit) but it has triggering problems all the time. The main idea I think is that electronic stuff can and will screw up frequently and it's best to stay with acoustic drums if you can. I haven't heard about problems with Yamaha's electronic kits though. Overall, I think it's just that electronic drums have not gotten to the point of plug and play like keyboards or guitars. They still have plenty of issues, that's not even counting the massive limits they put on your playing, and I think all brands are affected. It's because of this that I would never use mine to play live. The real problem is that they are so fun to play on that we say can't say no to them

Seems no matter what you endorse, there will always be a voice, somewhere, that will say, "no don't use that....that's a piece of junk!" But observation, year after year, says stick with Roland and Yamaha. I have a Roland SPD-S, and it time after time performs flawlessly for me. I've heard a few cats talk "smack" about the units, but then I see them on stage, being used by some of the biggest acts there are. And there's gotta be a reason. I'd swap out the Alesis for a Roland or a Yamaha module.

It's funny because I think Yamaha has better sounds but Roland has better features and triggering and customization options. I've listened to demos of the new TD-20 with the expansion board and the DTXtreme III. The Roland seems more sensitive with rolls,drags, and such but the Yamaha sounded more like real drums but the cymbals on the Roland kit sounded more believable. The Yamaha ones also had the knobs on the pads that controlled the tuning and even the snares which the Roland kit requires you press several buttons to do so. For the money though, Yamaha seems more consistent and slightly cheaper.

Im right with you there, Harry. I love my SPD-S. Be wary of people who rip on products they dont know how to operate, particularly when it comes to the electronic side of things.

Melinda, hopefully I may be of some help here..

I'll be playing along and the drums just lock up, no sound whatsoever, the module remains on, lit up and everything, just no sound, through amp or headphones either.
When you hit the pads, is the trigger sensor on the display screen flashing? On the dm5 (IIRC) there is a little symbol that flashes when it senses a trigger.

I hooked up a midi keyboard this morning and it did not cut out on me after around 45 min of play; however, that doesn't mean it wouldn't ??
It would depend what the nature of the problem is. If the problem is to do with the trigger inputs (which you dont use when youre playing via MIDI) then it could explain things. However, as the assiatnt told you, for all the input triggers to go down at once is extremely unlikely.

I also have problems with bass drum hitting multiple times and rattling alot, even after making multiple adjustments on pedal and drum head, I just can't get it set right, I always get more hits than I play.
First off, make sure this isnt just you burying the beater into the pad. If you are certain that youre hitting is clean and that you are not the problem, find the 'vcurve' setting on the dm5. Its a setting for sensitivity, dependant on how hard you play. If you are a softer hitter, have it on 7 - the most sensitive. BUT, if you play hard, its quite possible that having the vcurve setting too high will result in double triggering. As a starting point, set it to '4', and see if the problem persists. There is also a function on the dm5 called 'X-talk'. Its kinda like a sesnsitivity threshold/gate feature, but really shouldnt need to be tweaked unless you have other musos cranking up around you.

I have been working with BOTH companies with no luck. I spoke with Hart Dynamics this morning and he believes the pads are not the problem, but the Alesis DM5 IS the problem.
The pads could be the problem, but its unlikely, as they simply transmit a signal to the dm5. If they are faulty, you simply get no signal. However, if one of the channels on the dm5 is malfunctioning, its processing could cause the system to hang or lock-up altogether.

it is difficult for me to believe that TWO of these things are bad? I had one that I got that was a "scratch and dent" model that I sent back for locking up on me, now this one is doing the same thing? seems fishy to me, but this guy swears it is not the pads. He says it must be the module.
Have you tried a factory reset? Failing that, are you certain the power supply is the one recommended for the dm5? Low power input generally results in distorted or lower volume signal but generally doesnt cause the unit to lock-up. I know from experience that many cowboys like to get these units cheap online then slap a local power supply with them when they land.

However, I did read in Harmony Central forum that the power supply for the DM5 is not quite powerful enough for the module or something and that it requires you NOT plug it straight into the wall, but to use a power strip, like a computer, or something..Has anyone heard this before, or know anything regarding the DM5 that may help?
Havent heard that, and I certainly never had issues with mine when I owned it. Had it been a power supply problem, I would suspect that the dm5 should also lock-up using MIDI connection.

The Hart Dynamic rep recommended getting a Roland . (okay, but??)
Of course he did - Their products are all modelled around Roland modules. Itll give him the option to sell you his gear afterwards.

I'd rather fix this if possible and spend the extra money on upgrading the pads or getting cases for them to protect them, etc..
Thanks for any help provided at all..
Take it to a repair agent, its a small issue thatd be worth fixing. The Alesis dm5 is a great unit and generally very robust. I used mine for 8 years live and at home, and after all the knocks it still kept kickin!

thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay in my response, I had to go out of town and then I got sick. I appreciate everyones response.
I began playing with a band again last week. I played on their acoustic drums. This is the 1st time I have played on acoustic drums since my nerve damage around 5 years ago. I did okay, so that took a load off my mind. It was fun! When I went to PA to see my doctor he actually got some response (you know the reflex test they do when they whack your leg with the mallet?) out of my R leg this time! the first time in literally years..I think this is due to my work on the drums the past year or so. I have been really working to retrain the nerves and brain connections. He said it could work and I think it is, besides the other treatments he's been doing too. Others have said that those nerves could "never" regenerate..okay!
It's just exciting that I'm able to play at all, when a couple years ago, I could not even play a steady beat on the bass drum at all, due to my nerves in the R leg, they could not respond in time. Now, I'm back in a band practicing for over 2 hours a week with only one break! I sure didn't see that one coming..after all just 2 years ago I was walking with a walker and using a scooter for things like the mall and such..
I guess I have a lot to be thankful for, even if I do get frustrated many times, having to relearn things!
thanks again!
Melinda

Back