Play along suggestions please!

Markjitsu

Hi guys, first post - I'm basically looking for suggestions for jazz and fusion stuff, which would be fun for me to play along with on my v-drum kit.
The kinda stuff I'm looking for/ already play along with is: weckl jazzy/latin style pieces from transition, synergy - i like all the buddy rich memorial pieces that weckl, Gadd, chambers, bissonette, coliuta, belson did - stuff like that, but I can't just play with a buddy rich cd, as I find the old sound quality is hard to play with.
I'm looking for newer/cleaner sounding recordings, which you think I'll like playing to based on the stuff I said I like above.

Thankyou very much in advance, hope you guys have some good suggestions for me!

And let the flaming start in three...two...one...

literally didn't even want to say anything

Thanks guys, I've had 2 completely useless responses so far, I look forward to reading something a bit more constructive soon...

I have lots of old(ish) jazz records in CD format that do not lack in sound quality.

John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Buddy Rich
Max Roach
Donald Byrd
Duke Pearson
lee Morgan
Horace Silver

All in great sound quality on a CD

Try the Chick Corea Elektric Band, available on CD's, featuring Dave Weckl on drums, it's very modern though. :))

I have lots of old(ish) jazz records in CD format that do not lack in sound quality.

John Coltrane
Miles Davis
Buddy Rich
Max Roach
Donald Byrd
Duke Pearson
lee Morgan
Horace Silver

All in great sound quality on a CD
Thanks, could you suggest some particular albums I might like playing to?

Thanks, could you suggest some particular albums I might like playing to?

Swingin New Big Band - Buddy Rich
The Right Touch - Duke Pearson
My Favorite Things - John Coltrane
Head Hunters - Herby Hancock (because why not add this)
Off to the Races - Donald Byrd
You Gotta take a Little Love - Horace Silver
The Complete Birth of the Cool/Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Max Roach Featuring the Legendary Hassan - Max Roach

While you are at it buy Etta James' the Chess Box Set.

The Drumset Soloist by Steve Houghton (many vamps and charts to play along to, in various jazz/fusion/latin styles). No "real" songs here, but the styles are done well.

For extremely challenging play along big band material, there's the Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band book/CD. Be ready to read...

Thanks mate - I must confess I'm terrible at reading music, not even read snare stuff for about 10 years! But I'll try check that out too
Thanks again!

Back