Some people have no clue!!!

yesdog

Silver Member
This a rant rather than a topic. I have been subbing for this band that plays seventys covers I recently got the first seat in the band because the other drummer quit. one of the guitar players is a good freind of mine and very talented. So are the rest of the band except the bass player he is awful. and the leader (the guy with the gigs and the practice space and P.A ect.) He has been playing for about three years were the rest of us have 20 plus years playing music. I get a phone call from the leader yelling at like I am one of his employees. He was saying I keep playing the songs wrong they dont sound like the record example there is an intro we do and I play an eight count fill I played the same figure and went across the toms and snare to ad some flavor and he and the bass player said don't do that it throws the bass player off and him he daid just playit on the snare so we know when to come in. If you can't count to eight you have no buisiness playing in a band with experianced musians after that comment at rehersal we did the inro part again I was so pissed I played my eight count intro bozzio style packed up my stick bag and left.
He told me I am unprdictable none of the other guys except the bass player ever complained about my playing. Music is art its about groove feeling the moment making people dance and have a good time. Not sounding like the record. I looked up china grove on you tube to see live performances from the doobies from differnent years yes you know what song there playing but every performance the song had a different tempo or different drum fills they never played the song the same way once I looked a bunch of othet bands that we play songs from same result. Any way I am In a new band with guys I played with for years they are real musicians not wannabe's. I felt insulted being told how to play music by somone who does not have any talent feel or a clue how to be a musician. He does not have IT!!! you know what I mean. Thats my rant .

Leaving the challenge of playing a song that's not your own exactly note-for-note aside, when I play covers, it's mostly for untrained ears who just wanna have fun, I prefer to groove if I'm not technically capable or if don't get enough time to learn it, also, when I practice I sometimes like to play along with my I-pod, I love dream theater for example, and I respect mr Portnoy a lot, but when I play along to their songs it's me playing, not Portnoy (kind of off topic but still :p) so I like to do my own stuff, I also apply that to live cover playing.

Good Luck in your future playing mate!

Ah, weak bass players with their own room. It sounds familiar.

Funny thing. Most bassists I've played with have been unassuming and relaxed people. The exceptions are those who see themselves as band leaders, in which case they have struck me as somewhat crazed. My singer had a painful bassist/bandleader experience in his first serious band too.

Doggie, it sounds like you need a new band. It can seem hard to lose the convenience of a private rehearsal space with drums always set up but, speaking from experience, the pain of paying and booking commercial spaces is far less than dealing with neurotics IMO. Life's too short for that kind of blah.

Maybe see if you can get the guitarist and others to form a breakaway band?

Hmm Dog, I can relate to what you say. But....with all due respect....and I know you're very accomplished at the drums because I've seen your videos, it won't serve you well if you can't absorb critisism. I realize that your critics are not on your level, however that doesn't mean that you should throw it in their face.

I actually don't mind when my playing gets called out. At least they care enough about my part to comment. I just give them what they want, no big deal. Or if I really disagree, I'll ask for a vote from the other guys. If I'm outvoted, then maybe I'm the one with the bad idea. It's no crime, and not worth getting upset over.

Sometimes playing another persons vision forces you to play things that you wouldn't think of on your own. A lot of times this turns out to be a good thing. High horses are not very well tolerated in any relationship.

I hope this is taken in the positive spirit that it was intended, because I have much respect for your playing.

Hmm Dog, I can relate to what you say. But....with all due respect....and I know you're very accomplished at the drums because I've seen your videos, it won't serve you well if you can't absorb critisism. I realize that your critics are not on your level, however that doesn't mean that you should throw it in their face.

I actually don't mind when my playing gets called out. At least they care enough about my part to comment. I just give them what they want, no big deal. Or if I really disagree, I'll ask for a vote from the other guys. If I'm outvoted, then maybe I'm the one with the bad idea. It's no crime, and not worth getting upset over.

Sometimes playing another persons vision forces you to play things that you wouldn't think of on your own. A lot of times this turns out to be a good thing. High horses are not very well tolerated in any relationship.

I hope this is taken in the positive spirit that it was intended, because I have much respect for your playing.

I can handle comments on my playing just fine. My point was being yelled at like I was an employee of his. thats what really tweeked me. I am not getting payed. If he was paying my bills he could talk at me in what ever manner he wants. And its all one sided. Like I said I needed to vent. I don't care what you do or what level of talent you have, People need to have respect for each other and work things out and listen to each other

I'm in a tribute band, which is different then a cover band a bit but I can relate. It seems you should have all laid out the direction and purpose of the band before hand. The bassist wants to do the songs exactly how they were recorded, and you want to add your own flavor. These things need to be planned out or there will obviously be issues.

My tribute band is going for exact replication, and everyone knows that, so noone feels the need to improvise or whatever.

I think the main thing you had a problem with was him yelling at you, which anyone can understand. You don't have to put up with that, and I'm glad you didn't.

For future projects I would recommend discussing these types of things with your bandmates.

Yea, his yelling was out of line and uncalled for and disrespectful and rude.

I don't let people pull me down to that level. I would have put it back on him by calmly asking him why he was treating me soooo disrespectfully, and let him squirm trying to justify himself.

But I'm on your side man, people like that need a mirror held up to themselves.

Good to get that off your chest and the ignorant b&^%ard out of your life. It's bad enough taking that kind of attitude from someone with ability, but much worse when you know they're talking out of an alternative orrifice! Good for you doggy, & may his gentleman's vegetables turn into cubes & fester at the corners!

Completely understandable as to why you were / are mad. Anyone would be tweeked at getting yelled at like that and shown complete disrespect. I like what has been said so far: whenever he begins yelling, calmly tell him to stop disrespecting you. Do so in a very calm, soothing voice, no matter how mad you are. Then if he's still being arrogant, ignorant, or uncooperative, that is a good signal for you - he's showing his true colors. Leave the band and move on. Walk away from it knowing you are doing yourself a HUGE favor.

(Read my "Walk away from it" post and you'll understand where I'm coming from.)

Sounds like you've landed on your feet with the new band who appreciates your talents and respects you. Hang in there!

Life is way too short to have to deal with that kind of stuff. Just walk...
Beside you can't complain about what to allow. I read that on a church sign somewhere.

Last edited:
Yeah that sounds really annoying. I mean, constructive critisizm is fine as long as the person actually knows what they're talking about but if someone is just trying to just make up for their own inexperience is just really irritating and doesn't help anyone. It's like the old saying goes "kids in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

Back