Sound Cloud

If it's your recording or you hold the publishing, it shouldn't be a problem.

If it's not your song, why are you uploading it?

If you're doing a cover, you're performing copyright infringement. Upload something original and you shouldn't have a problem.

^ This.Performing copyrighted material requires payment of a performance fee.Nothing complicated about it.Sorry you didn't get the answer you were loking for,but MUSIC ISN"T FREE.The artist/s who wrote the song have to be compensated.That music belongs to them,and It's NOT public domain.

Steve B

Last edited:
If you're doing a cover, you're performing copyright infringement. Upload something original and you shouldn't have a problem.

I must sadly agree with this. Youtube is cracking down on the cover tunes, and IMO it's a of a blow to the art of music in general. A similar thing is happening with venue's in the area where I live. Venue's have to pay a fee if they host live music, regardless of whether it's all original or not, on the off chance that an artist "might" play a cover tune. It's making it difficult because playing cover tunes is a great way to introduce your band and your original music to a larger audience, but now fewer and fewer venue's (Youtube included) are allowing this type of activity to continue.

Big brother know's what's best.

-Kyle

I know this may seen like something new,but years ago,that was just the way business was done.ASCAP or who ever,collected fees from venues that had live music,and the artist who wrote the material,got paid.Thats what's suppose to happen.It's Federal law.

Things were so lax for so long,and almost everybody got away with NOT paying these fees.Now just about everyone that has to pony up, is screaming bloody murder.TOUGH.

This is how songwriters make their money.The internet has led millions of listeners into believing music is free.It's NOT free.Whom ever wrote that song,is entitled to compensation if you want to perform his material.It's the price of doing business,just like taxes,electric bills,employee salarys,rent...and on and on.

If you want to down load a song,go to I tunes or one of many internet music sites,pay your fee,and download whatever song you want to.

This is one of the reasons why a lot of venue owners want bands to play for free,or for some insultingly low fee,because they also believe music should be free,live or recorded.

Steve B

I know this may seen like something new,but years ago,that was just the way business was done.ASCAP or who ever,collected fees from venues that had live music,and the artist who wrote the material,got paid.Thats what's suppose to happen.It's Federal law.

Things were so lax for so long,and almost everybody got away with NOT paying these fees.Now just about everyone that has to pony up, is screaming bloody murder.TOUGH.

This is how songwriters make their money.The internet has led millions of listeners into believing music is free.It's NOT free.Whom ever wrote that song,is entitled to compensation if you want to perform his material.It's the price of doing business,just like taxes,electric bills,employee salarys,rent...and on and on.

If you want to down load a song,go to I tunes or one of many internet music sites,pay your fee,and download whatever song you want to.

This is one of the reasons why a lot of venue owners want bands to play for free,or for some insultingly low fee,because they also believe music should be free,live or recorded.

Steve B

I agree completely and I completely disagree with you at the same time lol. I'm a little conflicted on the matter to say the least. I suppose I see the debate from both sides, but you're right the law is the law. I personally abide by them, buying my music from iTunes, not illegally downloading music.

But I'll be honest, whenever this debate comes up, a little voice inside my head always ask the question "Is it right to charge money for art?" I have not been able to answer that question for myself, hence my inner conflict.

-Kyle

Best bet for a cover song would be to make a seperate soundcloud for cover songs (Assuming you have one for originals) And set the track to private so only people who you send the link to can listen to it.

I don't think you should have any problems that way.

I don't get this. There's so many covers out there it's not funny. Why would MK636 run into trouble when others don't?

I have the same issue. I can't get away with anything. I've even had them peg my band's cover versions (although usually that's worked out okay). Other people don't seem to have these restrictions. I always assumed it was because I was a loser, so it's great to find someone else like me lol

Earlier this year I uploaded a YouTube video for my sister's relatives interstate after she died - it had scans of photos of her when she was young that I didn't think they'd seen plus an Art Blakey track ... she was keen on bop and her widowed husband was a jazzrock guy but liked jazz too, so I figured that would be a nice tough.

Blocked. Other people are loading a band's official video clip and no one notices yet I use a snippet and got kicked around.

What am I doing wrong that others are doing right? I think this is where the OP is coming from.

Edit: I just had a thought. As they improve the software it could be a way of reducing the risk of plagiarism. Upload your original and if you get in trouble you know there's an issue :)

But I'll be honest, whenever this debate comes up, a little voice inside my head always ask the question "Is it right to charge money for art?" I have not been able to answer that question for myself, hence my inner conflict.

If you were an artist with songs for sale, you'd understand.

Bermuda

Yep, it's that simple.

I think a lot of people don't appreciate exactly how much of a bargain music has become thanks to the internet. Singles are the same price as they were 30+ years ago, and the ability to buy only the songs you want - and not an entire album - is a real benefit that didn't exist until fairly recently. I can't count how many times I was forced to buy a full CD when I only wanted a few album tracks that were unavailable as singles. $15.98 for 2 or 3 or 4 songs? Now that's expensive!

People certainly do feel entitled. I hope they all get a career in music where their work is distributed for free by so-called music lovers who claim they're helping promote the artist.

Bermuda

Art yes..but it's still entertainment.I've heard that many people consider some athletes artists.The great Brazilian Pele,was considered an artist with a soccer ball.The German striker Gerd Muller was considered the most prolific goal scorer of his time,and also an artist with a soccer ball.
Even when Mickey Mantle was injured,he would finish his swing with 1 arm and still hit homers.To watch Ted Williams play was a sight to behold.ART

But what all of these athletes/artists/musicians have in common is that they are also entertainers.When these entertainers belong to organizations/bands/management companies who profit through ticket sales/cd sales and merchandising,there's big money to be made.

They are entertainers who entertain millions through music or athletic competition.

It just comes down to all art being entertainment,also.Music,sports,painting,sculpture,architecture, fingerpainting,fashon....also entertain.

Finally,you're also selling a service.You're a vendor.I know that seems pretty black and white,but it's what other professionals do.Doctors,lawyers,designers(very artsy) plumbers carpenters all sell services.These people, within their field are considered artists.

Call up a plumber and see if he'll come over on a Sunday night to fix a broken pipe for free.How about a surgeon.Get one to operate for free.Tren to get a pro athlete to compete for a season for free.

Sorry,I see nothing wrong with selling music because its art,because it's also entertainment and a service.Industry executives are making money,why not the guy who wrote the song,that made that possible?

Steve B

Back