Vintage Slingerland 9 piece kit - need advice

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Hello,

I recently ran across a vintage 1970's 9 piece Slingerland kit at a music shop by my house. The kit contains 7 toms, 1 snare, and 1 bass. These were all stacked, so I couldn't accurately guage the sizes, but by the sales sign, they were all maple shells. This particular kit caught my eye because it was by Slingerland and the wrap was all black with gold rims, lugs, and tension rods. The snare stand and the two tom stands and the bass drum tom mount were all gold as well. The snare's gold plating was showing a lot of wear - scratches, etc. - and the lugs and rims on all drums and the stands were showing some pitting as well. However, the snare sounded great in the store.

By my limited inspection, the maple shells seemed intact with no extra holes in the shells or cracks. This kit obviously had a lot of miles on it, but the black finishes on the drums seemed like they only needed a good cleaning. The gold rims and lugs probably needed something more. The salesman said all the parts were original.

The kit was listed at $899.00.

I was interested because I wanted a Slingerland or Ludwig kit - maple - vintage - for a collector's item but also to do some limited gigging. On a scale of 1 tp 10, I'd rate this kit as probably a 6 ot 7 just by the pitting on the gold plating.

Does anyone have any knowledge about vintage Slingerlands? Is this kit worth collecting, or is it a piece of junk? Granted I wanted maple shells and some drum history but also don't want to waste my money. I'm willing to do a thorough cleaning job and use elbow grease to clean it up, but again, don't want to waste my time on junk.

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks.

If it's appealing to you, you should get it....

But, to actually try to be helpful, I see lots of Slingerland and Ludwig 3-piece kits in my 'hood going for around the $1000 mark in not-so-mint condition. If it takes a bit of elbow grease to make it presentable, then I would say absolutely you should get it. It sounds as if it would take more to restore it, though. If you want a well-worn gigging kit (which, in and of itself could be pretty hip, people are less likely to steal it at gigs, etc...) then make sure all of the hardware is functioning properly and it's good-looking enough for your tastes. If you're looking for more of a collector's kit, this doesn't sound like it, but it sounds like a gigging kit you could get a lot of variety from.

And if it has 3-ply maple/poplar/mahogany shells, buy it and run.....run like the wind.....don't look back.....

Just my 1/50th of a dollar...

Thanks Caddywumpus!

I need to wait until my next paycheck next week, but I'm sort of talking my self into it. 100% Maple shells can't be beat and these drums offer a lot of variety - tone wise. From the smaller toms for "fusion" and jazz work to the larger toms for rock. I was tinkering around with the setup on paper and figured out how I'd set them up and it looks like a very versitile kit, in my opinion. Thanks for your advice!

I'd probably grab them as well. Right now I have my eye on a 22", 13" and 16" slingerland in Blue satin flame. Vintage 60's. $400. (Depending on how a certain situation works out..lol).

It will work out one way or another, drums to trade or cash to buy. And I will certainly post pics. They are sitting in a warehouse where I usually do my Business so they shouldn't be going anywhere soon.

Back