Matt Johnson reflects on Jeff Buckleys "Grace" ... great video

WhoIsTony?

if you love this album the way I have for the past 20 years you will love this vid

if you are not familiar with this album you need to get it right now and also watch this vid

Matt talks about his time with Jeff Buckley and recording the game changing album Grace

great info for any drummer to check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLXW8U0hqAE

Last edited:
Buckley was amazing and that record is so good! Im happy to see that Matt is playing with St. Vincent. that's awesome.

I've loved this album for a long time, and I love Matt's playing on it. Thanks for sharing this, and for prompting me to bump this album back into my playlist!

Awesome album, thanks for the link.

This album inevitably makes me well up with tears every time I listen to it. Jeff's voice, lyrics and melodies just punch me in the gut and I break down. Such tragically beautiful and emotionally brutal music.

Yes but.......take a look at some of the JB videos from the 90s Mat's rack tom angle it's too steep for him to be considered a credible drummer.

mixing threads

Just listened to the full album. I never heard of Jeff Buckley if you can believe that. Wow. Thanks Ant.

My drum kit used to belong to Matt Johnson once, apparently. Well, it was bought for a Rufus Wainwright european tour in 2007 but he was Rufus's drummer at the time.

OMG what a true artist. Haunting, and fully formed. Hard to describe.

Just listened to the full album. I never heard of Jeff Buckley if you can believe that. Wow. Thanks Ant.

I feel like I did my good deed for the year

that record is pure brilliance

it is one of the only rock records that has not left my constant rotation in 20 years

Thanks Ant, great interview. Matt's passion, musical maturity, attention to detail, eloquence and intelligence shine through. I related to what he said about space and working within limitations.

In the 90s a band of mine used to cover Last Goodbye. I hadn't heard of Jeff Buckley before but used to have his dad's Greetings from LA LP (which I didn't realise at the time was probably Tim's weakest album). It took me a fair while to make sense of the song's arrangement. I can understand why Matt had trouble at first acclimatising.

Once the lights came on I was a fan. Great album and Last Goodbye and Grace are incredible tracks, and I always dug the drumming on them.

Great stuff. So much great music came from the 90s. I was a teen in the 80s and I really didn't like much of the new wave or hair metal back then (I like some of it now), but the 90s were a breath of fresh air for me. Love the interview.

Back