Can memory locks be sexy?

Andy

Honorary Member
We think so :)

We spent so much time designing a memory lock to work seamlessly with our Origin & In-Tense aluminium shell hardware, it just had to look sexy! Possibly the prettiest (& almost certainly the most expensive) memory lock ever (IMHO).

Attachments

• ml1.jpg
    ml1.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 595
  • ml2.jpg
    ml2.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 565
  • ml3.jpg
    ml3.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 564
  • ml4.jpg
    ml4.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 517
  • ml5.jpg
    ml5.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 547
  • ml6.jpg
    ml6.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 538
A device might be cleverly designed or highly ergonomic or aesthetically pleasing. I resist calling such things "sexy", though. It just doesn't seem to apply. It's like when someone says "That guitar looks so gay". Really? How about "I'll bet that doorknob is a great conversationalist"?

Whatever, those locks do seem to be pretty cleverly designed.

A device might be cleverly designed or highly ergonomic or aesthetically pleasing. I resist calling such things "sexy", though. It just doesn't seem to apply. It's like when someone says "That guitar looks so gay". Really? How about "I'll bet that doorknob is a great conversationalist"?

Whatever, those locks do seem to be pretty cleverly designed.
Point taken Jim, but they are spooning :)

The eagle eyed amongst you may also notice they're fitted to a 2014 Origin beech & ovangkol kit I'm currently constructing :)

I only wish all drum makers cared as much about such things as you do. I had to buy some aftermarket memory locks for my floor tom legs on my Tama. They are clunky and look like crap. I think the big boys could definitely take a page out of your book on this one.

The real question is: can memory locks warp time and space?

While it does indeed look great, have you thought of a wing-nut version for speed?

I'm assuming you have to do a four nut tightening there with a drum key? I know I'm being pedantic, but i much prefer speed over aesthetics!

Andy those look nice but IMO would be a pain in the arse during setup and break-down time. I'm sure you thought of that. Yes everybody carries a drum key, but yet another time where it would have to be taken out and used - 4 times per side.

Wings are sexy - so wing nuts can be too.

Very nice! If Jaguars had memory locks, it would be these... :)

It seems a bit "tacked on" instead of "sexy". Yes, you have all the little ribs aligning and it looks like it was designed to all be fluid in its design with the bass leg mount, but it could be better integrated and more seamless in its design, IMO. I would personally love to see no memory lock, yet still have a memory lock. Something hidden would be "sexier", IMO. Yes memory locks need to be accessed, but they are a bit "set it and forget it" by their nature. A design that incorporates access to the memory lock while keeping it hidden from sight would be truly "sexy". If not hidden, something that actually cuts in to or fills a gap in the mount, like a Tetris piece, to complete the mounts design would be cool.

Thanks for chiming in guys.

Answers to points raised:

Yes, the memory lock is an afterthought, & I agree, a fully integrated mechanism would be very cool. Perhaps in the next design phase, but right now, it's what we've got.

Wing nuts - we deliberately avoided those for a number of reasons. Remember, this is aluminium we're working with. The entire focus of our drum designs is sound, so low mass to us is number 1, 2, & 3. Aluminium wing nuts aren't viable mechanically, so a resort to steel or stainless steel would add considerably to bracket mass, probably up by 50%. Additionally, these brackets are very low profile. So low profile in fact, that our bass drums readily fit one size down in cases. Wing nuts would negate that benefit too. When you haul a 22" Guru bass drum, you're hauling a 20" case, & it's typically the weight of an average 16" floor tom (depending on wood species)

Setup time - I set these up all the time. The bracket top plate is spring loaded so opens up immediately. I only ever operate the top two screws, not four. We were quite rightly brought to task over not having memory locks, as that increased setup time considerably. Now, with memory locks, it takes me 10 seconds/side longer to set up these spurs compared to wing nut flip out designs. That's 20 seconds at a gig. Sorry, for a drum company that's utterly focussed on sound quality, 20 seconds isn't even on our radar compared to the sonic & hauling practicality benefits of the design. Don't get me wrong, we want our drums to be completely functional pieces of gigging gear, & they are, but we never compromise on sound for a minute degree of convenience.

I suppose the question is, can a memory lock have a negative impact on a drum's sound? Being as small as they are, and how much other mass is around them, does this little guy really make a difference. Yes weight is a concern, especially when you take weight loss as serious as you do (though it could get even more extreme with titanium bolts, but I digress) but is the mass of a memory lock really going to make a difference?

I personally like the "all drum key" hardware. Wing bolts are a bit clunky looking and always catch on bags, on your clothes, shoelaces, etc. The inset drum key bolts are a nice detail.

I suppose the question is, can a memory lock have a negative impact on a drum's sound? Being as small as they are, and how much other mass is around them, does this little guy really make a difference. Yes weight is a concern, especially when you take weight loss as serious as you do (though it could get even more extreme with titanium bolts, but I digress) but is the mass of a memory lock really going to make a difference?

I personally like the "all drum key" hardware. Wing bolts are a bit clunky looking and always catch on bags, on your clothes, shoelaces, etc. The inset drum key bolts are a nice detail.
Glad we agree on wing nuts :)

The weight of the memory lock isn't significant in our design, but if we made it out of steel or similar, it would weigh as much as the whole bracket assembly. To give you some idea of our mass reduction depth, 32 of our In-Tense bass drum lugs weigh the same as one classic Gretsch lug!

That is an awesomely sexy Mem Lock!!
I really like the design a lot.

ANDY WHY ARE YOUR DRUMS SO DAMN PERFECT.

Alright, now that we've gotten that outburst outta the way, I'll say that I do indeed think they look sexy. Very sleek, very unassuming. And yet they're aesthetically pleasing when noticed. Well done, once more.

It seems a bit "tacked on" instead of "sexy". Yes, you have all the little ribs aligning and it looks like it was designed to all be fluid in its design with the bass leg mount, but it could be better integrated and more seamless in its design, IMO. I would personally love to see no memory lock, yet still have a memory lock. Something hidden would be "sexier", IMO. Yes memory locks need to be accessed, but they are a bit "set it and forget it" by their nature. A design that incorporates access to the memory lock while keeping it hidden from sight would be truly "sexy". If not hidden, something that actually cuts in to or fills a gap in the mount, like a Tetris piece, to complete the mounts design would be cool.

I sort of agree- the Guru brackets aren't my cup of tea, especially with the angled ribbing and general shape. Function over form, though, I suppose. Maybe Andy should engineer an aluminum version of the Tama STAR brackets ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for chiming in guys.

Answers to points raised:

Yes, the memory lock is an afterthought, & I agree, a fully integrated mechanism would be very cool. Perhaps in the next design phase, but right now, it's what we've got.

Wing nuts - we deliberately avoided those for a number of reasons. Remember, this is aluminium we're working with. The entire focus of our drum designs is sound, so low mass to us is number 1, 2, & 3. Aluminium wing nuts aren't viable mechanically, so a resort to steel or stainless steel would add considerably to bracket mass, probably up by 50%. Additionally, these brackets are very low profile. So low profile in fact, that our bass drums readily fit one size down in cases. Wing nuts would negate that benefit too. When you haul a 22" Guru bass drum, you're hauling a 20" case, & it's typically the weight of an average 16" floor tom (depending on wood species)

Setup time - I set these up all the time. The bracket top plate is spring loaded so opens up immediately. I only ever operate the top two screws, not four. We were quite rightly brought to task over not having memory locks, as that increased setup time considerably. Now, with memory locks, it takes me 10 seconds/side longer to set up these spurs compared to wing nut flip out designs. That's 20 seconds at a gig. Sorry, for a drum company that's utterly focussed on sound quality, 20 seconds isn't even on our radar compared to the sonic & hauling practicality benefits of the design. Don't get me wrong, we want our drums to be completely functional pieces of gigging gear, & they are, but we never compromise on sound for a minute degree of convenience.

Great reply. Proof (as if I really needed it) that every detail on your kits is for the benefit of the sound and in this case even the aesthetics were a secondary consideration, despite still retaining some sexiness.

I am genuinly impressed that every design choice you made is instantly backed up by reasoning and not marketing waffle (I have a masters in Marketing and all it did was make me cynical!).

Out of interest do you have any literature on your website detailing the 'collars' on those drums that all the hardware attaches to? It seems like such an obvious idea once you see it, but then all the best ideas tend to!

:)

Great reply. Proof (as if I really needed it) that every detail on your kits is for the benefit of the sound and in this case even the aesthetics were a secondary consideration, despite still retaining some sexiness.

I am genuinly impressed that every design choice you made is instantly backed up by reasoning and not marketing waffle (I have a masters in Marketing and all it did was make me cynical!).

Out of interest do you have any literature on your website detailing the 'collars' on those drums that all the hardware attaches to? It seems like such an obvious idea once you see it, but then all the best ideas tend to!

:)
Thank you :) I must admit, we don't do "marketing" very well. We say it as we find it, provide a rationale for the design decision/specification, then leave it up to the interested party to work out if it has value to them or not.

As for the Origin series external rering design & other Origin details, I'm waiting until next week to populate the website on this. This is the brand new 2014 Origin design, & we're launching it this coming weekend, so it's fresh out. TBH, I'm so busy building up to the show, I don't have time this week. Additionally, the weather forecast isn't great, & I like to take outdoor shots so you can see detail in the pictures. That said, if you want to know anything, just ask :) There's plenty of video footage of the 2012 Origin series, & they carry the same sonic traits.

Some of the nicest ones I have seen; congratulations.

However, I wish my USA Customs came without memory locks. I just might be in the minority of drummers who just don't get it.

But yours do look very nice.

GJS

Back