Dark Classical Music, with lots o' percussion

I think Im at the point where I really cant listen to the classic rock stations playing the same 100 or so classic rock songs Ive been hearing every day for the last 30 years anymore.

Still beats the hell out listening to the news....

Two I'm fond of...

Sibelius "Finlandia": this performance was fitting for the opening of Helsinki's new music hall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOSaT6U4e-8

Also: Scheherezade: The snare drum parts are standard for mostly all professional auditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70XYf6hzcE

Former Chicago Symphony Orchestra member Ted Atkatz gives a good demonstration on his approach to the snare excerpts from that piece... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGc5CVui6rM&index=3&list=PL5214EA0D31102CF3

Check out
Verdi-Requiem (deus erie)
Shostakovich-11th symphony
Orff-Carmina Burana
Brahms-Dutch Requiem
Holst-The planets
Prokofiev-Romeo and Juliet
Stravinsky-Rite of Spring, Petrushka
Tchaikovsky-4th symphony
Zappa-Yellow shark
Beethoveen-symphonies 2,5,7,9

Theses are just a few example of orchestral music that really inspired me. Enjoy the journey, there is a tremendous amount of wonderful music out there!!

Thank you, if ya'll dont hear from me for about a month its bc Im locked away somewhere trying to listen to all this amazing music.

Something popped up on my playlist that fits the spirit of this topic, although perhaps not to the letter.

Alamaailman Vasarat is a Finnish group that uses horns, cellos, brass, pump organ, and plays some fusion of klezmer, european folk, bossa nova, punk, and metal... and that may be reductive.

Here's a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAbahejW5EE

Also: Scheherezade: The snare drum parts are standard for mostly all professional auditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y70XYf6hzcE

Former Chicago Symphony Orchestra member Ted Atkatz gives a good demonstration on his approach to the snare excerpts from that piece... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGc5CVui6rM&index=3&list=PL5214EA0D31102CF3

Have you ever tried single-stroking that first lick from Scheherazade? I’ve actually gotten fairly good at it. That’s a side effect of hanging out here and watching videos from all these super-fast drumset guys.

I think Im at the point where I really cant listen to the classic rock stations playing the same 100 or so classic rock songs Ive been hearing every day for the last 30 years anymore. I usually end up at the classical station now, who da thunk it? While the frilly, fruity stuff doesn't do it as much for me, I find that every once in a while they'll play something with a bit more of an edge, sometimes quite sinister, and best case scenario, stuff with some nice percussion. Can anyone recommend some good classical for me to check out? At my infancy with rock music, it needed to have an edge, to sound mysterious and perhaps dark. I guess my infancy stage with classical is the same. Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

I live in Albany NY. Our city felt proud when our own Albany Symphony Orchestra won the 2014 Grammy for Best Classical Instrumental Album. The featured piece on the CD is "The Conjurer", a concerto for percussion and orchestra by composer John Corigliano. Evelyn Glennie is the lead percussionist with the ASO's own David Alan Miller conducting. "Dark classical music with lots o' percussion" to say the least! It's a challenging listen, but if you are in the right mood it will take you places.

Last edited:
Slightly different - check out John Rutter's 'Gloria' for choir, organ, brass and percussion. Especially the 1st and 3rd movements. I conducted this work in 2001 - a highlight of my school conducting career.

My brother's high school marching band did an arrangement of this that is my favorite marching piece of all time. It is ridiculously awesome and epic.

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.4, No. 5 and No. 6, Romeo and Juliet (heavier percussion parts in No. 4 and Romeo and Juliet but No.6 nicknamed "pathetique" is about as dark as it comes and very melodic.)
Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade (accessable, melodic, has some cool percussion parts)
Sibelius: Finlandia (accessable, fun timpani part to play)
Copeland: Fanfare For the Common Man (simple, not dark but pretty heavy for all about 3 minutes)
Holst: The Planets (especially Mars and Jupiter)
Orff: Carmina Burana (especially O Fortuna number 1 and 25)
Stravinsky: Rite of Spring (20th century, percussive)

Getting outside of western classical, try out some traditional Kyoto Drum Pieces.

Nothing like guys in sumo like underwear and headbands doing full arm swings against drums that would literally kill you if they fell on you while screaming at opportune moments.

Getting outside of western classical, try out some traditional Kyoto Drum Pieces.

Nothing like guys in sumo like underwear and headbands doing full arm swings against drums that would literally kill you if they fell on you while screaming at opportune moments.

For clarification, I think you mean Taiko, which are Japanese drums. And there are taiko drum places in the city of Kyoto. Or perhaps this is something else with which I'm not familiar.

For clarification, I think you mean Taiko, which are Japanese drums. And there are taiko drum places in the city of Kyoto. Or perhaps this is something else with which I'm not familiar.

Thanks for the correction!

I mis-learned the name due to the name of the orchestra I saw long ago...

Did Holst, The Planets on ride to work today, greatness! So much more to listen to, so many new adventures!! Thank you to all for taking the time to respond, Im checking it all out.

Just as a quick aside, you should look into music that was written for the movies.
I just played the overtures from Robin Hood, Spartacus and, of course, Star Wars. Great stuff, lots of fun!

Two that come to mind from the same composer (Newman)

Captain from Castille and How the West Was Won.

Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

I think Im at the point where I really cant listen to the classic rock stations playing the same 100 or so classic rock songs Ive been hearing every day for the last 30 years anymore.
Haha, I hit that point about 20 years ago. Since then, I've been exploring alternative/indie rock, R&B/funk/soul, old school hip-hop, EDM, and yes classical too. I certainly revisit the classic rock now and then because there is so much great music there, but I'd go nuts just sticking to one genre.

Oddly, when it comes to classical, I prefer chamber music (smaller groups... trios, quartets, etc) but those generally don't feature percussion. It's great background music though.

Getting outside of western classical, try out some traditional [taiko] Drum Pieces.
Absolutely. I've seen Kodo live twice now. Hearing and feeling those drums live is transcendental (to me). I think every drummer owes it to themselves to experience that.

Back