The book that influenced you the most.

I think you really hit on something here. Books are great for building technique and getting some ideas percolating, but I think the real influence for application can only be spawned through example.

I find it almost impossible to get the feel of a groove that's written on paper. That's why I watch DVDs to watch other drummers play. A picture is worth a thousand words.... and a moving picture....many more.

There are so many. These days, I am obsessed with this one:
4%20WAY%20COORDINATION-Dahlgren.JPG
. Took a long time to get into it, but now I can hardly stop practicing it. The exercises are built in an unusual way and don't look like "normal" independence books I have come across.

Some of the patterns are extremely challenging. I am working through this with Dom, and he instructed me to splash the hihat when the book says left foot. Well, it was a serious task to even begin to control swung 8th notes at any kind of tempo. Man, I got so frustrated....

Anyway, I have a few videos on my site showing examples of how the exercises work. Take a look and please post a comment.
Casper

Just ordered it :D

I've also ordered Beyond Bop Drumming. Should be a laugh like.

I still maintain that Chapin's book changed my playing more than anything in the world. Now I think what's influencing me are my Jack DeJohnette transcriptions :D

"The Drummer's Complete Vocabulary As Taught By Alan Dawson" is hitting me pretty hard too.

I have to say Stick control because it was the first book I studied. There have been many since including master studies I and II, Tomas Cruz congas books, syncopation, advanced studies, the Dave Garibaldi books, new breed and so many more. I also use many in my teaching beginning with Joel Rothman's Basic drumming, the drummers cookbook, some of Peter Erskine's books, Jim Riley etc etc. I stay broke buying drumming and percussion books!

Back