Which Acrolite to keep?

zarrdoss

Gold Member
I recently bought a 1982 Blackrolite at a decent price, I cleaned it all up and put new heads and wires on it, then over the weekend I found a 1972 Silver Acrolite with a case stand and pad for a damn cheap price, a few scratches other than that pretty good condition, it even had the stock reso and wires on it. I cleaned it up and put some better heads and wires on it and like it too, the only thing I don't like is the throw off, its a string tie only but know I can replace it with a new p85/86.
So which would you keep? I suspect the 72 is more rare than the blackrolite, I would keep them both but I could used the money to get my 6.5 limited Acrolite out of lay away.
Thanks

IMG_0682.JPG

Keep both,just put different heads and wires,on each drum,and differ the tuning a little.Leave the P-85 and just get some Ludwig snare cord,or venitian blind braided nylon cord,use a surgeons knot,and it won't slip....ever.The whole key is decent cord and a good knot.

Steve B

I'd normally say keep both, because I was never a "seller" of gear once I got it (that has changed recently).
However, in this case, in order to get the 6.5 in your hands faster, I'd say sell the Black Galaxy drum.

The '72 will match your new snare--that's just a cosmetic reason (since they'd sound pretty much the same), but the finish on the '72 is nicer to me than the Black Galaxy. It may be some "nostalgia" on my part, but the brushed aluminum just appeals to me more. Overall, I'd say the Aluminum finish would be more desirable to "Ludwig people" than Black Galaxy is.
Don't get me wrong, the BG is a nice looking finish, but it doesn't say "Acrolite" to me.

I'd use Ludwig's Gold cord on the strainer you have if it's functioning fine. The Ludwig cord holds up really great, and the sound is better IMO. Once I changed over to that cord (after everything else) I won't go back.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have come to the same conclusion as Karl, if I sell one it will be the Blackrolite. And I also have to agree I like the brushed aluminum more.
I put some snare cord that comes with puresound wires and it sounds and functions fine. I regularly use grosgrain ribbon on my snares a would like to do the same if possible but I will keep the stock strainer if I indeed put a new p85 or 86 on it.
I would naturally like to keep it but I have 12 other back up snares and would really like to get my other new Acrolite out of lay away asap.
I will kick this around a bit more though, Thanks again!

Question. Is that practice pad exclusive to the acrolite? I'm looking at one now on Craigslist and they don't know if it is an acrolite or not.

Question. Is that practice pad exclusive to the acrolite? I'm looking at one now on Craigslist and they don't know if it is an acrolite or not.

Usually it came in a kit for students, snare, stand, practice pad and case, It might be a rocker also, can you post a pic?

Another vote for the silver. I have one as well and it's one of my favorites. Reading up a bit, standard steel wires are often recommended for these. Mine came with the original snares which I packed away for safekeeping and put a set of Gibraltar steel wires on. I tried some PureSounds but since this snare is mellower, the sharper snap of steel wires works better with it. I have mine tuned kind of low for a fat trad sound. Ambassador over a Hazy 300. Haven't had any problem with the cords. I replaced the originals with some that came in a general repair kit of felts cords and such that has been laying in my bag for the last 10 years. I also use the ribbon on my other snares, but the cord is fine on this. Actually didn't stretch in as much as the ribbon does.

I did keep the silver one and sold the Blackrolite, I put a new P85 strainer on it so I can use strap. I also put on an Aquarian Hi Energy over a Hazy 300 and Puresound blasters. I really like it but like my 6.5 just for the added depth.

Back