Do they make sticks out of ash?

razorx

Platinum Member
I was just wondering because baseball bats are made out of ash due to the fact that it doesn't easily break. They ones that do break are made of maple.

That's crazy. I don't go through sticks that fast that i'd need 165 pairs.

I don't think they use ash because it's not very good at dampening vibrations. Anyone who has hit a baseball while not holding onto the bat hard enough can relate. Can you say carpel tunnel?

--J.

I don't think they use ash because it's not very good at dampening vibrations.

Why on earth would one like to use sticks that dampen vibrations? That's almost as silly as staying away from vibrant cymbals and resonant drum heads. Sticks are supposed to vibrate and sing; the stick's resonance is an essential part of a rim click's and a cymbal sound's attack.

just a guess but the "bashingclub" probably have a rough time with sticks that vibrate or resonate....and have problems with dented heads...and broken cymbals...and blisters....."I just can't figure out WHY I keep bustin stuff?!?!".....

I found this when I googled Ash drumsticks:

Arrange drumsticks snugly on a large foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper on all sides. Pour sauce over and turn drumsticks several times to coat thoroughly. Broil or grill until chicken is browned, about 25 to 30 minutes, or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a knife. While cooking, turn pan around from back to front every 2 to 3 minutes and use tongs to turn drumsticks over. If liquid in baking sheet starts to scorch, add water, 1/4 cup at a time.

Why on earth would one like to use sticks that dampen vibrations? That's almost as silly as staying away from vibrant cymbals and resonant drum heads. Sticks are supposed to vibrate and sing; the stick's resonance is an essential part of a rim click's and a cymbal sound's attack.

Seriously? Proper technique dictates getting the stick *off* the drum or cymbal as quickly as possible and letting the struck object do the vibrating, not the stick. "Singing sticks" will get you nothing but a trip to the doctor and some nasty, painful surgery for carpel tunnel syndrome.

--Jim.

I don't think so I think most problems come from poor technique not resonant sticks...if you watch JoJo Mayers DVD he talks about this allowing the stick to vibrate on impact rather than holding it tightly which makes sense. I think grabbing a stick tightly is what results in doctors visits...not the stick itself. if you are allowing rebound off the instrument you are playing it should be loose enough for the stick to vibrate.

I have all the respect in the world for Jo Jo as a player, but implying that the material the stick is made of contributes greatly to the sound of a drum or cymbal sounds like voodoo to me. Your grip should be loose to keep from transferring vibrations into your wrists and elbows, not to channel some mystical magical force. It just doesn't exist.

That's not to say that weight, taper, tip, length, etc. don't matter -- they do. My point was and is that ash may not be used for a reason.

Let's try this -- why do they make most sticks out of hickory? Because hickory has a natural ability to dampen vibrations and transfer more energy to the drum and away from the player. Hickory is not a "tone wood" -- it does not resonate and it will never "sing." It's the same reason you'll rarely if ever see hickory drums, at least I never have. Because they'd sound like plastic garbage cans. :)

personally I recommend trying to intentionally hold the sticks loose for awhile in varying degrees while practicing. I think it is reaaaaallllly easy to slip into gripping too tight territory while playing...especially in a live situation. Concentrating on this can help your sound over time. Playing drums often is like building a puzzle and making sure you have all aspects firing at the same time. It's easy to slip into old habits with grip etc. I have expermented alot lately with what Jojo says and it does improve your overall playing to try it for awhile. It's like breathing..something few think about but can affect your playing and sound greatly. it also gets you playing "easy" rather than forcing things.

Absolutely! I'm often stunned at how lazy my right foot becomes when I don't really think about it. Same goes for grip, posture, etc.

Why does drumming have to be so hard??? ;)

--J.

Absolutely! I'm often stunned at how lazy my right foot becomes when I don't really think about it. Same goes for grip, posture, etc.

Why does drumming have to be so hard??? ;)

--J.

Ha...I don't know....but it IS.....and to think some people think we "just beat stuff with sticks"...the key is conscious effort really helps pay off down the road.

Back