Need help from acrylic experts.

Zickos

Gold Member
I was in a hurry at a gig and I dropped my 13" Zickos tom and I cracked it.

DSCF1143.JPGDSCF1144.JPGDSCF1145.JPG

Can this be repaired? Will it continue to crack? Is the drum playable as it is? I'm just sick about this.

it is actually fixable, i work in a glass shop and we use acrylic glue for making plexiglass boxes and stuff of that sort, either take it to your nearest glass shop, or go to a hardware store. its a clear water like liquid with strong fumes so use it in an open space and you'll need a syringe to carfully inject the the glue into the crack. it may cause a little discoloration around the crack.

Also check to see if you have any industrial plastics fabrication companies in the area that work with acrylic. Joey's method is correct. However, it is a solvent based "glue". It melts the plastic back together. If it touches anything it's not suposed to it will mar the finish. It would be best to have someone who has done it once before and has a little expirience perform the fix. But do understand some distortion of the surface finish is almost certian.

Thanks for all the good advice. Everyone has been very helpful. There is a professional acrylic shop where I had some work done on this drum before and I think I will take it there for an opinion.

Oh man, I feel so sorry for you! Seeing those pics makes me feel sick too. I hope you are able to get it fixed. Unfortunately, I don't think you're ever going to feel happy with that drum again. Maybe it's time to start looking for a replacement tom? Good luck!

Back