Soft Practice Pad

drummingman

Gold Member
Does anybody make a practice pad that is soft? Like made out of the same stuff that drumset mutes are made out of only layered thickly.

I'm looking for something that has a decent amount of bounce but does not transmit a lot of shock that gum rubber.

I just put a towel over my billy hydes pad.

Maybe attach a mute pad onto your practice pad using velcro strips?

I seldom use my practice pads because of the excess bounce. I just use the drum mutes on the kit daily for quiet practice (actually isn't too quite though).

I've heard people use round mouse pads and attach them to their practice pads as well.

Both options save money instead of buying another pad. Just have to experiment.

Computer mouse pads work well and come in a lot of different thicknesses and densities.

Does the pad have enough bounce to do bouncy double strokes on? Also, is the pad thick where one plays on it?

Here's my deal, I have tendonitis in both wrists. When I play on a pad like a real feel with normal sticks it makes my left wrist hurt. I can use Ahead sticks on my real feel and both wrists feel fine. But it would be cool if I had a pad I could use wood sticks on without getting discomfort (I use Zildjian anti-vibes on the kit and my wrists feel great. But the Anti-vibes don't work for me on the real feel).

The low bounce methods I use for hand training are:

1. Moongel practice pad.
2. Two mouse pads glued onto a wood block.
3. A drum mute on a 16" floor tom.

The Moongel is great....offers no rebound at all......the perfect hand/finger workout. The two mouse pads are also great. Not quite as "dead" as the Moongel pad, yet nowhere near as much rebound as a regular pad....feel similar to the top of the range Yamaha silicone pads. And of course, the mute/magazine on the FT is an old school, tried and tested method.

All of them provide excellent hand training. If you can play clean doubles on any of these surfaces, you can play 'em anywhere.

Back