Hard-wearing, low-overtone snare head.

PeniScott

Silver Member
Exactly as it says in the title, i'm looking for a durable head that, in itself, gets rid of most of the overtones.

My first thought was the EC snare head but i've tried that on 3 separate snares and just generally don't like it. Then i also considered the Remo Emperor X with the black dot underneath. I've tried that on maybe 4 or 5 different snares and on some they were very mid-rangey and not very toneful, which i didn't like. I know i'm a hypocrite by asking for a snare head with few overtones but complain about lack of tonality, but there must be someone who knows what i'm getting at, right?!

I want a muffled snare, one that i can mic up (which it often is) and put through the speakers without blurting out a load of overtones, but still have a tiny bit of ring and sustain to keep it feeling natural. Nothing major, but just a little natural tone.

So no i'm thinking about the Evans Powercenter/Reverse dot, all the 'Dry' Evans heads, and Hydraulic.

Before you say i'm limiting myself to one brand, i've found over the years that (from my experience at least) the coating on evans heads tends to last longer than that of Remo and some Aquarians. And yes, i'm a hard hitter.

So, which of these, or any others, do you think would be appropriate?
Thanks
xoxo

Last edited:
The Power Center is a great head but will give you overtones. Have you tried the Evans Genera? Not the "dry" but just the genera. It should dampen some overtones but still be fairly lively.

Try the Aquarian Hi Energy head.
It has a deeper tone to begin with, and even though it's that dot material covering most of it, and a center dot, it's still decently sensitive while generating very little overtones. A great head for a hard hitter.
It lasts a LONG time before it goes dead too.

Aquarian Focus X.
I use it when I want the sound that you are after.

The Evans ST Dry or HD Dry would be your best bet.

Both are two-ply (the ST is thicker), with muffle ring and dry vents, which has the most aggressive ring control and highest durability but sound and feel completely different from the EC snare batter.

I've used both of them before and they do what they're supposed to, I just prefer a more open sounding head these days.

Back