Most Under-rated Drummers

Rodeny Holmes takes the title for most under-rated drummer on the scene. He got fired from Santana and could probably smoke out every other drummer that has ever played in Santanas band. Maybe this is a bold statement, but I feel his hand speed is quicker than Buddy Rich or Jim Chapin.

Didn't know he got fired from Santana. What were the issues?

Most of the drummers I admire are guys that are good enough not to be underrated, my current favorite, Jojo Mayer who is an alien freak when it comes to the drum set but as some people have pointed out, there's some amazing drummers out there that don't get their due.

Here's a couple in my opinion:

Jon Fishman- The drummer for Phish gets no love or rarely. This guy was self taught but he's tight, has very fast hands and comes up with some very unique polyrhythms for songs. He also isn't so big on drum solos which, even as a drummer, I agree with. The guy can rip but he also plays strong and solid for the song. Intuitive, fun and incredibly tasteful. When he's on, the band tears it up. Maybe it's because Phish is so big and there are alot of haters out there for the music that he doesn't get respect. To me his playing is a product of his personality in the same way as Keith Moon and Stewart Copeland. He's been my biggest drumming influence. Listening to how he plays taught me to play freely and have the courage to take chances.

George Hurley- The Minutemen and fIREHOSE made such odd music but I liked them both even though I listened to fIREHOSE more. They weren't exactly prototypical punk and they weren't conventional rock. It was a unique sound and George's playing was a big part of that. He wouldn't necessarily play the easy 4/4. He loved to bang away and he moved fast pounding out unexpected rhythms. You could tell he liked jazz by some of his flourishes. His style really helped identify both bands and he drove them hard. He was not a wall flower drummer. He pushed his bandmates. Great stuff that needs to be heard to be appreciated.

Last edited:
Nir Z - amazing drummer, very under-rated.

Under-rated in the sense that drum mags don't seem to mention them much (and in no particular order):

Joey Heredia

Paco Sery

Richie Morales

Gary Husband

Billy Hart

Andy Newmark

Ralph Peterson, Jr.

Graham Broad

Gary Husband was on the cover of the last Drumhead Mag.....kudos to him....what a monster drummer he is....

The late Frank Butler. If you are interested in jazz, check him out. Fantastic player, almost unknown today, with a very individual style. Played on Art Pepper's "Smack Up" and "Intensity" albums. Plus, he's featured on Curtis Counce's "Landslide" album. You really need to check him out, trust me.

Patrick Keeler, of The Greenhornes and The Raconteurs. One of a few drummers on the contemporary rock scene that is a direct influence, mainly because he has such an old-school style and sound, kind of Bonham, Watts, with a bit of Mitch. Never intrusive, but comes up with interesting grooves, and quite rudimentally orientated compared to most contemporary drummers. Check out the Raconteurs' latest album Consolers Of The Lonely.

Ringo Starr, I feel, is fairly under-rated by many drummers, but what he lacked it technicality he more than made up for in musicality and 'catchy' drum parts. Like Charlie Watts, he is often seen as 'the lucky one', who got big by playing in a successful mainsteam band.

I also find that John Bonham, whilst well respected through out the drumming community, is never really mentioned by non- drummers.

I understand that there are players who are far more innovative and gifted than those mentioned above, and that my opinion is undoubtedly naive and humble.

Vinnie Appice

On VH1's That Metal Show they had a throw down between the brothers with Ronnie James Dio and Geezer Butler and they both said Carmine. Some guys just get no respect. It was all in good fun. :)

On VH1's That Metal Show they had a throw down between the brothers with Ronnie James Dio and Geezer Butler and they both said Carmine. Some guys just get no respect. It was all in good fun. :)

Thanks, Ken. I watched that programme too and I thought the same...They were just having fun.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Charles Mingus drummer, Dannie Richmond. Some of his left hand playing (like on Boogie Stop Shuffle) is really sensitive.

Billy and Mickey are both awsome... not under rated in my book.

I think Alan White of Yes is by far the most under rated drummer ever.

Unfortunately if you try to find a thread or article about Kreutzmann on this or any other forum, you probably won't find one. Outside of deadheads, I don't think he's that well known. but I agree, he's a great drummer.

I listen to a boat load of jazz music. Here are my picks for underrated jazz drummers. Sorry if any of these are repeats -

Donald Bailey
Ed Blackwell
John Riley
Paul Motian
Jerry Granelli
Shadow Wilson
Jimmy Cobb
Jeff Ballard
Earl Carter
Joey Baron
Gene Lake
Colin Bailey
Albert Tootie Heath
Matt Wilson
Shelly Manne
Kenny Clarke
Joe Dukes

Man I could go on and on. Another drummer who I think is so underrated is Raymond Pounds. His stick work with Stevie Wonder on "Songs in the Key of Life" and with the band Afrique was supremely funky.

I gotta say Matt Cameron.

No way is Matt Cameron under rated!! Not where I come from anyway. A fair few of my friends are heavily influenced by him. Including myself to some degree.

Haven't read through all the 450+ posts and this is probably a repeat but the people who spring to mind for me is - Charlie Watts and Ringo. I say this not only because I think they are under rated but also when you speak about the most under rated, obviously the 2 most famous drummers in the world are going to come top of the list (few are going to be under rated if few people have heard of them) if you catch my drift.

Last edited:
No way is Matt Cameron under rated!! Not where I come from anyway. A fair few of my friends are heavily influenced by him. Including myself to some degree.

Haven't read through all the 450+ posts and this is probably a repeat but the people who spring to mind for me is - Charlie Watts and Ringo. I say this not only because I think they are under rated but also when you speak about the most under rated, obviously the 2 most famous drummers in the world are going to come top of the list (few are going to be under rated if few people have heard of them) if you catch my drift.

It's a strange day when Matt Cameron isn't underrated and Ringo and Watts are! I don't see how either of those two could be considered overrated; sure, there's a good number of people who don't rate them highly, but there's a good number of people that do. Given their fame we'd be talking millions of them.

It's a strange day when Matt Cameron isn't underrated and Ringo and Watts are! I don't see how either of those two could be considered overrated; sure, there's a good number of people who don't rate them highly, but there's a good number of people that do. Given their fame we'd be talking millions of them.

Strange world isn't it. By statistics Charlie and Ringo are rated more highly than Vinnie Colaiuta. ..Over rated by millions and statistically they're also under rated by millions. Sorry to take things literally here but it's a fact.

Last edited:
Matt tong from bloc party.
Love the musicality of his beats, he compliments bloc party's music very well.
Easily one of my favourite and most influential drummers.
The only problem is it's hard to find video's of him, and he never seems to be mentioned in drum magazines. Quite annoying, would be cool to read an interview or watch a few youtube clips of him.

Back