New DTX700 module.

thebarak

Just sharing my latest splurge. I have purchased a Yamaha DTX700 module to upgrade my DTX535K drum set.

I did this mainly to get better expression from the hi-hat. The 700 will add bow, edge, foot pressure on closed etc.

To be honest I did not realize the 500 module would not deliver all of this or I might have started with a 700 kit, but I am glad I did not because the DTX535K is the bargain of the range, having a 10" TCS snare, 15" ride, RH135 hats, and saving money by including the Yamaha rubber toms, which I actually really like.

Anyway, the DTX700 module should allow me to shelve the VST complications and get a killer sound straight from the box. Not that I don't love the maple and beech presets on the 500, but the hi-hat is very important.

And yes, I have like many others concluded that the 2Box module probably sounds best, but I think need to give them a generation or two and full US distribution and support before I consider that move.

The 535K kit really really really really (did I say really) tempted me. The snare and ride with the 535 are really nice. In the end though I felt I got more bang for my buck with a 700K bundle for home. Throw TCS all the way around ... and I was sold. The bundle I had came with a rubber TP100 ... I really like the 10 inch diameter ... having TCS though ... I still keep the 8 inch TCS pad as my snare.

As far as dropping your VST ... not sure if the DTX700 module is "that" good ... but with the ability to load your own voices it certainly does give somewhat of an infinite growth potential (assuming you don't run out of space for your samples).

What hooked me too on the DTX700 was the 3 voices on all inputs ... especially for the cymbals.

I did not realize the DTX500 had a "crippled" hihat. Its a great module really for its price.

Enjoy the DTX700!

Yes as I said it was just this hi-hat shortcoming that made me buy the 700. The 500 has nice sounds. But the 700 will offer other nice aspects too and is worth the extra expenditure for me.

I wonder if people will get us mixed up, theoak looks like thebarak.

I don't think so. Folks I think can remember I'm the better looking one ;)

I did this mainly to get better expression from the hi-hat. The 700 will add bow, edge, foot pressure on closed etc.
Can you expand on this a little? I've got a DTXpress IV special with the RH135, and the hihat doesn't play as well as I'd like... Particularly, it doesn't react properly as you slowly open it up. Pretty sure it already responds differently to bow and edge play, though.

But if the DTX700 module improves the HH feel, I might be interested in upgrading... Doubly so since I could add a TCS snare pad.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm out of town. If your module is like the newer DTX500 then regardless of which hihat you have, it will not give you open, closed, in between, edge, bow and hard foot close.

The DTX700 will do all of that but the DTX500 only gives you closed, and then almost open, with nothing in between or beyond. So if you are able to be expressive on a real hihat the 500 may disappoint you.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm out of town. If your module is like the newer DTX500 then regardless of which hihat you have, it will not give you open, closed, in between, edge, bow and hard foot close.

The DTX700 will do all of that but the DTX500 only gives you closed, and then almost open, with nothing in between or beyond. So if you are able to be expressive on a real hihat the 500 may disappoint you.

Yeah, I think the Dtxpress IV is basically the same as the DTX500. Looks identical. And mine goes from closed to open, with no in-between. It does do foot chicks and foot splashes, though.... Not quite sure what you mean by hard foot close, if not a regular foot chick.

Does the 700 have a full range of sounds from closed to open? Or just one extra half-open sound in between?

Yeah, I think the Dtxpress IV is basically the same as the DTX500. Looks identical. And mine goes from closed to open, with no in-between. It does do foot chicks and foot splashes, though.... Not quite sure what you mean by hard foot close, if not a regular foot chick.

Does the 700 have a full range of sounds from closed to open? Or just one extra half-open sound in between?

Soupy, there is a YouTube video where the DTX700 is demonstrated for Kraft Music. It shows the hat functions very well. Of course an acoustic hat has a hundred sounds that no electronic hat has, but the 700 and 900 are much more expressive than the 500.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f6AA0urNVo

Back