What's a good way to learn drumming online?

Markery

So, I've been drumming completely un-taught for like 5 years (I'm 16 now) since I got my first set. I posted another thread where everyone instructed me to get lessons. Problem is there's really no one that offers lessons around here, and I don't have the money, nor do my parents.

So I want to learn online, and I like Drumlessons.com/Freedrumlessons.com but I don't know where to start. I mean, I'm kind of stuck on a certain beat and I always end up playing it, same will fills. So my skill set is very narrow, and it seems like I'm REALLY stuck on that beat, as I've played it for a long time. And I don't really know the names for anything, so that's a problem. I feel like I've missed some of the fundamental factors that go into being a well rounded drummer. But it's gonna really suck having to go through the basics.

What do you suggest?

can you read notation at all? (even a basic snare drum line?) if not then there is no time like the present.

save up a bit and get a book called stick control. it will be a great purchase, years of enjoyment!

p.s. what brownie said is wonderful advice! just make sure you start slow. with a metronome if possible.

Marrkery, okay so you can't afford lessons.

I agree with what others say about reading to learn new beats and online tutors to help you sort out your grip and strokes.

If you've learned by playing along with music then it helps to play with a wide variety of music - rock, pop, jazz, metal, fusion, blues, soul, RnB, funk, prog, Afro, Latin ...

In the end, the whole aim of the game for most of us is just to learn songs - lots and lots of songs - and keep improving our interpretation and ability to make other musicians feel comfortable playing.

When you play along with the songs it's important to remember that - in truth - the recorded drummer is driving it, not you. So try not to bludge and let the recorded drummer carry you along and then convince yourself that you're doing it. This is a very common mistake and results in drummers struggling to maintain a compelling groove when it's their turn to drive a band without the aid of a recorded backing.

It's especially important to be able to start a song at the right tempo to get everyone in the band comfortable.

Go to gigs and, when you see the drummer do something cool (that's not impossible), go and learn it at home to a metronome, imagining the music in your head. If you can't play it exactly right, try to play the beat or lick so it at least sounds good and achieves a similar effect.

You'll find that timing (especially), relative volumes of the various elements (hats, kick, snare etc) and tone production from the drums make the difference between something that sounds okay and something that sounds great.

And never forget why you started playing in the first place - fun!

Marrkery, okay so you can't afford lessons.

I agree with what others say about reading to learn new beats and online tutors to help you sort out your grip and strokes.

If you've learned by playing along with music then it helps to play with a wide variety of music - rock, pop, jazz, metal, fusion, blues, soul, RnB, funk, prog, Afro, Latin ...

In the end, the whole aim of the game for most of us is just to learn songs - lots and lots of songs - and keep improving our interpretation and ability to make other musicians feel comfortable playing.

When you play along with the songs it's important to remember that - in truth - the recorded drummer is driving it, not you. So try not to bludge and let the recorded drummer carry you along and then convince yourself that you're doing it. This is a very common mistake and results in drummers struggling to maintain a compelling groove when it's their turn to drive a band without the aid of a recorded backing.

It's especially important to be able to start a song at the right tempo to get everyone in the band comfortable.

Go to gigs and, when you see the drummer do something cool (that's not impossible), go and learn it at home to a metronome, imagining the music in your head. If you can't play it exactly right, try to play the beat or lick so it at least sounds good and achieves a similar effect.

You'll find that timing (especially), relative volumes of the various elements (hats, kick, snare etc) and tone production from the drums make the difference between something that sounds okay and something that sounds great.

And never forget why you started playing in the first place - fun!

I don't know if that's a problem or a plus with me though; I don't play to songs with the same beat and fill they use. I make the beats and fills I know work, and sometimes it works good, other times not. But I've been recently playing music with the drums removed.

If you have been untutored for so long I would make it a priority to have at least 1 lesson from a good tutor and then go onto internet lessons. You may have some technique issues or there might be part of your playing that needs attention. Mikeslessons.com is $20/month, which is incredible value considering the resources this opens up to you.
Cheers
Davo

Back