Inspired by the orchestral percussion thread

One of these days I am going to learn how to post multipul times.

Larrylace,

it's true that there is no "drum set" in a symphony orchestra USUALLY. but we are doing a concert end of Feb., first of Mar., (again, see okorchestra.com) on which we have a music theater singer as the guest artist. There will be a rythem section and I will be the drummer. I'm grately looking forward to it. Next rehearsal is tomorrjow night.

iwantmemoney,

Plolvetsian Dances (Ipalotov-Ivanov) has a great snare drum part. I've done it once, but the last time I played it was on tymp. That's not a bad part either.

Also, there is a great story I heard from the principal of the Chicago Symphony about playing one of the Mahler symphonies (can't remember which one). Aside from tympani, the only other percussion was two simultaneous bass drum and cymbal notes. These were played in different parts of one movement so it required two percussionists. He told me that their approach to those notes was as if they were the two most important notes they had ever played. Since all the players (except the concert master) were paid the same money, these guys were by far the highest paid musicians in the orchestra for that concert.

I'm really beginning to like this thread.

If you are in to Celtic music, check out a group known as Mithril ,. Our orchestra did a concert with them last fall and the drummer is AMAZING! (See okorchestra.com and check out the guest artist tab)

I love a band called Mael Mordha, they play kind of Gaelic folk mixed with doom, kind of like what would happen if Candlemass had a run in with the Dropkick Murphies and a traditional Irish funeral dirge.

I love a band called Mael Mordha, they play kind of Gaelic folk mixed with doom, kind of like what would happen if Candlemass had a run in with the Dropkick Murphies and a traditional Irish funeral dirge.

haha! was that meant to sound that funny? hysterical! it sounds like a message of hope for sure.makes me want to run down to the record store right now! and don't mess with the dropkick murphies. cause they will dropkick your a#&!!

@zicko- wow the tympani part is about as good as it gets ain't it? but i love the snare thingie...i don't think any youtube type of recording could reveal how exciting it can be. i totally relate with the chicago story...but have you thought about how serious it is to count all those measures and not miss that single note? maybe they were underpaid, you never know...

haha! was that meant to sound that funny? hysterical! it sounds like a message of hope for sure.makes me want to run down to the record store right now! and don't mess with the dropkick murphies. cause they will dropkick your a#&!!

@zicko- wow the tympani part is about as good as it gets ain't it? but i love the snare thingie...i don't think any youtube type of recording could reveal how exciting it can be. i totally relate with the chicago story...but have you thought about how serious it is to count all those measures and not miss that single note? maybe they were underpaid, you never know...

I'd say it is pretty accurate description of Mael Mordha's sound. Seriously check them out if you're into that kind of music. Not as heavy on the folk instruments as a lot of folk metal bands, some piano, fair bit of whistles and a vocalist that sounds like William Wallace.

I play drum kit as my main instrument in a few bands. I also play congas/bata in a folkloric afro-cuban group, tabla in an Indian music duo, djembe in a West African drum troupe, and have studied timbale, bongo, pandiero, berimbau, and picked up a couple other things along the way as well.

The thing with percussion is that it really does take time to learn the technique. Getting the right sound out of congas or djembe is about 80% of making it sound right in any music. I'm a stickler on tradition, because I've paid my dues going that route, but I am wide open to peripheral applications of traditional folk instruments as long as it sounds good and fits with the music.

My biggest problem is when people look at these instruments as toys, or something less legitimate than drumset and piano etc... These instruments are what carried music through history and have evolved into what we play today. These instruments have become technologically as well as musically advanced while maintaining their traditional applications.

I have a hard time playing with a "percussionist" who doesn't know how to play with a drummer (when I'm playing kit). It's easier for me on percussion to play with a drummer who is not used to playing with a percussionist because I understand how to use space. That is usually the most commonly violated principle among amateur percussionists that I have a problem with.

I gag when I see someone hit a djembe with sticks (unless it is one of the Remo/Meinl fake djembe-type drums). I blow chunks when I hear some idiot bashing away on timbales with no idea what they are doing. I soil myself when someone refers to congas as bongos or vice versa. These are just a few of the things that I find unbearable as a well versed percussionist.

I am a percussion snob, proud and quick to correct and condescend to anyone who treats these traditions as frivolities.

Now all I need is the triangle. I guess I can buy one and sample it myself. Next step: find a big church with great acoustics - and take some triangle lessons.

About 20 years ago, I used attend a percussion workshop and the triangle was the favourite instrument of the teacher who ran it. Even with a full tutti section, with every instrument in the orchestra belting it out, you can still hear the triangle above it all. Now that's power drumming!

I love hand percussion and at one time had a small collection of hand-drums. I was never that good at playing them - my principal instrument was guitar when I studied - but messing about with bongos and stuff stood me in good stead for when I decided to take up drumming.

Re 'needing' to play a whole kit in order to feel comfortable. Whatever suits the music is the only requirement. I love listening to Terry Cox on all those old Pentangle albums. He played the kit as if he were playing percussion, 'orchestrating' the music rather than laying down a beat and dominating it. Very subtle, but it suited the music. I can't play in that style, but I admire drummers who can.

To me...percussion is percussion. Wether I'm playing drum kit, marching percussion, concert percussion, mallet percussion, world percussion, or playing on a trash can lid...I'm just content playing percussion and I love every single moment of it!!!

Back