What to do when teacher gets a gig?

KamaK

Platinum Member
I have had the good fortune of working with a remarkable teacher. Well mannered, down to earth, does private at-home lessons, and is a remarkable drummer. There's never a question he can't answer, never a problem that he can't set me on the path to fixing.

The only down side.... He just landed a gig, and I fully expect I will not see him again anytime soon. I'm ecstatic for him, as he definitely deserves it.

While I can certainly keep myself busy and playing and doing internet Drumeo-style lessons here and there, I dawns on me that my instructor was he one who forced me to practice the things that I would have never undertaken on my own. Latin stuff, odd hand/foot stuff, linear patterns, written notation, etc.

What do teacher-less drummers do to strike a balance between playing, learning, and practicing? How does one go about finding practice routine elements that have little to do with what you play, but benefit you immensely nonetheless?

I think you're leaving out part of the story; is this band going to cause him to stop teaching? Is he on tour? Why do you think you won't be able to work with him?

As for your questions, if he's no longer able to teach, then maybe look around for another teacher. In addition to a teacher, it's always a great idea to practice on your own or to use self-learning resources like drumeo.

Let's get the obvious question out of the way: Can you find another teacher? Might be good to get another perspective.

@TC, yes, and looking at their tour page, they're booked through November.

@Drumdevil: Possibly, but probably not. Not a lot of teachers are willing to do a 2h at-home lesson once a month. Given my profession, kids, and crazy schedule, it would be difficult for me to visit a music store once a month for a 2h session.

@Midnight: Indeed. I have a "Wednesday Night Music Club" once a week, though 75% of the time I'm on guitar, bass, or keys. Unfortunately, it's playing stuff I know, and not anything new or foreign to me.

You were taking lessons from a punk drummer???

(I'm not saying it's bad. It's just interesting.)

You were taking lessons from a punk drummer???
(I'm not saying it's bad. It's just interesting.)

I'd categorize him (even though it's rude) as a career drummer. It appears he was hired by a touring thrash/metal band. I personally would not consider it punk, but definitions change with the years I guess, and I'm not willing to be part of the punk-police and tell others what is/not punk.

I've seen him do jazz, latin, straight rock, etc. Does clinics, plays in avant garde bands and an AIC tribute band. Does lessons, works as a drum technician for some 'Named' drummers. https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgeSnare/videos

Hell of a teacher, and I'm lucky to study with him.

Last edited:
I'd categorize him (even though it's rude) as a career drummer. It appears he was hired by a touring thrash/metal band. I personally would not consider it punk, but definitions change with the years I guess, and I'm not willing to be part of the punk-police and tell others what is/not punk.

I've seen him do jazz, latin, straight rock, etc. Does clinics, plays in avant garde bands and an AIC tribute band. Does lessons, works as a drum technician for some 'Named' drummers. https://www.youtube.com/user/EdgeSnare/videos

Hell of a teacher, and I'm lucky to study with him.

Excellent !

Hey, it sounds like they are a smart punk trash metal band.
They hired a good drummer !!

When I go on tour I have a guy that fills in and covers my lessons. ...

Have you asked your teacher if he could recommend someone who could fill in during his absence? Perhaps he knows another accomplished drum teacher who he could communicate his lesson plan/strategy so that you are not starting over with someone else.

Have you asked your teacher if he could recommend someone who could fill in during his absence? Perhaps he knows another accomplished drum teacher who he could communicate his lesson plan/strategy so that you are not starting over with someone else.

This!

I believe his recommendation should carry a lot more weight than those on an internet forum.

That's a great idea, and I'll try that.

Peace, love, and goodwill.

Excellent !

Hey, it sounds like they are a smart punk trash metal band.
They hired a good drummer !!

It's just metal. Nothing to do with punk that I saw.

Anyhoo, my last teacher would take off for months while on tour cross country. Never really bothered me and we picked up when she got back from each tour for the regular lessons.

Back