The Train Beat

Inspired by Lefty2 and his country metal video, I figured if a country drummer could learn metal technique, why not a metal guy learn country technique?

Honestly I have never even attempted a train beat until recently, so my knowledge of it is almost non-existent. Here's what I did: rlRl rlRl with my feet alternating between kick/hats on the r & R respectively. Am I even close? Are there different kinds of train beat? How expressive can a train beat get before becoming a snare solo? Are they only used in country and is relative genres?

I found it to be a bit mentally difficult at first also. Seems much harder than it sounds, or maybe it is just me.

I too come from hard rock metal drumming influences. If you’ve ever seen Petticoat Junction and hearing the theme song. My way of transcribing it would be Rrll rrll or alternate lead hands. There are probably variations of train beats with accents over each 16th note. Maybe brushing it would help as when I try it with drumsticks it is a little projected than what I want.

The basic one most people talk about is a pretty straight-forward pattern.

rlRl

Usually I do hats on the accents and bass drum on the opposite. Think of that accent note as your backbeat to the train cycle.

Usually I count like:
Code:
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
r l [B][COLOR="red"]R[/COLOR][/B] l r l [B][COLOR="Red"]R[/COLOR][/B] l

Close the hats on 2 and 4, hit bass on 1 n 3. Utilize stick heights to keep all the notes the same volume and sound except the accent that you want to bring the stick up higher for and lean into.

Inspired by Lefty2 and his country metal video, I figured if a country drummer could learn metal technique, why not a metal guy learn country technique?

Honestly I have never even attempted a train beat until recently, so my knowledge of it is almost non-existent. Here's what I did: rlRl rlRl with my feet alternating between kick/hats on the r & R respectively. Am I even close? Are there different kinds of train beat? How expressive can a train beat get before becoming a snare solo? Are they only used in country and is relative genres?

I found it to be a bit mentally difficult at first also. Seems much harder than it sounds, or maybe it is just me.

I'm no expert, but that's how I was taught.
Sometimes, I'll mix it up with rlRl rlRL

I'd say work on the standard rlRl until you get that feeling good. Then try your hand at the llRr doubles, which you can alternate leads for if you like.

Then start working in the ability to put accents anywhere you like without losing time or your place. Lastly, work on doing some around the kit fills along with your train beat.

That's how I went about it. Mine came about because it was requested by a guitar player and I hadn't really looked at it before that either, same reason... I played mostly rock and hard stuff.

That'd be the basic pattern. Accenting the & of 4 as well like 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & is also common. You can also switch it around, play longer phrases etc..... you get the idea.

Experiment with rimshots on accents or playing softer with rods or brushes.

If you're bored, you can lead with your left. :)

What I don't get about metal guys doing train beats....it's a single stroke roll. OK with an accent. Metal guys know all about that.

What I don't get about metal guys doing train beats....it's a single stroke roll. OK with an accent. Metal guys know all about that.

It's dynamics, feel, muscle memory and ability to include other aspects that takes a bit of time to get down. Obviously single stroke rolls by themselves aren't difficult, but the overall feel and idea of this beat is a bit different than some other styles.

Funny, first time I really tried it and thought it was sorta like doing a slow blast beat. Just in different places and not so monotone. I immediately thought that couldn't be right!

Lots of good stuff here to try out.

What are some good songs with the train beat? Devil Went Down to Georgia I know has it, but can't really think of anymore off the top of my head.

Funny, first time I really tried it and thought it was sorta like doing a slow blast beat. Just in different places and not so monotone. I immediately thought that couldn't be right!

What are some good songs with the train beat? Devil Went Down to Georgia I know has it, but can't really think of anymore off the top of my head.

Not country per-say, but this is one of my favorite examples. Includes both accent patterns we've discussed here, as well as some pretty slick fills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bcxy7y8xpA

Not to mention, Morphine was ****ing sick and everyone should hear them. Dude plays a 2 string fret-less bass tuned real low paired with a baritone sax and drummer.

Not country per-say, but this is one of my favorite examples. Includes both accent patterns we've discussed here, as well as some pretty slick fills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bcxy7y8xpA

Not to mention, Morphine was ****ing sick and everyone should hear them. Dude plays a 2 string fret-less bass tuned real low paired with a baritone sax and drummer.

Never heard of them before either. Definitely a "revisit" when I have more time.

Thanks!

(would it hurt to have a "thumbs up" thingy we could hit to mark great posts?)

Hey cool, I really dug both of those tunes. I liked how the Morphine song incorporated toms into the beat yet the overall feel was never compromised. And that Metheny song, wow that train was flying. Definitely lots of discipline to play just that beat too, nothing else. Thanks!

It's dynamics, feel, muscle memory and ability to include other aspects that takes a bit of time to get down. Obviously single stroke rolls by themselves aren't difficult, but the overall feel and idea of this beat is a bit different than some other styles.

You're right, a slow SSR is fairly easy. That's why I don't get the difficulty with the TB. Dynamics..OK you can't play it too loud, but it's basically at one global dynamic. Yes it has an accent or 2...Muscle memory? For a slow SSR? disagree. Ability to include other aspects....when doing a train beat, that's the only thing that has to be done. The rest is optional.

Larry that is witty! Are you saying to blast the train beat? :)

Well that wasn't my intention. Isn't blasting the train beat really a blast beat?

Billy Joel's "Travelin' Prayer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1K80k4NLio

You're right, a slow SSR is fairly easy. That's why I don't get the difficulty with the TB. Dynamics..OK you can't play it too loud, but it's basically at one global dynamic. Yes it has an accent or 2...Muscle memory? For a slow SSR? disagree.
I don't think that people are finding it especially "difficult" per say, it's just that they know there's good knowledge here to mine if you ask the right questions.

What I meant by "muscle memory" is that at least in my brain, things like that, I need to work on and think about until they become something I can execute to a high standard literally without thinking about it. This free-s up my mind to listen, and think about other things I might need to react to or add/subtract.

Another interesting aspect to the "TB" is often it's non-stopness. You sort of mention it yourself, sometimes a song that calls for a TB calls ONLY for just the TB. It's common for me to see drummers in the early stages of learning this beat who can only really do it to a high standard for maybe a few measures before it starts to sound a little sloppy. Another aspect is that it's easy with a droning beat like this to accidentally turn the beat around and mess up the placement of your accent which can have a lot of consequence in the music.

You're a little jaded to stuff like this, Lar, because you're good at it. And I've watched you go through painstaking process to get there. Playing even simpler stuff for hours with the intention of close study and repetition.

This beat is a fantastic one for drummers of all styles to master if you ask me. It will translate to other skills and really cool things. Plus, you can bust it out with confidence the next time you hear a country tune get called.

Ability to include other aspects....when doing a train beat, that's the only thing that has to be done. The rest is optional.
I'd argue it's only optional if you have the options under your belt. Otherwise you're kinda just pretending it's optional.

VIVA LA TRAIN BEAT!!!

Back