American Idol

That whole ridiculous program is absolute proof that music is not a democracy. It went down hill the minute they allowed the bubble gummers to vote, and I haven't paid much attention to it, or the lackluster singers it has produced since.
Those kids can sing way better than most of the people we hear on the radio. Especially the latest group. Half of them are under 18.

This is exactly why I have a buddy that won't post on these sites. You open up and tell people about your interests, and than they judge you. If you don't like the show, than go watch what you like. Or better still, tell us what you like, and I can jump all over it. See how you like it.

Remember that this is a "popularity" contest and nothing more.
These things happen when the American public decide the outcome. I work in IT and I deal with people who can't do the simplest things (like typing their names correctly, yes seriously) so if I look at the number of users on my network and then extrapolate that into the entire nation there has to be a large number of ID10Ts calling in.
OK, maybe just people with different ideas than me.
Anyway, winning this thing has only really worked out for a few.
How about:
Taylor Hicks - I've heard better singers in my local bar.
Kris Allen - Hasn't done much
Lee DeWyze (sp?) from last season. Not exactly headed to the top.
I wish them all well in regards to whatever level of success they can achieve.
A.I. brings contestants talent to the masses and those who are truly great performers can get their shot at the big time.
Jennifer Hudson, Chris Daughtry and a few others did not win but have gone on to do well.
So I don't really care who wins (I just know I have an opinion on who I don't want to win.)
Hopefully it will be one of the cute women/girls.
I'm just shallow that way. j/k ...
.... or am I?

This is exactly why I have a buddy that won't post on these sites. You open up and tell people about your interests, and than they judge you. If you don't like the show, than go watch what you like. Or better still, tell us what you like, and I can jump all over it. See how you like it.

Don't worry about those sort of comments.
Do you REALLY care what someone's opinion who doesn't even know you personally is?
I don't even care what people who actually know me think.
Anyone who does know me would tell you the same.
Post away and judging be damned!

Its funny to see a post about worring over other peaople point of view... it kinda IS the problem we face today... and to a degree, what people in the past faced within our very great but very young country.

If anything the most important lesson for us all is to be true to our hearts, yeah it sounds corney and all but its really true. Lots of posts like what cymbal, pedal, drum, toilet paper, ok I added that, should "I" buy and the great thing about drumming, IMO, is that YOU the drummer get to decide whats best. I'm a big beliver that if your favorite drummer played paper mache drums you'd want a set... doesnt make them good, better, or best.

American Idol is Sooo a popularity contest but this season has been really fun... probably the best talent top to bottom. With that said I agree with the others, you don't need to win it to become successfull and winning it doesnt mean you've made it.

Sad to see Pia go because she is very attractive. I hope Casey wins... gotta love his individuality.

... Stepping off the soap box and shutting the hell up! ...

I am totally done with A.I. what a crock O shit..Pia was by far the best singer and the liberal crap judges used the save wayy to early..Typical Liberal thing to do, then they all sit there in shock because they saved someone who did not deserve to be saved because it was "NICE" to do.pffttt pathetic.

And for the Record Iggy pop sucked.. I felt embarrased for him, he looked like an idiot, and he can't sing anymore either.

I was never a pia fan but I'd like to see her in a bathing suit. I thought little Thia had a great voice for such a baby. I like the two girls left but I think Lauren has the edge. The guys you can have em all for me. Freakin Iggy..man what was that all about?

Saying that American Idol is nothing but a popularity contest, or possibly even completely rigged, is like saying wrestling is fake. We know. It's not news.

We all know it's a popularity contest. It wouldn't surprise me if the ENTIRE thing was scripted. I still watch it. I can say though that I've never voted even once......ever.

I thought for sure it was going to be Casey, and Pia, down to the end.

I saw the first series or two of Australian Idol. At least it's televised live music and there's no denying that there's some strong talent on display.

But there's too much hype and faffing about, and not enough music. Do I care if an up-and-comer gets weepy because he or she missed out on the lottery and is forced to pay their dues in dives like everyone else who wants to make it?

No!

Hell, I missed out and sold my soul and rotted away into the pathetic DW-addicted goof you see here today after two decades working for the bloody gumment - and I'm not whingeing (much).

ahem ... returning to sanity again ... it would help if the music wasn't so cutesie pie and with so much oversinging to wow the judges. Just sing the darn song already and skip the endless melismatic warblings, guys!

If the judges are going to reward flash and not get so interested in lyricism and interpretation then it's just a triumph of form over content ... *sigh*

Those kids can sing way better than most of the people we hear on the radio. Especially the latest group. Half of them are under 18.

Yeah, but the problem is that too many great singers on there get 86'd because the adolescent nitwits that vote don't know crap about music, only about pretty faces.

Yeah, but the problem is that too many great singers on there get 86'd because the adolescent nitwits that vote don't know crap about music, only about pretty faces.

That's the world today. A wannabe female singer can do as much for her career by have a nose and boob job as having singing lessons. Gotta be spunky or you gotta have a gimmick (or actually be a great singer like Susan Boyle, but let's not be too fussy about it).

When is Drum Idol going to start?

I'd be expecting hordes of cute young hyper-athletic lads, twirlin' them sticks around, hamming up their strokes to the nth degree, whipping out complex high speed polyrhythms to Billie Jean ... I'd watch it :)

That's the world today. A wannabe female singer can do as much for her career by have a nose and boob job as having singing lessons. Gotta be spunky or you gotta have a gimmick (or actually be a great singer like Susan Boyle, but let's not be too fussy about it).

When is Drum Idol going to start?

I'd be expecting hordes of cute young hyper-athletic lads, twirlin' them sticks around, hamming up their strokes to the nth degree, whipping out complex high speed polyrhythms to Billie Jean ... I'd watch it :)

Now don't get carried away with the imagination, after all, thou art comingling talent with looks in the latter example. ;o} I'm sure a lot of us guys wouldn't mind seeing some cute young females in thong bikinis, but would doubt seriously that they could even spell syncopate, much less perform any, which of course brings us back to the stark reality of your first paragraph, sigh. :)

And I am still mulling in my mind, would America have ever chosen a Susan Boyle.......................................

Aha, yet thou art comingling talent with looks in the latter example. ;o} I'm sure a lot of us guys wouldn't mind seeing some cute young females in thong bikinis, but would doubt seriously that they could even syncopate, which of course brings us back to the stark reality of your first paragraph, sigh............:)

Comingling??? lol. It sounds like something you'd say to a fish when it knocks at your door :)

You know, I can't think of a talent show that was ever more than mildly interesting, often far worse than that. I saw quite a few of these shows when I was young and they were pretty painful too. Endless renditions of To Dream the Impossible Dream and My Way and God Bless the Child - give me a break!

It's hard to imagine a talent show that focuses on original talents with something interesting and new to offer. "Talent show" is as much of an oxymoron as "adult shop". George Orwell foresaw it all ... black really is white in the absence of light ...

Comingling??? lol. It sounds like something you'd say to a fish when it knocks at your door :)

The only fish that knocks on my door is a mud shark, and yes, I do say things like that to it, as well as "brown shoes don't make it, and what are you doing even wearing shoes, you stupid shark!". :)

You know, I can't think of a talent show that was ever more than mildly interesting, often far worse than that. I saw quite a few of these shows when I was young and they were pretty painful too. Endless renditions of To Dream the Impossible Dream and My Way and God Bless the Child - give me a break!

It's hard to imagine a talent show that focuses on original talents with something interesting and new to offer. "Talent show" is as much of an oxymoron as "adult shop". George Orwell foresaw it all ... black really is white in the absence of light ...

I actually think Idol would produce some nice talent if they left it with judges that knew talent when they saw it, and take the voting away from the masses, who clearly do not. They could put some real vocalists on there that are great natural singers, ike Steve Perry, Ian Gillan, Steve Walsh, Dionne Warwick, Sarah Brightman, and Whitney Houston and come up light years ahead of what they have produced the past few years. Who would we rather judge the best up and coming drummers - millions of know-nothing teenagers, or a panel of proven, sound, excellent drummers, without interference from the masses? Of course, our mind is on quality, not TV ratings, which is where the problem really lies.

The only fish that knocks on my door is a mud shark, and yes, I do say things like that to it, as well as "brown shoes don't make it, and what are you doing even wearing shoes, you stupid shark!". :)

Doc, now you're just being silly. A shark that came knocking on your door is hardly going to be wearing shoes, is it??

I actually think Idol would produce some nice talent if they left it with judges that knew talent when they saw it, and take the voting away from the masses, who clearly do not.... Of course, our mind is on quality, not TV ratings, which is where the problem really lies.

I find the judges seem to be pretty knowledgeable - either industry people or performers themselves (in Oz Idol anyway). The issue is their focus and brief, which as you say is about populism. They're paid to be narrow-minded.

Do we appeal to the lowest common denominator, satisfied that we are catering for a presumed majority (of consumers at least) or do we challenge audiences' preconceptions, give them the chance to stretch a little?

Given the tightness of the scene today, uncompromisingly honest musical expression is a luxury very few can afford. The best most of us can manage is to find the most populist side of our musical tastes and focus on that side of it to get gigs ... the crazy, out there stuff we enjoy is relegated to side projects.

I find the judges seem to be pretty knowledgeable - either industry people or performers themselves (in Oz Idol anyway). The issue is their focus and brief, which as you say is about populism. They're paid to be narrow-minded.

Do we appeal to the lowest common denominator, satisfied that we are catering for a presumed majority (of consumers at least) or do we challenge audiences' preconceptions, give them the chance to stretch a little?

Given the tightness of the scene today, uncompromisingly honest musical expression is a luxury very few can afford. The best most of us can manage is to find the most populist side of our musical tastes and focus on that side of it to get gigs ... the crazy, out there stuff we enjoy is relegated to side projects.

The judges could be better. - I mean would you think someone like Simon a great judge of drumming abilities?

Unfortunately today much of the live scene around me has gone the way of the DUI Law Bar scene (ie extremely diminished), or as cover groups playing at Yuppie birthday parties. There just isn't a strong market for music, sadly. But as far as American Idol is concerned, as I see it, they have basically two possible missions - to produce quality singers, or be the highest rated TV program each week. I think we all know which one they chose.

The judges could be better. - I mean would you think someone like Simon a great judge of drumming abilities?

Unfortunately today much of the live scene around me has gone the way of the DUI Law Bar scene (ie extremely diminished), or as cover groups playing at Yuppie birthday parties. There just isn't a strong market for music, sadly. But as far as American Idol is concerned, as I see it, they have basically two possible missions - to produce quality singers, or be the highest rated TV program each week. I think we all know which one they chose.

DUI laws, noise laws, gaming machines, disco/techno ... online seems to be the way to go. Or busking.

As for commercial TV ... yup, they're going to follow the dollars every time. I guess government funded TV could take up the slack - in an ideal world the show's mission would be to unearth original talent.

Back