Low tuning on single ply heads

ilikedrumming

As much as I tune and tweak them, I cannot get the low thunderous sound that I want on either my 12" or 16" toms. Should I switch to 2 plies? I am using Remo Coated Ambassador X's right now.

Yes, two plies will help.
More mass in the head will give your toms a lower warmer sound.
The same goes with die cast hoops.
More mass = lower frequency.

As much as I tune and tweak them, I cannot get the low thunderous sound that I want on either my 12" or 16" toms. Should I switch to 2 plies? I am using Remo Coated Ambassador X's right now.

I myself consider Ambassadors to be more of a resonant head. It isn't really a matter of plies but thickness, there's single plies thicker than 2 plies out there. When I use Remo's I use Ambassador's as bottom heads to get a nice ring, and Powerstroke 3 or Pinstripe tops. It gives a great sound full deep sound. Sometimes I add an extra ring on top of they PS3 or Pinstripe to dampen it more, it works well with or without the rings.

Derek roddy uses those heads and his drums are very deep. Maybe tweak your reso head aswell as your batter. Also what kit are you usimg

Countless different pro drummers use ambassadors for batter heads, with great results obviously, but they use high end kits and what you hear from them is always miced up. I imagine that OP is playing at home, so find the thickest and most muffled head posssible and tune them low, that may be the sound you're looking for.

I personally prefer Aquarian drum heads over Evans and Remo. I find they give a deeper tone. I currently use Aquarian Response II coated.

I personally prefer Aquarian drum heads over Evans and Remo. I find they give a deeper tone. I currently use Aquarian Response II coated.

Aquarians are very weird to me... With identical tuning, they will sound deeper than Remo or Evans, but I find that they won't actually physically tune as low as them.

So for deep tones from a comparatively high tuning, my choice would be Aquarian, but if you want to tune loose I would definitely go for Evans or Remo. (To make matters more complicated, I like Evans coated heads and Remo clear heads for lower tuning.)

Disclaimer: This is purely based on my personal experience; there's no actual science behind this claim.

I also find that Aquarian coated heads last longer than any other head, as far as the "coating" on the head goes. The others seem to wear and chip too fast.

Back